86 Sea Ray Restoration [Splashed Oct 2017]

Speak

Chief Petty Officer

Goldie. Couple things. I noticed that your fuel filler neck is open on the tank. U might want to plug that. All that fiber glass dust may be going in there. Second I beveled the floor going into the bilge on my vessel. It looks good and your 1708 will roll nicely over and onto the stringer. Cheers.

Goldie627

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Goldie. Couple things. I noticed that your fuel filler neck is open on the tank. U might want to plug that. All that fiber glass dust may be going in there. Second I beveled the floor going into the bilge on my vessel. It looks good and your 1708 will roll nicely over and onto the stringer. Cheers.
Thanks speak, I'll get that tank sealed pronto! Over the weekend I bevelled the top of the floor edge where it transitions to the bilge, nothing dramtic but enough to lay that 1808 real smooth ;) I got a vid of it coming soon..

52FordF2

Petty Officer 1st Class
Goldie, if your thinking about redoing your doghouse you could incorporate a movable seat. On mine I'm going to use the area's beside the doghouse for coolers. Have a seat above the cooler or when needed raise the seat up to the top of the doghouse for the suntan bed. You would need two ledges on each side of the doghouse and two ledges on the side pieces to accommodate the two positions. Just my $0.02 worth. Good job so far.

Goldie627

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Goldie, if your thinking about redoing your doghouse you could incorporate a movable seat. On mine I'm going to use the area's beside the doghouse for coolers. Have a seat above the cooler or when needed raise the seat up to the top of the doghouse for the suntan bed. You would need two ledges on each side of the doghouse and two ledges on the side pieces to accommodate the two positions. Just my $0.02 worth. Good job so far.
Thanks for the suggestion! :joyous: My sundeck has gone through probabbly ten revisions so far :D. Knowing me, I wont know the final look unil its almost done :joyous:

I definetly want a bench seat, I also want you to be able to step up and sit on the doghouse from left and or right side (feet on storage tops) (3 section sundeck), especially because there is no full swim platform. If a kid (or uncle tony LOL) falls off the sundeck, i want them to fall into the boat :D. I got it in my mind but its hard to explain very similar to your idea. As soon as im done chop stranin the floor i can start building the lower storage compartments, dog house and start roughing the design. I'll try to hand draw something and post it. I know what i want but gonna try to design it as light as possible to keep the weight down.

I am concerned about the added weight from all the extra resin and materials (thicker wood and thicker FG cloth) used to make the boat stronger and more water resistant than the original build....

TxLime2311

Cadet
Nice job Goldie! Looking real good. Those sure are some nice buckets you got there, even came with a resin spreader or PB scooper. Was that 1.5oz CSM?

Not sure if it's just my device but your video in post 426 won't play.

Last edited:

Goldie627

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Nice job Goldie! Looking real good. Those sure are some nice buckets you got there, even came with a resin spreader or PB scooper. Was that 1.5oz CSM?

Not sure if it's just my device but your video in post 426 won't play.
Thank you kindly TX, its fixed :joyous: Yes Sir, two layers of 1.5 csm.

I seen the matching handle with a peanut butter scooper and could'nt resist it :D Your 99cents store / dollar tree store inventory will vary from store to store, I usually get the small garbage cans similar to the size of those sand buckets. Sometimes you can use the container more than once if you dont toss it in the dirt like me ;)

Mark72233

Ensign
Goldie looking good and making great progress. I don't know if you have put any hoses on your fuel tank yet but if not take some masking tape and tape up all those inlets so all that dust and dirt doesn't get into your clean tank.

Goldie627

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Thanks to Speak and Mark for the heads up on the inlets, they are covered now :happy:

Last edited:

Goldie627

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I am concerned about the added weight from all the extra resin and materials (thicker wood and thicker FG cloth plus more layers of cloth too) used to make the boat stronger and more water resistant than the original build.... any thoughts??

Goldie627

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I've started the dry fit fabrication process for my doghouse/sundeck/benchseat and was looking at the bilge area. I was thinking maybe I should chop strand the bilge and install the motor mount before laying up the doghouse/sundeck/benchseat. The problem is I have no idea what order to do it in. I may need a lil hand holding here because I dont wanna make any mistakes on the motor mount. Im thinking two layers of CSM in the bilge, then do I glass in the bottom side pieces first or do I fabricate the motor mount then glass that 1 piece motor mount in?? Can the motor mount touch the bottom or does it have to be off the bottom like stringers? Here are some picks of the original motor mount. Please ignore the filet on the left side of the motor mount, I was practising way back when :D

20150704_204144.jpg

20150704_204201.jpg

20150704_204226.jpg

20150704_204322.jpg

20150704_204006.jpg

Goldie627

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I think they intentionally did not glass the bottom of the motor mount so the wood could breath, wood cant rot if water isn't trapped.

Goldie627

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Anybody got any idea what thickness is the small slab of wood thats glassed into the bottom of the bilge under the bilge pump? During the deconstruction that piece didnt come out whole and i think i ground it out not noting its thickeness.

Speak

Chief Petty Officer
Anybody got any idea what thickness is the small slab of wood thats glassed into the bottom of the bilge under the bilge pump? During the deconstruction that piece didnt come out whole and i think i ground it out not noting its thickeness.
I used 3/4 inch. That should give u enough material to screw into.

As for the weight of the boat. My thoughts are this. The fiber glass it's self weighs nothing really. It's the resin that's heavy. Ask your self how much each pail weighs in at and how many did you use. I bet now that all the extra rot and water is out the boat, it will only marginally be heavier. I felt the same way with my build but had no problems. Your better to be a bit heavier than flexing and twisting over waves. Hope this helps.

Last edited: