2010ad

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral
It will soon be 2010 AD and for some reason I got to thinking about the meaning of AD, or Anno Domini. I was taught that it meant "after death" and now I find that I was taught wrong. The term Anno Domini is medieval Latin translated as "In the year of (the/our) Lord. Because B.C. is the English abbreviation for Before Christ, some people incorrectly conclude that A.D. must mean After Death, i.e., after the death of Jesus. If that were true, the thirty-three or so years of his life would not be in any era. Anyone else taught wrong?

QC

Supreme Mariner
Re: 2010ad

I have actually assumed wrong a few times, but am reminded whenever I recheck. I don't recall ever being taught "After Death" . . .

tkrfxr

Petty Officer 1st Class

It will soon be 2010 AD and for some reason I got to thinking about the meaning of AD, or Anno Domini. I was taught that it meant "after death" and now I find that I was taught wrong. The term Anno Domini is medieval Latin translated as "In the year of (the/our) Lord. Because B.C. is the English abbreviation for Before Christ, some people incorrectly conclude that A.D. must mean After Death, i.e., after the death of Jesus. If that were true, the thirty-three or so years of his life would not be in any era. Anyone else taught wrong?

Interesting notion, but I think that the count of years begins with the birth of Jesus, and there is no year zero...

Here's Wiki's explanations...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_Era

SuperNova

Lieutenant

It does. I am just trying to determine if my memory is that screwed up, which is entirely possible, or was I taught wrong. It appears either is possible.
I remember thinking that A.D. meant after-death as a child, but I was taught the correct meaning fairly early. I attended a Friend's Meeting in Wilmington with my father where the children were given Bible classes if they wanted. I think that is where I learned the correct meaning.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I had no chance to be taught wrong. I spent my first 2 years in a Catholic school.

The currently correct terms are BCE and ACE. . .Before the Common Era and, of course, After the Common Era. ACE is commonly expressed simply as CE.

This is not a religion thread, please don't make it one.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

well jb mow im really messed up.....(by the way merry christmas)

i was aalways taught that

B.C...... before christ
B.C.E .....Before Christ's Execution. (the 33 years between his birth and death)
A.D........after death....

now i gotta go off studying......lol

gonefishie

Commander

I was thinking about 2010 too but not in term of AD. What will we call it? 010? 2010? or just 10? 010 doesn't sound right, 2010 is too long, none of them sound right.

TilliamWe

Banned

I had no chance to be taught wrong. I spent my first 2 years in a Catholic school.

The currently correct terms are BCE and ACE. . .Before the Common Era and, of course, After the Common Era. ACE is commonly expressed simply as CE.

QC Edit: Crossed the religion line . . .

I was never "taught" it wrong, but had heard other people say After Death. i knew it was Latin, but didn't know exactly what it meant.

Oh, and since there was no year Zero, that means that 2010 is still in the same decade as 2001. Oh, and the Millenium didn't change on Jan 1, 2000, it changed on Jan 1, 2001. That really bothers me that people can't get those right!

TilliamWe

Banned

EDIT: Comment on religion