1991 Searay 170 Stringer Floor Rebuild

jakehorton15

Seaman
This is my first post here on iboats and Ive been creeping around on here reading other threads for several months now. A brief history of the boat: My roommate owns a 91 17 foot Searay with a 3.0 Mercruiser alpha 1. When the boat was purchased the previous owners had NO idea what they were doing, the whole boat was rigged up and even had duck tape in some places. They left it outdoors with no cover for who knows how long. My roommate and I have used the boat for about 2 years since it was purchased and after inspection and observation it was obvious the floor couldnt handle another summer. Ive rebuild a fishing boat before from the stringers up so I felt more than capable to do the job.

Due to funds and time we've decided not to dig into the transom this year. If we decide to keep the boat a few more years that may be done in another off season but not this one.

The plan is to remove all the old carpet, deck, waterlogged foam and rotted stringers. Grind everything down smooth and clean, clean the inside of the hull with MEK. Reinstall dougfir stringers glasses with 1708 and US Composites polyester resin. Install BC grade 1/2 inch plywood deck with 1 layer of 1.5oz chop on the bottom and 2 layers on the top. Fill the boat with US Composites 2lb floatation foam. Then gelcoat the floor and insides and make nonskid using cabosil in the gelcoat.

There are many pro rebuilders on this forum ive noticed so feel free to call out any mistakes i may be making. Keep in mind we only plan on keeping the boat for another year or 2 hopefully before upgrading to something a little bigger, roomier, and powerful. Since im just a broke college kid im trying to keep the cost down without going too too cheap.

Excuse my lack of pictures of the foam removal, it was a pain in the butt and I was so worn out by the end of each day I didnt take pictures and didnt even think about doing a build thread at that point.

Carpet and floor cut out, gas tank unhooked and removed, foam torn out then torn out then torn out some more.

Last edited:

jakehorton15

Seaman
Re: 1991 Searay 170 Stringer Floor Rebuild

Stringers cut and ground down and hull cleaned with MEK, looks so clean now. New stringers cut from doug fir 1x8 instead of plywood. Slow kick thinned resin was coated on the stringers to really soak in. Stringers have been glued in with PL Premium using 1/4 inch foam pads underneath to prevent hard spots in the hull.

Last edited:

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Did you core sample the transom? If its weak and flexes the boat will not be safe if you plan on pulling tubers or skiers.

jakehorton15

Seaman

Did you core sample the transom? If its weak and flexes the boat will not be safe if you plan on pulling tubers or skiers.

I have not done any core samples yet but figured i would just to see how bad it is or isnt. If it is bad could I inject some ROT DOCTOR CPES ever foot or so to try and restore the wood a little bit or would that be a waste if its too far gone? Ive got a couple gallons left over from a previous project. Thanks

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

CPES Might work, but you have to get all of the old rotted wet wood out first for it to be effective and that in itself it problematic. If the transom is only wet and NOT rotten and does not flex a lot you MIGHT get by with it for a while. Again it's all about how you plan on using the boat. What size motor does she have?

Last edited:

jakehorton15

Seaman

CPES Might work, but you have to get all of the old rotted wet wood out first for it to be effective and that in itself it problematic. If the transom is only wet and NOT rotten and does not flex a lot you MIGHT get by with it for a while. Again it's all about how you plan on using the boat. What size motor does she have?

I hate to hear that but I kind of figured that would be the case, she might have to be just cruising, sun bathing kinda boat for this season in that case. But its got the 3.0 Mercruiser in it.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

I'd be getting on the outdrive and bouncing and seeing how much flex is in the transom. If it's flexing to much it could cause significant issues. I'm NOT an I/O expert but I do know that it's not something to mess with. You'd need to tend to it quickly.

jakehorton15

Seaman

Got the stringers capped and finished glassing them.

Front walkway supports designed and installed then glasses.

Gas tank cleaned, rubber strips installed, put in place and hooked up and made sure fuel sender was reading correctly on the gauge. Installed under deck supports across tank as well.

Deck fully cut to size and feels solid as a rock already.

First piece of decking installed with PL and stainless screws and coated the underside with one layer of 1.5oz csm.

I ran out of light today so will be installing the rest of the deck tomorrow after finals are over. I ordered the rest of my resin, 2 part 2lb foam and gelcoat.

jakehorton15

Seaman

The deck has now been installed with PL and stainless 2 inch screws and PB the deck to the hull.

Also got the deck tabbed to the hull with a strip of 1708, I just forgot to take any pictures of that yet. Like FriscoBoater said it was probably the easiest glassing job so far, no air bubbles and laid down very nicely.

Last edited:

Coryb

Seaman

Since I'm doing the exact same project to the exact same boat, How do you plan on doing your seat mounts? My original mounts were under the deck. I thought about doing what friscoboater did and put them on top of the deck, but I'm thinking that it will make them too high. Looks pretty good so far. Now I know what I have coming. What did your motor mount wood look like?

jakehorton15

Seaman

Since I'm doing the exact same project to the exact same boat, How do you plan on doing your seat mounts? My original mounts were under the deck. I thought about doing what friscoboater did and put them on top of the deck, but I'm thinking that it will make them too high. Looks pretty good so far. Now I know what I have coming. What did your motor mount wood look like?

I went ahead and went with the raised seat bases just how FriscoBoater did his, i figured with all the work to glass the deck and waterproof it I didnt want to go drilling holes through it. PLus when i was tearing out the rotten deck i noticed the most rotted area was right under the seat bases to obviously alot of water got through the seat base screws. my motor mounts felt solid although im sure their rotted inside.

jakehorton15

Seaman
Ive gotten alot done now that school is out, Ive glassed the deck with one layer of 1708 since i had so much left over and then one layer of 1.5CSM and its solid as a rock.
Seat bases glued to the deck and glassed in with one layer over 1708 and one layer of 1.5 CSM.

The bases turned out great minus that one small bubble on the driver side base that popped up when i went inside to clean up. Im going to get the back bench glassed in and then grind and clean the deck really well and start to gelcoat it.

Last edited: