NEW BOATER!! Repairing stringers

Bigreddon

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I read this on another page...
"For your deck you can use the 1.5 CSM on both sides and you will probably be just fine. Some folks on here recommend a light weight cloth instead. The cloth will leave a smoother finish. If your boat is fiberglass then you will need to tab the deck to the hull with something more substansive like 1708 biaxial cloth. I used 1708 tabbing first and then completely covered the top of my deck with 2 oz CSM. If your boat is a tinny then you can skip the tabbing part." -end quote

I have a very good bed and filled edges from the deck to the hull. This person said of I have "a tiny boat" the tabbing can be skipped. When I removed the floor and was grinding te old epoxy away, I am pretty sure it was all epoxy, with no tabbing. So last question...can I skip the tabbing? My floor is hella solid, and I will have one more layer of glass onto the hull when I cover the floor.
Will this be sufficient? Keeping costs down is fine in my book, and I'm
Not racing the thing or going onto the ocean. Lake cruiser only. I know it won't hurt with the tabbing, but if it isn't absolutely necessary....

Last edited:

rickryder

Commander
Looks real good.... I used 1708 for my deck... I like the texture it adds some non skid to it :)

Bigreddon

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I let my 8 year old help, by cutting 7 inch strips. This is the first piece.

Bigreddon

Petty Officer 2nd Class
...and thanks to friscoboater ...and his "hero move" over the stringers!! One piece up and over the stringer can be done easily. He gave props to woodonglass...as shall I. I saw how friscoboater used one layup of 1708 for the tabs, which is the route I'm going. It's really, really, strong...and combined with the epoxy resin bedding of the floor...I can't even imagine a situation where this would come loose, delaminate, or leak water. I can't wait to see this thread be in the closed threads sections!! I like sextions better. FYI...I'm a goofball and like it when people rip on me...as long as those doing the ripping are correct in their assessments. Yes..I said ASSessment.

Last edited:

Bigreddon

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Looks real good.... I used 1708 for my deck... I like the texture it adds some non skid to it :)
...not for the fact of appearance or grip...but for the reliability of the boat. I'm going to lay down outdoor carpet over the floor anyway, so I don't care how it looks or grips. I just want to make sure it's safe and strong.

Bigreddon

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Round 2 of tabbing!! 1708 all around. Next up is the fuel tank/power trim hydraulics/battery bay under the transom. Also included for your enjoyment...paint cans holding down lumber that are holding in the plugs in the floor that were used for foam!!! Also epoxied the deck joints. Gonna go ahead and finish this project with west marine epoxy. Expensive..yes. Easy to mix, thicken and apply...hell yes.

Bigreddon

Petty Officer 2nd Class
For what it's worth....the west marine epoxy resin is worth every penny. It has a great working time, is predictable in its absorption of fillers,(your pick..sawdust, their brand, talc, flour, etc) is ?ber forgiving in ratios(not that you have to worry about that with the pumps for said products). It really is a game changer for resins. I'm 45 and have had limited success from the age of 15 with epoxies, resins, and such. From the bondo on my first car at 15, to the motorcycle fairings when I was 21, and hot tub repairs as a home owner, ...that west system resin is the ****. All threads about what epoxy or resin to use need to stop, and just tell everyone who asks to use it. End of story.

Bigreddon

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Well..almost done!!! I tabbed in the sole and the area under the rear, and laid down the CSM on the floor. My first shot at csm I used a spreader like I did on the 1708. Wrong. It just shredded the csm. I had to pull that off and got the rollers I needed. I came up a little short in my epoxy because of that, but I am so nearly done!!! I built the transition from the floor to the transom area, and tabbed and foam that all in. I'm excited and stoked at my first shot at this!!!!

Last edited:

Bigreddon

Petty Officer 2nd Class
All glasswork done!! Now...back to square one of replacing worn out carpet!!! Carpet out, new carpet bought (lowes for $0.50 sq ft) and then seal up th seat mounts !!! Take dad out for his 70th bday on the maiden voyage. Pics to follow soon. Thanks again everyone for the advice and tips.

Bigreddon

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Got the carpet trimmed and for this morning. Gonna go pick up the adhesive this afternoon.