Boat Resto Project - No clue

NetMatrix

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Boat Resto Project - No clue

Well you do have a great project here, and it looks like it will be a lot of work to get everything torn apart. The foam is always the hardest to remove that I have found with a project I was working on before having to hand it off to someone else due to money situation. The foam formula on the site is pretty simple to follow. Keep the posts coming, and keep putting up those pictures. Got lots people here to help you out every step of the way and answer any questions you have. Good luck on your project.

Now what different ideas do you have for this boat? Is there a certain angle your wanting to take right now, or just worrying about getting it torn down then start working in the many ideas restoring a boat has to offer?

heiliges

Seaman Apprentice

Plans, well, there are always ideas floating around in ones head. My past experience has been with much much larger boats and being in Florida, sunshade of any kind is needed or crispy critter you are. Flybridges are a love of mine and if I could get one on this boat with cover for the primary deck, I will have acheived a perfect boat for me and the family.

So, once I get the flooring out completely, I will have a better idea on if it can be lowered at all. My family is not tall so I only need 6 feet of clearance between the floor and the hardtop. The hard part about making a hardtop is knowing how to make it solid enough to bear weight since a walkaround option is simply too technical for me to build right now. The glass on the boat right now is in pretty bad shape. Its currently setup as a walkthrough to the covered bow. Not sure I am going to keep it that way so its either a walk through or a climb over. Opting for climb over.

The major sticking point for me on the hardtop is the metal frame idea. I hate bimini tops with a passion, don't ask me why because I have no idea why, just don't like em. So if I build a hardtop, I want to be able to tie it into the cap from the flooring to make sure its sturdy without the use of a metal frame.

The material for the stringers and flooring along with the transom are a sticking point for me right now as well. I like the idea of seascast, I just dont like the cost. Trying to move into this thing without dropping more than a grand not including the new motor. Soo seascast simply is not an option. We all are experiencing or have experienced the issue with wood. So I have some queries out regarding polymers. There is some rather heavy duty stuff out there< I just have question as to how well they adhere to fiberglass work. If I can't narrow this down by the time I have everything ripped out I will go with old fashioed wood, otherwise , its a polymer option if I can find one. I live in a somewhat large city, so one would think I could find something as an alternative.

All in all keep the same lines, add a hardtop, find alternatives to wood. That about covers it in short.

osborn159

Petty Officer 1st Class

hi there, like the lines of your boat, i know what your talkin about having cover here in Fl is a must if any time on the water is the goal.
its your boat but id leave the walkthrough the way it is, unless you want to blow the budget, and as far as budget im thinkin your composite desire may be out as well, some of that stuff is pricey, not seacast pricey, but not on the budget you and myself are working with,
if i was starting all over knowing what i know to this point, id use exterior grade plywood for as much as possible-stringers,transom,deck its easy to work with accepts resin,cloth, mat well and is budget freindly and no special tools required, you know the drill coat it w/ resin csm and glass it in.
btw where in fla are you?? im in chuluota, between orlando and titusville.
good luck, D

heiliges

Seaman Apprentice

Glad you said between orlando and titusville or I would have had no clue where you were. I live is Jacksonville but we are down your way often, annual passes to disney and have family down in in melbourne.

I know what you mean about the budget. I don't mind going over a grand, seascast was tempting, just cant see spending that kind of money on that stuff, not when there is cheaper stuff out there in the polymer realm.

Though like you said, good ole wood can still work great if you just take care of it and do the glassing right. Seems whoever did it before I got the boat did just about as poor a job as possible, thank got the fiberglass is still solid.

osborn159

Petty Officer 1st Class

i bought mine knowing it needed a deck, cut it out to scope the damage, oh the horror, it was repaired once b4 by some clown, they decided to screw wood to what was left of the stringer, then it looked like they ran the trailer tounge as low as poss and poured a gallon of resin on each side of their "repair", i didnt bargin for that, but i like the hull, its stable and dry in a chop, doesnt beat me to death either, my resto budget is set for about 1.5k im past half of that at this point, i think ill make it might b close tho.
i used to live in jville, great place if you like the water, im a fishin junkie so i was in heaven, lived on the westside mostly, close to the old cecil feild nas.

