1961 American-Marc Borada w/1960 Evinrude 40 Lark II

loociddreemr

Cadet
Hello everyone,

I'm new to the forum. I've been browsing around for a bit and picked up a few parts. I was handed down an antique boat that needs some TLC. It is a 1961 American-Marc Borada w/1960 Evinrude 40 Lark II as the thread title mentions. This is a rare little boat with tons of character. I am begining the process of restoring the boat with my father.

If anyone has some information regarding this boat, I'd be glad if you could share. I'll post some pics soon.

Grandpa Mike

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 1961 American-Marc Borada w/1960 Evinrude 40 Lark II

Hello everyone,

I'm new to the forum. I've been browsing around for a bit and picked up a few parts. I was handed down an antique boat that needs some TLC. It is a 1961 American-Marc Borada w/1960 Evinrude 40 Lark II as the thread title mentions. This is a rare little boat with tons of character. I am begining the process of restoring the boat with my father.

If anyone has some information regarding this boat, I'd be glad if you could share. I'll post some pics soon.

Hello loociddreemr, Dad here. If anything else, this ought to be a heck of a lot of fun. I found that under
Engine Repair and Maintenance..........Forum: Johnson & Evinrude Outboards........there is a sticky thread "Top Secret File UPDATED 8/1/2012". TONS of repair info and tips, wiring and other diagrams. Looks like a goldmine of information. I'll promise not to drop any carburetor linkage in the lake this time.:drum:

jbcurt00

Staff member

Welcome to iboats, dreamer & his dad ;)

Yep, pix would be great...... Get a free photobucket acct. There will be an image code under each pix after you up load it: IMG code

Copy the text in the IMG code box. It will look like this:
IMG]http://i1246.photobucket.com/albums/download_zps9151c21b.jpg[/IMG

Paste that IMG code in your post, and the pix show up large & IN your post, instead of as attachments that need to be opened:
download_zps9151c21b.jpg

loociddreemr

Cadet

Heres more of the dash, bow covered in Eucalyptus droppings, and the profile.

2013-03-05_16-23-13_851.jpg

2013-03-05_16-23-41_859.jpg

2013-03-05_16-23-59_855.jpg

loociddreemr

Cadet

So, there it sits. This boat has been sitting for over ten years. The interior is gutted and the paint is obviously faded. But who cares how comfortable a boat is or how it looks if it doesn't run or float?

Game plan phase 1: Give the engine a good once over and tune up.

I placed an order for some tune up parts. I will absolutley be replacing the impeller as well as the ignition points. I included the lower end gaskets and seals with that order. We will be checking the compression and replacing some fuel lines, plugs, etc... If we get any trouble from the carb, were going to drown it in a bucket of dip, and replace the needle, seat, and float.

I received a dontation of a sealed deep cycle battery that is charging now. Should be good for at least the tune up process. I'll run it through a load test to verify. I was also given a plastic barrel thats going to get mistreated by a sawsall and become our test tank.

jbcurt00

Staff member

If nothing else, the battery will save you the core on a new battery........

You might find a service manual here:

EBSCOhost - world's foremost premium research database serviceUsername: marshall
Password: public

after logon:

Select small engine repair

Select Marine/Boat motor

Scroll down & select manufacturer

Specific for your year & motor would be better, but in a pinch the combined is better then nothing

Evil-bay may have parts & service manuals, if not now just keep looking. I have both for most of my engines, you can find parts diagrams for most engines here.

Looks like pops is already mining for info @this resto on another thread. Nice to have him on board. What's his position on donor boat storage & MBS? :watermelon:

Tons of good info, read thru Don's helpful links, it has a good engine mount stand that's printable on 11X17... The links in WOG's signature line are incredibly helpful too.

loociddreemr

Cadet

Thanks for the link, but I can't get EBSCOhost to login.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Cool looking boat and an even cooler looking motor! Good luck with your project.

jbcurt00

Staff member

Thanks for the link, but I can't get EBSCOhost to login.
may have been your browser settings or down for maintenance but it worked for me just now

loociddreemr

Cadet

Cool looking boat and an even cooler looking motor! Good luck with your project.

Thanks. It was definitely the style of the motor that caught me. My wife doesn't like it very much as it sits, so I have a lot of work to do of I want a bigger budget. :)