GluvIt and Non-Skid paint?? W/ photos!!!

tonynoriega2

Petty Officer 2nd Class
HI all... am coming to a point I am not sure what to do.

I am getting ready to put in some rivets and I wire brushed the ribs (stringers?) on the inside, and fully on the outside of the hull.

I was thinking that after all of these cure, I would do a water test, and if that goes well to apply my GluvIt.

But I have some, what I believe factory non-skid paint in the bottom.

The main seam down the centerline is entirely painted in the non-skid, as well as the ribs.

I wanted to put the GluvIt all the way down the centerline seam, and hit the ribs as well to add some protection to the ribs, and the rivets.

Should I wire brush down all of the non-skid paint down the centerline, and along the ribs to ensure maximum adhesiveness?

I just dont feel like the GluvIt would stick and get into the cracks and crevices as well if I leave the paint in tact.

I plan on re-painting the entire inside with a rustoleum bare metal primer anyway, and probably several coats of paint as well... so I am not concerned with how it will look....just fYI

DSCN2468.jpgDSCN2469.jpgDSCN2471.jpg

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner
Re: GluvIt and Non-Skid paint?? W/ photos!!!

Hmm, I'm not so sure I can see what you are talking about as far as non-skid. No matter though - Gluvit likes clean bare alum for best results.

Cheers!

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

I plan on re-painting the entire inside with a rustoleum bare metal primer

Using that paint will be a mistake, the Rusto Bare Metal Primer is for steel.

You need to use the Rusto Aluminum Primer, it's a etching primer made for aluminum and galvanized sheet metal.

tonynoriega2

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It is hard to tell in the photo, but the paint is non-skid...

I guess I got a little more work ahead of me before GluvIt...seems like it never ends..hahaha..

Thx Jig.. Ill skip that bare alum primer...and find what I need.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Most walmart's carry this... Couple of cans should do the trick you only need a very light coat of the stuff.
images

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Most walmart's carry this... Couple of cans should do the trick you only need a very light coat of the stuff.
images

... and it's usually in the automotive dept instead of the paint dept.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Or I've even found it in the Marine section in Sporting goods!