Restoring a 1976 Fiberform Speedboat

Fiberformboatowner

Seaman Apprentice
Hey guys, so I bought this boat last year for $300 guy said that it sat uncovered for 2 years, snow and heat got the best of this boat but I have faith it's equipped with a 1977 Johnson 200 hp and the motor runs perfectly. So I noticed a lot of soft spots on the deck started cutting the floor up. Every peice fell apart like wet cardboard, luckily enough found that the transom is still all in tact and one out if the four stringers was rotten, so I cut all the rot off and found that the Wood was good about 1/4 inch away from the hull so my question is can I glue A new Piece of wood right ontop of the old stringer then glass it all in? Ill upload pictures when I get home anything thoughts?

Fiberformboatowner

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Restoring a 1976 Fiberform Speedboat

mikes boat 2.jpgmikes boat 3.jpgmikes boat 4.jpg[mikes boat 5.jpg so as I am a complete noobie with restoration from these pics am I doing this right should I keep the other stringers? all the other ones look solid but like I said, ive been reading every forum I can on this website and its helped me get this far......

redstrat

Petty Officer 1st Class

I cut all the rot off and found that the Wood was good about 1/4 inch away from the hull so my question is can I glue A new Piece of wood right ontop of the old stringer then glass it all in?

I think with a 1/4" to go I would take it to the hull and start over. Make sure you take a good look at that transom before you attach a new floor. I learned this the hard way. Nice project, I'll tag along and watch you progress

Fiberformboatowner

Seaman Apprentice

I checked the bolts that run through the transom I feel soild I hung myself 170lbs on the out board and it didn't budge overall its a solid boat, I guess ill just replace that stringer then

Fiberformboatowner

Seaman Apprentice

Thoughts on using fleece instead of the white cloth for fiberglassing?

Fiberformboatowner

Seaman Apprentice
5 grueling years later and have my boat 99% complete ugh now can anyone tell me what model my boat is I've down countless research only to be disappointed any help would be appreciated

52FordF2

Petty Officer 1st Class
If its a 76 there would be a VIN on the starboard Aft end. If it older than 74 its a metal tag somewhere in the boat. Sometimes on the transom, sometime somewhere else.
What's the title say, the normally has the year in it.