12' Springbok leaking along keel

Deeper

Cadet
I have recently acquired an old 12ft aluminum Springbok that I want the kids to be able to use. When I got it, there was a big glob of putty in the area surrounded by white in the photo below (the top of the photo is the front of the boat - this area is where the bow begins to curve up). It leaked, but not too bad. The putty has come out and it leaks quite a bit now. I don't understand why this area is cut open anyway... is this how it was designed or did someone cut out this groove for some reason? Anyway, my main question is what should I use to plug this area back up?

jbcurt00

Staff member
Your pix didn't show up, try uploading the pix to photobucket & pasting the IMG code for the pix in your post.

From your description, I suspect you are referring to the area under the trolling motor laying in the bow in this pix:
Larson005_zps17dd02f2.jpg

Imagine a flat sheet of tin, it needed to have that slot cut into it to fold up into a semi-vee bow.

Post some pix of yours to confirm I'm correct and the guys will help you get it sorted out & safe for the kids to use.

Welcome to iboats

Last edited:

Deeper

Cadet
Yes, that is exactly the area - thank you. I'll work on the photo tomorrow - it's way past my bedtime!

jbcurt00

Staff member
Ok, now how about a couple shots from the other side, looking up/down into the seam that's along that line of rivets on either side of the slot and another looking directly at the keel strip.

There is typically a factory seam sealer that after many years of exposure, can leak. Not 100% sure how Springboks were put together, but a few more pix will help.....

Deeper

Cadet
The boat's up north and I don't currently have any pictures. I'll be heading up in a few days. But, I've found another photo of an identical boat that shows how it's constructed.

The keel strip runs right from the back all the way up the bow to the nose. By looking at the keel strip, it's obvious that it's not meant to be watertight (also, there is a drain hole at the rear of the strip - you can see it in this pic also). So, when you're in the boat, looking at the bow (the groove in my first picture), you're looking at the inside of the keel strip. It seems as though the only thing keeping the water flowing in through the keel strip is some putty or some kind of blockage just behind where the groove begins inside. I can poke a straightened coat hanger into the groove towards the back and feel something soft a few inches back.

Deeper

Cadet
I've read about Sikaflex being good for fixing leaks. Has anyone used it? Is this area too large for this? It's over a half-inch diameter.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
If you use the Marine Grade version that's rated for below the water line. I know it's used by the wood boat builders a lot for sealing seams. Not sure about aluminum boats.

Deeper

Cadet
I'm going to try this again now that I have more info and pictures - hopefully I can find an answer.

The problem is that it is leaking through the keel strip. Underneath the boat, there is the keel strip that is riveted along the keel from front to back. The front part, as you can see in the pictures, has the rivets closer together and has a gasket or sealer in-between to keep out the water. There is no leaking in this part. The rear part is not water-tight, and is not meant to be. So, in-between the front and rear parts, on the inside of the keel strip, is some kind of putty or something that was meant to divide the two and keep the water out of the front part. This is where it's leaking, through the putty. The water comes inside the boat at the part that is highlighted white on the floor, at the start of where it's cut out (see other photo). The existing putty is a few inches back from the start of the cut-out.

So, my question is: What can I use to plug the hole? The groove is at least 3/4" x 3/4", probably more. What was this putty that was originally used when they built the boat? Is there a newer product that would work better? I'm guessing it would have to be somewhat flexible.

Photos:
Underneath: notice the difference in the rivets... the front section (with rivets closer together and a gasket/sealer) is watertight, the rear section (with rivets farther apart) is not. On the inside of this keel strip, there is some putty between the rear and front sections to keep the water from flowing into the front section. Water is leaking through this putty.

Here is the inside of the boat. The water comes in at the area highlighted white. I didn't put the boat in for long, but the leak is substantial enough that I wouldn't want to go anywhere with it:

So, big question, what kind of putty or whatever else can I use to plug the inside of the keel strip?

jbcurt00

Staff member
W/ proper prep & application Gluvit should do it, you may need to tip the boat up toward the bow to help keep the gluvit where you put it.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
I've heard that Home Depot is now stocking Coat-It which is the exact same thing as Gluvit only less expensive and it's Black instead of Clear.

Deeper

Cadet
I'll check that out... I'm hoping for something cheaper as I'd hate to have to pay $80 for a can of Gluvit when I'd only need an ounce or two. Does anyone know of anything else similar to Gluvit that comes in small quantities?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Again, I am NOT a Tinner, never owned one, but I do like to research anything and everything concerning boat repair and in doing so, I ran across this...
http://www.captaintolley.com/

I offer it up for your consideration and you will have to decide based on what you read and determine from the advertisement. I am NOT recommending it in any way.:eek:

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral
So, my question is: What can I use to plug the hole? The groove is at least 3/4" x 3/4", probably more. What was this putty that was originally used when they built the boat? Is there a newer product that would work better? I'm guessing it would have to be somewhat flexible.

I'd give this stuff a shot:
http://www.acehardware.com/product/i...la=pla_3850362

It's a waterproof expanding adhesive sealant. Squirt some into the hole and let it expand and push out the open end, when it cures in a few minutes cut and trim the excess.

If it works you'll have a lot leftover to replace it if you need to, if you don't need to replace it I'm sure you can find other stuff around the house to use it on.

The Gluvit, Coat-it, and Captain Tolley's are good for sealing rivets, but that doesn't sound like what your problem is by the way you describe it... it sounds like you need to plug the large hole in the keel strip between the watertight and not watertight section.

I don't know what the marine putty they used at the factory was the used to plug the hole, or even if they still make the stuff... but evidently it has dried and shrunk and now you have leak problems.

You may be able to use some type of caulk product like the Sikaflex mentioned above, but they're usually only recommended for a 3/8"x3/8" max. void and you'd have problems with it keeping the void filled. I think the foam would be the quickest, easiest, longest lasting, and most user friendly fix.

If you try it let us know how it works.

Last edited:

Deeper

Cadet
Back from the cottage... thank you all for the suggestions. Now to see what is available here in Canada without having to pay shipping or $$$. The Great Stuff Pond and Stone looks promising. Any Canadians have any input?