heiliges

Seaman Apprentice

Problem is I love the water and have not had a boat till now. Same thing here though, got the boat knowing flooring and transom need to be replaced. Guessed the stringers did too. So far, no big surprises. I am sure I am in store for some though.

heiliges

Seaman Apprentice

So, another day on the boat, and boy what a day. It was a gorgeous day in Florida and since I couldnt be on the water or in the woods, I might as well be outside working on the boat. It was more pulling wood and foam. Heads up for those of you have fun with the foam. I bought a multifunction tool from harbour frieght and its great on the foam using the scraper attachment. Lets you get between the foam and the hull with little effort.

4487814909_2360aa9f6e.jpg

4487815789_f89e1f232e.jpg

I also removed windows and all the stuff on top including the railing. Its now pretty bare looking. Love the lines even more now. Thinking the railing may not go back on.

4487816871_660210975d.jpg

4487819081_a3621248a9.jpg

Now for the bad news of the day. I thought I was doing great on my depth when cutting the wood but towards the bow I cut a 2 inch slice in the hull from the inside where the hull began cutting to the deep v. The wood was actually tapered, whish I knew that earlier. Now I know. A little too late for the sake of the hull, but oh well, its a project boat and it cost next to nothing compared to a new one. Sooo, not that I am at a point of worrying about repairing it, but anyone have a clue on how to fix it. No room for any glass material, probably just some sort of resin mixture but what do I know.

heiliges

Seaman Apprentice

FOAM IS GONE.... finally!!!!

Took me a couple hours a day for the better part of two or three weeks and the use of shovel, trowel, grinder, and multi-purpose oscillating tool to get it done, but its done. Tommorrow the trash guy will take the last of the dreaded stuff away ina big truck. If I could only get someone to take the old deck wood away I would be full of stokage.

Next task are the stringers. I imagine this will be easy considering the horrible glasswork done on the last layer inside the boat. Just cut the tabbed glass and wallah, they should come right out in one peice for template purposes.

I also have to grind down pretty much the whole thing because there is almost a 1/2 inch of what I assume is resin of some sort in a few areas of the boat that will not come up with any amount of prying with manual tools. Gonna take some real work on that crap. But I think I have just the tool.

Here is a lovely shot of the foamless boat...

4503368821_9f2569eebc.jpg

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Welcome to iBoats!
Nice looking project! I am a newcomer as well but the guys on here are awesome and you will find that NOTHING is impossible if you just ask the right questions and post the right pictures. ;)
Send a pic of the "Slice" in the hull. We can tell you what to do when we see what the damage is. If you can get to it from the inside it is a relatively easy fix. Depending on whether you plan on gel coat or paint for the hull your cost will be minimal for the repair.

heiliges

Seaman Apprentice

ok.... so the cuts in the hull. They look bigger in the picture than they really are. The largest is about an inch long and the other is smaller still.

Here they are from the outside:

4505017159_70fcf1ec39.jpg

From the inside:

4505640516_282c67cd80.jpg

4505639636_3316a65d9a.jpg

They are very accessible from the inside and the outside. The wood there is soaked in resin making it hard as a rock, it will get ground out when I start grinding the hull. Had no idea I had hit the hull till it was too late. Its at the front of the boat where it forms the v and goes from a more vertical plane to a 45 degree angle as seen below. I feel like an idiot but thats pretty much why the damage happened.

4505006451_e202af202f.jpg

osborn159

Petty Officer 1st Class

not such a big deal its fiberglass and it can be fixed.

dish out the effected area, wet out with resin, place a peice of csm smaller than the area in dished out area, wet out, larger peice of csm in area, wet out repeat till a little below surface area place a peice of cloth over csm wet out, during final layup these areas may need a little scuffy sandy, same on outside with the exception of marine filler or marine-tex after csm and cloth, sand flush, prime, paint, drink beer and watch paint dry, repeat.

im sure i missed a step, i always do when i try to explain the process, but its pretty straight fwd. try a search on the forum for "holes during demo" and see you aint the 1st, im in that club as well, just didnt post on it.

keep at it, looks good till now,
D