12' Springbok leaking hull along keel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deeper

Cadet
I have recently acquired an old 12ft aluminum Springbok that I want the kids to be able to use. When I got it, there was a big glob of putty in the area surrounded by white in the photo below (the top of the photo is the front of the boat - this area is where the bow begins to curve up). It leaked, but not too bad. The putty has come out and it leaks quite a bit now. I don't understand why this area is cut open anyway... is this how it was designed or did someone cut out this groove for some reason? Anyway, my main question is what should I use to plug this area back up?

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral
Please try to post the pic again so we can see what your problem is.

jbcurt00

Staff member
From the other Topic:
12' Springbok leaking along keel

And don't worry Deep, it's a forum glitch that generated the double Topics, not you... Along the same lines as why your pix didn't post in either Topic. Yes they are working on it.
Your pix didn't show up, try uploading the pix to photobucket & pasting the IMG code for the pix in your post.

From your description, I suspect you are referring to the area under the trolling motor laying in the bow in this pix:
Larson005_zps17dd02f2.jpg

Imagine a flat sheet of tin, it needed to have that slot cut into it to fold up into the rising semi-vee bow.

Post some pix of yours to confirm I'm correct and the guys will help you get it sorted out & safe for the kids to use.

Welcome to iboats

Yes, that is exactly the area - thank you. I'll work on the photo tomorrow - it's way past my bedtime!

If a MOD finds this, please combine the 2 Topics into 1 for Deeper.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
This one is closed...... two identical posts ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.