1987 Sea Sprite 225 SSB transom re build.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lwarden

Petty Officer 1st Class
OK at the suggestion of one of the Iboats Mods I'm starting a new thread and Im going to only post to this one. Ill keep all my pics and work progress here also. I'll make a long story short to start. last summer I purchased a 1987 Sea Sprite 225 SSB cuddy cabin. I knew it needed a lil work but didnt realize the lower 12" of the transom was rotted and subsuqently found out I have 1 stringer so far the needs a little attention also. So Im starting by pulling the out drive,gimbal housing and then the engine. Hopefully will have pics by this weekend. Wish me luck fellas.:facepalm:

Lwarden

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1987 Sea Sprite 225 SSB transom re build.

I know Im getting a little ahead of myself but Im wondering if I can make the floor of my boat like this one? its the same boat 1 yr newer an 88. I have carpet right now and after the transom rebuild and what I hope to be a short stringer repair Id like to get it looking something like this. Ill be using it for walleye and salmon fishing on the great lakes and would love a snag free washable floor.88 sea sprite 225.jpg88 sea aprite 225 ssb.jpg1988 sea sprite 225.jpg Let me know what you think and a ball park cost over a wood/glass/carpet floor

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Friscoboater did a gelcoat deck on his Sea Ray restore. Check that out.

Lwarden

Petty Officer 1st Class

I dont think thats a gel coat floor it looks more like pre cast panels to me. Look close, but I could be wrong???

Friscoboater did a gelcoat deck on his Sea Ray restore. Check that out.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

He definitely gelled it.

Lwarden

Petty Officer 1st Class

Know what I meant was I know frisco geled his, I dont think its a gel coat floor in the pics I posted...sorry!
He definitely gelled it.

Lwarden

Petty Officer 1st Class

Pics so far, getting ready to pull the engine! Outdrive is pulled,swim platform removed, grab handle removed,tie down hooks removed, downrigger board off the top of the deck. Engine is ready to pull just need to build the gantry...
5200 for glue.jpgalmost everything.jpgexhaust port.jpggimbal bearing.jpgoutdrive off.jpg

Lwarden

Petty Officer 1st Class

More pics my phone photos 219.jpgmy phone photos 220.jpgmy phone photos 221.jpgmy phone photos 222.jpgmy phone photos 223.jpg
You can see these pics are from the starboard side of the motor seems someone (dont know if it was the PO) cut 2 small holes through the deck, for what I dont know, but the foam is right at the top and spongy. Also in 2 of the pics you can see where I marked the tape at the 4' mark, thats 4' from the transom. The area in front of the engine/ bilge is really flimsy to stand o n and thats where the engine dog house/cover attatches.

Lwarden

Petty Officer 1st Class

my phone photos 224.jpgmy phone photos 225.jpgmy phone photos 226.jpg
Sorry, here are the pics with the tape measure in it! Im HOPING to only have to tear the floor up to this 4' mark.

extreme01

Seaman Apprentice

good luck, like everyone says boats rot from the bottom up so by the time the floor is week most of the stringers and transom are rotted

Lwarden

Petty Officer 1st Class

pic test from photobucket

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Pics are working great...excellent idea to keep everything in one thread...easier to follow along and get the best advice possible...
In this crazy world of boats and their possible problems, we remain highly optimistic while constantly saving money and setting aside spare time for the worst possible scenario...:facepalm:
Hopefully you have less to do than what you think, but be prepared to do whatever it takes...

Lwarden

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thats my motto! improvise,adapt and overcome!

Pics are working great...excellent idea to keep everything in one thread...easier to follow along and get the best advice possible...
In this crazy world of boats and their possible problems, we remain highly optimistic while constantly saving money and setting aside spare time for the worst possible scenario...:facepalm:
Hopefully you have less to do than what you think, but be prepared to do whatever it takes...

Lwarden

Petty Officer 1st Class

Figured while I was waiting for the engine to be pulled Id upload a few more pics. The day I went to look at her before I brought her home.

Lwarden

Petty Officer 1st Class

She had quite a bit of oxidation, but with the Sure buffer and alot of work she shined up nice, and not a stress crack one anywhere on the gelcoat.

Lwarden

Petty Officer 1st Class

Im wondering, where that red line is the transom is doubled up but everywhere else its single thickness. What are the chances if the rot down low isnt outside of that doubled up area would it be possible to just remove the doubled up portion and replace just that section or would that be too weak where it was patched in?

Lwarden

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ok lots of progress today, got the engine pulled and the gimble housing and transom plate off. I got to digging into the transom and my suspicions were realized. Seems the P.O. tried to seal the gabbard drain with some silicone. I also found that the Y pipe only had 3 bolts hoding it on instead of the 4 that are needed. I'm also wondering if these motor mou nts have been replaced before?? does this look factory to you guys? http://s1316.photobucket.com/user/lcwarden61/media/leephonepics020_zpsbc897336.jpg.html

Lwarden

Petty Officer 1st Class

Heres some of the rot I found around the drain

Lwarden

Petty Officer 1st Class

Looks like I'm going to be rebuilding the whole bilge area along with the transom and the stringers, like I assumed from the transom about 4' forward.Do I need to take some measurements of my motor mount locations before I tear them out?

Status
Not open for further replies.