'83 Lund "Sirius" total gut and rebuild

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Okay, that beast of an engine will certainly push that hull to new highs. Nice pick and nice trailer welding and grinding. My adults sons told me you don't have to be a great welder, only a great grinder. :facepalm:

You look to be both. :thumb:

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Are you gunna keep her Charcoal Grey or Paint her White to match the boat a bit better???

nurseman

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Wood, I might go with white, but I was also toying with the idea of black with grey and red accents (in hull colors)

Mikeopsycho

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Nice find on the motor! Everything looks like it's coming along nicely. :encouragement:

nurseman

Lieutenant Junior Grade
So, managed to make a little more progress this weekend. I added some side bunks to the trailer, because I plan on boating in the Mississippi river, and thought some side guides would benefit in the current. (plus I like the way they look)
I started by making a set of guides so that I could keep the side bunks equal distance from the hull on both sides.

And the final placement.

The bunks will get the same treatment as the other bunks (WoG's old timers wood preservative + 2 coats of spar urethane) as well as carpet.

I also spent some time locating the break-away brake controller, as well as the tail and side marker lights. Didn't get any pics of that yet.
I realized yesterday that the end of my trailer build is in sight! I only have to finish off some welding under the fenders, add the floor plating on the steps, prime and paint, and run the wiring. I am going to fill out my build affidavit this week and apply for my registration at the DMV.

Last edited:

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Nice work nm ! Guides look great ! One day I'm gunna learn to weld .. I finally bought a small stick welder now I just need to run the power for it and the compressor..

gm280

Supreme Mariner
nurseman, excellent work there on the side bunks. They look great, and more importantly will work very well loading your boat in wind or current conditions. The trailer is coming along nicely. What are you going to use for the step fills? I used wood and carpet as well so not to worry about getting slippery when wet.

Welding is always a welcome addition to any shop's capability. Sam, I would suggest you get a nice MIG welding setup and go to it. It doesn't take long to get the hang of it and then the metal fabrication opens up widely. Amazing how easy it is to do and the number of times I use my MIG welder. One of those things you don't think you will use much until you get one.

Nurseman keep up the great work and posting those pictures.:thumb:

smccormick

Recruit
Nice work on your project. I am constantly looking for build/rebuild threads to watch it's just such great fun.

You cannibalized your old trailer and made it unusable/unsaleable, just move the plates over and if you're ever asked the trailer was refinished and the TID tag was sandblasted off. Who's to know, why go through the DMV horrors and pay them more money?

Here's my latest project if anyone is looking for a little entertainment http://messing-about.com/forums/topi...-hull-2-build/

Last edited:

nurseman

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Nice work nm ! Guides look great ! One day I'm gunna learn to weld .. I finally bought a small stick welder now I just need to run the power for it and the compressor..

Thanks Sam. I learned to weld way back in junior high school. Grew up on a farm, so learning to weld was kinda a rite of passage kinda thing. Sadly, my welds still look like "farmer welds":facepalm: Did you get a 110v or a 220v?

As always excellent work!!! And motor looks great

thanks minch! I can't wait to get that thing out on the water now!

nurseman, excellent work there on the side bunks. They look great, and more importantly will work very well loading your boat in wind or current conditions. The trailer is coming along nicely. What are you going to use for the step fills? I used wood and carpet as well so not to worry about getting slippery when wet.

gm, I could picture myself coming at a little bit of an angle and ramming the bow into the fenders or something like that, so I thought the side bunks to be a good idea. For the steps, I am using 12 ga. diamond floor plate, and I am planning on using the rustoleum roll on truck bedliner product. I did a sample piece, and it actually has a nice texture to it, plus it is very grippy. We will see how well it holds up...

nurseman

Lieutenant Junior Grade
You cannibalized your old trailer and made it unusable/unsaleable, just move the plates over and if you're ever asked the trailer was refinished and the TID tag was sandblasted off. Who's to know, why go through the DMV horrors and pay them more money?
:facepalm:

DMV isn't that bad where I'm from, and even if it was, it is the proper way to do it. I don't mind paying a few bucks to know that I am legal, without having to lie about it should I get stopped.
As for who will know, I will...

Last edited:

gm280

Supreme Mariner
NM, when I completely rebuilt my old trailer, They, the registration service, reregistered my finished trailer as a "home built" after the fact. And then I had to get a Georgia State Patrol to come to my home and visually look over the trailer and verify I installed the new registration number on the trailer. I riveted it just below the license plate area. But honestly, he really wasn't that interested in it. He glanced at the trailer and filled out the paperwork. I literally had to take him and show him where I installed the new ID number. So now my trailer is listed as home built even though it was actually heavily modified from original. So my conscience is clear anyway.

nurseman

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Here in MN, for a home built trailer, I have to fill out an affidavit stating how many axels, if it has brakes, frame size, axel capacity, and empty weight. I also have to provide the values of materials. I turn that in, pay the appropriate fee(s), an that's about it.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
All I had to do was bring in a certified weight of the trailer and that was it .. I think once it reaches a certain weight then you must provide more information ..

gm280

Supreme Mariner
All I had to do was bring in a certified weight of the trailer and that was it .. I think once it reaches a certain weight then you must provide more information ..

I guess what really matters is the MONEY they can collect. There really is no major concern for anything else. JMHO!

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Well us Dumb Ole' Okies don't have to Register our Trailers!!!! But...You better make sure and tie em down real good cuz they have a tendency to disappear REAL FAST!!!!

nurseman

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Haven't been moving really fast on things, but I have been moving forward. I decided that the white wheels were not going to cut it,

so out came the tape and rattle cans. Primer on both sides. I didn't think that you guys would want to see three wheels with primer. Trust me, they all looked like this one.

After the first coat of black.

And the trio after the second coat of black. I used Rustoleum high performance gloss black for these.

Also got the trailer primered and a coat of color on it. I didn't think to take any pics of the primer, but here is one of the color.

Last edited: