1959 Lone Star El Dorado "Project Texas Tornado" - Winner 2016 Resto SOTY Award

ssdale

Starmada Splash of the Year 2016
Your over the hump now, and I agree that from here on re-assembly if very rewarding. Always takes longer than you think. Keep going when you can!
Dale

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Looking good Luke. So do you have one of the tilt only pumps for your motor?

TruckDrivingFool

Lieutenant Commander
Been lurking your rebuild for quite awhile so I suppose it's about time to post about how AWESOME she's looking!

Just because I didn't see it in the list are you doing any flotation under the floor?

Luke000

Restoration Forum Splash of the Year 2016
Well looks like I have slipped a little bit with the updates and I apologize but since my last update I have been working 2-3 days each week on the boat and she is starting to look like a vessel again!....Almost...

Since the last update I have:
  • Installed the NFB steering system
  • Hooked up motor controls
  • Installed 800GPH bilge pump
  • Cleaned the trim pieces
  • Cleats installed
  • Switch panel and fuse block installed
  • Side panels cut
  • Rear section of floor installed
​I still have not run any wires for the boats system but I ordered a fuel tank, carpet, and some other small electrical components.

I have two questions for the collective knowledge base- What Should I do for flotation foam behind the side panels, I cant use the expanding foam for below the floor because I have nothing to keep it contained, so it will have to be some sort of sheet foam. There is a foam factory a few miles away I can pick up a wide variety of products. I am trying to watch my budget at this point

The other question is for battery choice- I am sure a group 24 battery will be more than enough at 690 MCA but for the same price I can get a group 29 battery with quite a bit more capacity @ 845 MCA. The bigger physical size is not a concern for me, is there any reason I should not go for the 29?

Watermann

Sounds like you've been real busy, wish I could say "looks like" instead :lol:

All I've used is the rigid foam board insulation (pink or blue) in my boats.

So if the gp 29 batt is a marine starting battery then go for it, nothing wrong with more power. Only thing that could be a negative is the 29 weighs more than the 24.

Hey Luke you may have missed my question above about if you have a tilt only pump for your 70 Rude. I couldn't see one on it in the pics above.

Luke000

Sounds like you've been real busy, wish I could say "looks like" instead :lol:

All I've used is the rigid foam board insulation (pink or blue) in my boats.

So if the gp 29 batt is a marine starting battery then go for it, nothing wrong with more power. Only thing that could be a negative is the 29 weighs more than the 24.

Hey Luke you may have missed my question above about if you have a tilt only pump for your 70 Rude. I couldn't see one on it in the pics above.

Good to know and the motor is manual tilt/trim. Good old flip the lever and lift the engine :facepalm:

Watermann

If you want to send me a PM, I have the entire tilt electric hydraulic pump set up from my 55 Johnson that has been sitting in a bucket for 3 years after I went with the CMC TNT for my SN. It will tilt lift that 70 all day long so you don't have to either remotely from the helm or you could rig it at the stern too.

Last edited:

Watermann

Here's what the set up looks like if you're interested in adding it to the Texas Tornado.If so just PM me and we can switch over to email and I can get it shipped out to you. As simple as that, been needing to get the garage cleaned out and keeping stuff around that can help another tin head out isn't a good reason to store "boat junk" according to the admiral. :lol:

IMAG2346.jpg

Luke000

Here's what the set up looks like if you're interested in adding it to the Texas Tornado.If so just PM me and we can switch over to email and I can get it shipped out to you. As simple as that, been needing to get the garage cleaned out and keeping stuff around that can help another tin head out isn't a good reason to store "boat junk" according to the admiral. :lol:

IMAG2346.jpg

PM sent! :encouragement:

Luke000

Luke000

Interesting! Any particular reason you guys would recommend going with those particular options? Are they a different type of foam or density? Only reason I ask is they are about twice the cost and I need to get up to 4 inches thick to fill all the voids.

Luke

Edit: also what type of foam is it that you recommend? is it polystyrene or something different?

Last edited:

monriverguy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hey luke i used the stuff from lowes in my boat and yes it is pricey but it does P3270153.JPG seem to be good stuff. For the walls i cut two pieces 16 x 24 or so i think and they fit in there real good. When it comes time to cut it DONT USE THE HEAT knife i got one and a putty knife sharpen on both sides worked great nice clean cut....
just my TCW.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
The White foam you posted I believe is the same stuff the Cheap Ice coolers are made from. It WILL deteriorate over time. The foil faced one I've seen but never used. You need to ensure that the foam is Closed Cell. I know the Blue or Pink Stuff at Lowes is.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Extruded polystyrene (XPS) is closed cell, blue, pink or green and is what you want to use

NOT Expanded polystyrene (EPS), white and is what coolers are made of.

EPS is what was used in the 50s and 60s, but over time, the little styro balls end up in the bilge, not good for the bilge pump or below deck drainage, and it's not closed cell like XPS is.

Luke000

Thank you everyone for your input, I ended up going with the Owens Corning XPS boards. I got them all cut up and in the hull nice and tight. I also picked up 4 yards of vinyl to finish the side panels.

Here are some pics of what I have been up to:

monriverguy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
looking good Luke get it going so you can take her out you gonna love the way she floats..........

Luke000

I got a little bit of work done on the boat today, I got the speedometer pickup and pilot tube run, and with some help from my mom I got the side panels all finished up!