Alternative attachment of center console

CobyAhh

Cadet
Console options.jpg

I am currently doing a complete restore of what was :) going to be a deck replacement. I have a feeling the center console mounting screws have a lot to do with the TOTAL rotting of this boat (87 Cobia Sunskiff).

I dont see much out there on this topic so... Refer to my lovely drawing:

A: Glass a frame to the glassed deck ( wood on edge) that fits inside the console walls. This would require drilling horizontal holes through the console (no biggy) and screwing that way, and allows sealing down the original flange to the deck.

B: Build a riser thats glassed over the glassed deck that the console sits on top of and uses original mounting screw holes. (bad side would be relatively short screw if used 3/4" for the frame, to not go into deck...)

Thoughts please and thanksdeck1.jpg

SnapperMassacre

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Alternative attachment of center console

Option a. ... Gives you more strength around console compared to only 3/4" screws holding in a downward application.

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Totally agree with option A...
Properly secured and sealed mounting flanges will provide a much better mounting...you could seal the edges of the console if you wanted too, but not really necessary...you could install it with SS bolts and T-Nuts in case you need to remove it for service/maintenance...
:)

CobyAhh

Cadet

I was leaning that way too. Will glassing the wood frame be enough, or would i need to screw it down before glassing to the deck?? The whole point was to avoid any holes in deck at all...hmmmm

That console takes a beating with stumbling fishermen and all...

Grub54891

Vice Admiral

Screw it down,ss screws. Then seal it in. If needed to remove at a later date,the floor is coming out anyway.
Grub

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

You don't have to screw it down, use an epoxy adhesive and then glass it in. Very strong and no deck penetrations.

64osby

Admiral

You could embed SS bolts up though the floor and add alum angle to the inside of the CC.

73Chrysler105

Chief Petty Officer

You could embed SS bolts up though the floor and add alum angle to the inside of the CC.

Another idea is to use this idea and your idea of a frame thats is glassed on top of the deck. So build a wood frame in which the console sits, put stainless bolts trough from the underside and epoxy or 5200 them in, glass the frame to the deck and mount the console to the frame using the fiberglass or install aluminum angle for extra support.

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Will glassing the wood frame be enough, or would i need to screw it down before glassing to the deck??

If you don't mind having to do some touch up work to the gel coat covering the deck...and you grind an area to glass the wood flanges...4-6" around each flange...
They will become part of the deck, done properly...no extra screws or perforations required to hold them down...

This is how I would go about it...

I forgot to mention the strip of CSM used to "glue" the flange down would need to be wet out with resin...
The first strip of 1708 should reach approximately 2" on the deck and 2" on the flange...
The second should reach 4" on each...
Make sure there are no air bubbles in the lay ups...
You could install one flange at a time or build the entire U-shaped piece, then attach it...
Then drill through them and the console for the attachment hardware and use a good coating of marine sealant, like 3M's 4200/5200 on all the hardware before insertion...

Done right, you would have to whack it with the biggest sledge hammer you could get and it would probably bust the deck before the joint between the two gave out...

CobyAhh

Cadet

Thanks. The good news is the deck isn't even on yet. Im working on the transom this weekend. Once the deck is in i will glass over it, then glass the flange for console on, then paint all together.

Updates on my other thread: Cap in, Deck out....

Every bit of deck and stringer was mud, literally. Its good i didnt just do a core sample of the transom cuz someone had crappily slid new wood down in just the center. The actual transom on this boat is the whole back end, and both sides were soaked....