14ft. Mirrocraft tinny transom

bskye85

Seaman
My new toy is a 1987 14ft. mirrocraft riveted aluminium..Minor dings and dents, but seems solid and every rivet seems tight and sound. Stored indoors since new. Came with a galvie 87 shorelander and a 1989 mercury 25hp tiller(about 50+/-hrs total) with a new spare prop.

Found on local craigslist, went to see, and realized the house I pulled up to was my wifes uncle's place. He wanted $2500 for the package. I told him no more than 2k. Turns out my wife can haggle haha. She told her uncle no more than 1200. Long story short..a few beers later and listening to him ***** and moan for about 2 hours, We towed it home for $800 cash (on the condition I take his trash to the dump:D).. Hows that for a craigslist story!

Now I'm looking at a Possibly simple transom repair (I hope). The outer piece and inner transom. I think ill pickup a sheet of marine grade and poly it, and then maybe a few coats of oil based paint. Should do the trick and will be way better than the dry-rot i have now. Looks like I have to pop the transom cap (3 screws) And 4 thru-hull bolts holding the outer and inner pieces tight. Any input on the thickness of the inner/outer. The original pieces are fully intact, but dry-rotted. So should i replicate the thickness? Seems so simple but Ill find out soon.

Pics tomorrow.. any input appreciated

Bondo

Staff member
Re: 14ft. Mirrocraft tinny transom

So should i replicate the thickness?

Ayuh,... It's worked for 20 years like it is,... Why change it,..??

boatflipper

Chief Petty Officer

Sounds like you got a pretty good deal!! The motor should be worth $800!!
Anyway, I would replicate the original thickness. Like Bondo said it has worked this long so why not make it last another 20+ years (I put the plus sign because we literally re-build them better than new:D)

bskye85

Seaman

Thanks for the input guys. No pics tonight, sorry. I just built a motor stand to bring the merc inside. Tomorrow hopefully i can remove the old transom and grab some pics.

bskye85

Seaman

Finnaly warm enough to think about pulling this old transom. I'm not happy with the stand i built to hold this 100lb OB. Still tweaking the stand, but got my supplies for the transom. heres a look at the 20+ year old transom, in its dry-rotted glory. Inner:

boat002.jpg

boat001.jpg

Outer:
boat004.jpg

Now, I had the intentions of buying all marine grade ply and gluing together for desired thickness. While taking measurements, i found that the "Inner" transom is a 1 1/2 in. thick, solid piece of oak, and the outer is a strange ply. Strange because it measures in between a 1/2in. and 3/4in. ply. No Chance to get that dimension of ply around here. So I grabbed a 3ft.X3ft. cut of 4 ply marine grade..(Oak i believe).. I hope this isn't too think, but as i said the old ply measures in between 1/2 and 3/4in. so to be safe I went with the 3/4.
boat006.jpg

And the inner Was a challenge too. I wanted to keep the transom as Stock as Possible, because as said before, its lasted 20 years why change the design. So I looked and looked, but found NO dimensional Oak lumber...Went to my Father-in-laws shop (wood worker/carver/Arts) He had several 2x10's but they were all oldy's. So he took me to his supplier, and problem solved. $25 later i had my White Oak 2x10 freshly cut and just beggin for some poly!:D
boat005.jpg

Father-in-law suggested a poly called Helmsman (not cheap) So we'll see how well it seals up the fresh lumber. No poly till I get the boat to my Fathers house to use his jig/table saw to cut my templates. More to come.

bskye85

Seaman

Also,

What (if anything) do i need to seal the wood to the transom skin?? such as a glue/epoxy/silicone.. etc. I mean once the templates have been cut, poly'd, and painted, and I'm ready to install them, will i need a sealant in between the wood and aluminum? Or are the 4 bolts enough to form this seal?(And what to seal the bolts with? silicone?) Thanks for any input.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... I'd just Paint it, probably with Rustoleum...
It lasted 20 years before...

As for the bolt holes,... I'd probably use 4200, or 5200....

bskye85

Seaman

Now that it has become warmer here in Maine, its time to get on it!!!!Today I pulled out the inner and the outer transom. A few screws, a little blood, and some giggling from my children, and it was all apart. I thankfully pulled out the inner transom fully intact. Now to make my templates from the marine ply, and oak 2x10.

I noticed 4 1/4in. holes in the aluminum, in the center of the outer transom and were just plugged with silicon and placed the wood over them. I dont want to drill 4 pointless holes in my new transom to accommodate 4 "Plug" bolts, So what are my options here? Can I do as was done before, only better using 5200...And the thin, aluminum transom cap was broken just under the 25hp. With a stainless screw on either end of the break. Can/should i have this welded? Or leave as is with the screws? It is super pliable, thin aluminum. So I cant see that it has any real "Support" value. Am I Wrong here?

Anyway...a few pics..First the old wood:
100_2939.jpg

then the bare aluminum transom skin outer and inner's.
100_2936.jpg

100_2933.jpg

100_2934.jpg

Open fishing season April 1st!! I Will meet the Ice off Deadline to toss this tinny in the wet stuff!!:D

bskye85

Seaman

Alright folk's

Sorry for the long span. Ive been busy with my Fly fishing guide business. The tinny Is now a mainstay in my business. She floats nice, without leaks, and is VERY stable...Soo much so that I often "Pole" from the bow while clients are happily casting off the rear bench. The motor runs like a champ, and is almost too fast at full throttle...I will get back with a post of the finished pics, and, If my client for this morning agrees, a pic of me pole'in from the bow.

P.S...This boat must be lucky, because the first trip out, a regular client's 7 year old son caught a 20in. brookie and a respectable 18 incher. Then his father pulled in a 33 inch Touge..(Lake Trout) while trolling....When I dropped em off at the ramp, I went back out for some "Me time", and hauled in my dinner...A 20 inch FAT rainbow.and 2 12inch+/- brookies.... I am now a true Tinny lover:D

Attachments

• 100_2944.jpg
    100_2944.jpg
    148.5 KB · Views: 1
  • 100_2946.jpg
    100_2946.jpg
    143.1 KB · Views: 1