Project Fuggly - No Longer Fuggly And Splashed!!!!!!

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
That is a serious engine stand you have! I be that thing would hold a diesel engine.

LOL! the hoist is actually bigger than the stand! As long as the 6 is, it puts a pretty good load on the stand.

On a side note, had a not very much fun trip to the hospital with chest pains.....which seems to be a mystery, after every test they could run, I have a great heart and no clue why my chest hurt! Only thing they can figure is stress, so I am taking some time off from work and relaxing. Very expensive way to find out you need a vacation, lol!

I did tinker with the motor for a few minutes today. Still no spark, need to think about that.... I think I'm going to go ahead and order a Pertronix electronic conversion kit. The condinsor and points look suspect, and I know jack squat about points. These motors come with an external resister, which I have no idea how to test...so I'm going to give Pertronix a call tomorrow and quiz them about the resister, and conversion. Hopefully that will eliminate the resistor, along with ditching the points.

Hopefully I will have some fire soon and get started on putting the hull back together. Hope everyone had a great weekend!

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Watch the ticker and take it easy, Arch. It's hard to work on the boat from a hospital bed. All the tubes and wires get in the way.

Speaking of wires, what a seque - You should be able to bypass (not the medical way) the resistor and anything else. Run a wire from the positive on the starter to the + pole on the coil. It won't hurt anything by putting higher voltage through the coil while cranking, the resistor is bypassed then anyway or for a short run.

Willyclay

Captain
I think I'm going to go ahead and order a Pertronix electronic conversion kit.

Glad to hear you got cleared of any serious conditions but stress can be a ***** so take care of yourself. Your fan club is pulling for you!

No spark makes me think "condenser" but I have a lot of experience with the Pertronix conversions from my previous life and am a BIG fan. Good luck!

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Glad they didn't find anything serious with the ticker ! Get some needed r&r Arch !

dozerII

Admiral
Tinkering with the boat is one of the best forms of stress relief there is so tinker away. I went through the same thing a year ago, chest pains that they could not explain, Doc sent me to the big city anyway for an angiogram, which ended up with a stent to open an over 80 % blocked artery. Be careful and take it easy.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Thanks for the though and good wishes guys! GA you are right about all those tubes and wires.....I had more wires on me than the 6 cylinder! I basically did what you are saying yesterday GA. I took everything off the coil and hooked it up to the remote starter I have. Noting, which is why I'm thinking something in the distributor. I'm going to stick the old coil and cap on it today for grins to see what happens. I really think its the condinsor / points.

Patfromny

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Hey Arch, hope all goes well with the chest pains, not a symptom any of us slightly older boat builders really want to deal with. On the no spark issue, speaking from an old muscle car restorers view point I can tell u a few things that may or may not help. Mfirst, to adjust the points, bring the points up onto one of the high spots on the dist. Shaft then adjust with a feeler gauge and Allen key. Second, the elec. conversions are a breeze but that brings me to my third thought. A points system always ran off a resistor wire putting out 8 volts where aa elec. ignition sys. Use 12. If u have been jumping the points with 12 volts u could have blown the condensor.
Hope this helped and take care of yourself.

Patfromny

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Sorry, posted before thinking all the way through. The 8volt wire went to the coil so maybe the coil can'/won't function on 12 volts. Worth a looking into. If the points look dirty u can just Emory cloth the two pads to clean and set the gap as above. Good luck on all fronts

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Thanks for the info Pat. I did talk with Pertronix today about the conversion. I went ahead and ordered it and also a new coil. The coil was 30$ and gets rid of the resistor. I can't imagine how much the resistor would be if I had to replace it (soundys like an OEM part to me $$$) so 30$ sounds like a cheap investment. It will be here Wednesday....I'm going to wait till then and just swap the whole mess out. Hopefully then we will have some spark and maybe the start-up!

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
When the motor is cranking the coil gets the full 12 volts. In run the dropping resistor reduces the voltage. But all a moot points since you're waiting for the Pertronix. I just want to see the old gal run! :D

Patfromny

Lieutenant Junior Grade
U will love the electronic ignition, I liked the Petronix because it fit under the stock cap and looked original on a restore. i never liked the points systems, adjusting the points with a dwell meter with an Allen key stuck through that stupid little window while the car was running is one of my least favorite memories of my days tinkering with cars. Can't wait for the video Of the start.

zool

Captain
With names like "flamethrower" and "Ignitor"....spark should come naturally! :D

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Houston, we have ignition....

Don't have water or fuel hooked up, but she LIVES! I'll pull her out a hook her up the the vitals later this weekend and do some tweaking. But I now know where to put the motor mounts....so time to start putting the girl back together!

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Cool Beans, Lots of hard work, prep and good stuff there. Been on your thread for awhile. Just stopping in.Gazzz her up!