My 4-dollar toilet pix!

IraRat

Petty Officer 1st Class
Some of you enjoyed the thrill of following another thread of mine regarding my redneck bimini top (arriving today!), and where we started to explore my need for a TINY toilet, because my boat's so small.

Well, she ain't gonna win no beauty contests, but here she is, made out of a 3-gallon Rubbermaid Roughneck tub. A Coke can is shown to relay the size/scale:

12071465875_17c1852f01_o.jpg

12071759013_2467891219_o.jpg

1) The wooden seat is two pieces of thin ply I had lying around, laminated together for strength. Of course, any single piece of thicker lumber would do the trick.

2) I used a layout program to figure out the proper arse size. I don't KNOW what my proper arse size is, so I just made the largest oval I could which would give me enough width of wood around the edges to ensure the structural integrity of the piece when I put my fat arse on it.

I printed out this oval, cut it, and traced it onto the wood.

3) Cut the hole, sanded, and stained.

4) Transferred the oval tracing to the Rubbermaid lid and cut with a jig saw, which didn't work too well. The tracing still leaves too much plastic, so after bolting the wood to lid with washers and wingnuts, I used a NAIL CLIPPER to trim back the plastic, and just used staples to tack those frayed plastic edges on securely. I'd like to find a piece of u-channel rubber/gasket to run around the opening, but I don't want to go TOTALLY nuts with this.

As it is, my wife is ready to have my committed, and wants to kill me for buying that "Bimini" top.

Last edited:

GWPSR

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: My 4-dollar toilet pix!

But (butt?), have you actually put your weight on it yet. It'd be ... well, disappointing to discover that it collapses after you've made a deposit. :tongue:

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

But (butt?), have you actually put your weight on it yet. It'd be ... well, disappointing to discover that it collapses after you've made a deposit. :tongue:

During the deposit would be worse than after the paperwork is done. LOL You will be resting your chin on your knees during the transaction.

alldodge

Staff member

It looks like it will work fine. Kind of wondered since you say space is limited why you didn't go round? A very long time ago when I was a kid, my aunt had about a 28 foot house boat. The boat didn't have a shower just a closet which 2nd as a toilet. It had a factory installed toilet which was basically a metal 3-gallon bucket which had something that resembled a toilet seat on top. Pick the seat off of it and dump it.

IraRat

Petty Officer 1st Class

No problem with the weight at all. I sat on it BEFORE the wood was on it, and it was fine. With the wood, it doesn't sag a bit.

I went rectangle because geometrically, it makes more sense, especially when you consider the dimensions of the cutout—which is what matters most. When needed, it's going to be placed on my boat's bench, bow or stern:

8566144502_bb7f2d469b_b.jpg

Last edited:

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

I'd rather fertilize the landscape than use and clean something like that... but I'm kinda barbaric like that.

IraRat

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'd rather fertilize the landscape than use and clean something like that... but I'm kinda barbaric like that.

There's nowhere to get out of the boat and do that—and I'm the perfect height for alligator bait.

coolbri70

Lieutenant Commander

cool project, I keep a 3 1/2 gallon bucket on the boat for a toilet. it has a twist on lid and could also be used for bailing water or a backup fire extinguisher :D

alldodge

Staff member

There's nowhere to get out of the boat and do that—and I'm the perfect height for alligator bait.

Just thought of something else. A buddy of mine started to remodel his one bathroom house. So instead of working around the toilet he pulled it out and put it in his office (1 of his 3 bedrooms). He then lined the toilet with a plastic bag. After business was done he took the bag outside a tossed in the trash. You could do something similar with yours, makes clean up easy.

IraRat

Petty Officer 1st Class

Dodge, I totally planned to use a bag and then pull/throw it out.

I wasn't going to keep it in there as a souvenir.

:laugh:

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,..... I just go poo before I go boatin',....

Never needed anything more than a urinal out on the barge,....
f11607.jpg

greenbush future

Lieutenant Commander

You can buy seats that fit on 5 gallon buckets if space is at a premium. Same concept but half the space and most likely price. And any man who uses this for #1 loses his man card. Simple planning for 30 years, I've never needed to use a bucket while boating. Every person has different needs.

IraRat

Petty Officer 1st Class

You can buy seats that fit on 5 gallon buckets if space is at a premium. Same concept but half the space and most likely price. And any man who uses this for #1 loses his man card. Simple planning for 30 years, I've never needed to use a bucket while boating. Every person has different needs.

That's TWICE the space (my 3 gallons versus that 5 gallons) and 4 times the price (5 gallon seat is around 15 bucks compared to 4 bucks for this tub).

Stop making fun of my toilet, and I can't wait until you get the runs your next time out.

alldodge

Staff member

Dodge, I totally planned to use a bag and then pull/throw it out.

I wasn't going to keep it in there as a souvenir.

:laugh:

Good one :laugh:

Ayuh,..... I just go poo before I go boatin',....

Never needed anything more than a urinal out on the barge,....
f11607.jpg

Hey Bondo, your engine is the same color as my Dozer, Guess you just like yellow gear ;)

Bondo

Staff member

Good one :laugh:

Hey Bondo, your engine is the same color as my Dozer, Guess you just like yellow gear ;)

Ayuh,.... Waayyy back when that motor was gettin' built,.....

I was paintin' a few tons of some equipment that yer butt would, No doubt, be comfortable in,... ;) :D

Don't remember what all got shot that year, but a Dozer was in fact 1 of 'em,...

colbyt

Master Chief Petty Officer

I am giving you an A++ for effort. I find a 5 gallon bucket and double plastic trash bags (for ease of cleaning) work pretty good.

Bayou Dave

Lieutenant Commander

Hope you have some sort of cover for it to keep the odor inside.

gm280

Supreme Mariner

Not so sure about the not keeping it issue. That would depend on the actual deposit. I mean after all, the book of world records could be broken most any time... Once again, necessity is the mother of invention. We built something very similar in our hunting club years ago. When you have to go, you have to go.