Orlando Clipper Customization/Restoration

coolguy147

Commander
5G65Q25F13J83N93H8c853e2b8af669201675.jpg5O35Ed5H53La3M83o7c85e862be2f334d1423.jpg5I35Y45U63k63Ge3Ibc8540d24817f66f118b.jpg5Nf5G95J23E63Le3H9c85eff096707ecc18e6.jpg5If5Fd5H73G93Ia3Jac853faee347a68e1df3.jpg

These pictures of a boat very similar to mine except mine is bigger. This person said he built the transom out of all aluminum. What i want to do my boat is basically convert it from short shaft to long shaft. I finally have a motor that i can use. 1985 60 hp 2 cylinder johnson.

I believe aluminium would be too expensive lol......idk you guys tell me!

I will be adding rotary teleflex steering but that will be later!

What do you guys think?

coolguy147

Commander
Re: Orlando Clipper Customization/Restoration

Here are some pictures of my transom.

Attachments

• IMG_4889 (640x480) (640x480).jpg
    IMG_4889 (640x480) (640x480).jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_4890 (640x480).jpg
    IMG_4890 (640x480).jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_4891 (640x480).jpg
    IMG_4891 (640x480).jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_4892 (640x480).jpg
    IMG_4892 (640x480).jpg
    44 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_4893 (640x480).jpg
    IMG_4893 (640x480).jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 4

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Hi coolguy147,

I don't know a heck of a lot about tinnies, but my best guess, if you want to raise the transom for a long shaft, is to remove all the old, build it back up with a couple of new layers of plywood, properly sealed up with epoxy at the new height, then get some aluminum sheet or angle pieces to cover up the new taller transom and rivet/screw/bolt it to the existing metal and either Gluvit or 5200 the seams and rivets...just make sure the angle brackets and supporting structure get beefed up to hold the new power...

But, like I said, I don't know much about these metal boats, so I'll let the real gurus have their input...:rolleyes:

Have fun and best of luck...

GT1M

coolguy147

Commander

564713_472186509460917_244895607_n (604x453).jpg

There's a picture of the mercury running. This was about 2 years ago i believe but the motor still runs WOT perfectly fine. It will pull my friend up on a slalom ski (need to sling boat lol :D in order to get on plane). The motor sucks at idling...needs new rotor and cap at least.

coolguy147

Commander

Hi coolguy147,

I don't know a heck of a lot about tinnies, but my best guess, if you want to raise the transom for a long shaft, is to remove all the old, build it back up with a couple of new layers of plywood, properly sealed up with epoxy at the new height, then get some aluminum sheet or angle pieces to cover up the new taller transom and rivet/screw/bolt it to the existing metal and either Gluvit or 5200 the seams and rivets...just make sure the angle brackets and supporting structure get beefed up to hold the new power...

But, like I said, I don't know much about these metal boats, so I'll let the real gurus have their input...:rolleyes:

Have fun and best of luck...

GT1M

Thanks dude! The transom that is currently on there and is still rock solid.

I don't quite understand how to seal in the new wood?

how should i "beef" up the new transom?

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

If you are talking about adding a piece to the top of the transom that is already there...like an extension...

I don't think that would be such a good idea, but I could be wrong...

I would prefer to have one solid piece from the bottom to the top...

However, I am sure that there may be a way, but I don't know how to do it and make sure it is structurally sound...

As far as sealing up the wood, several coats of marine grade epoxy will do the trick...just use the search feature in the forum and look up epoxy, or coating wood with epoxy, or something like that...you could also look in US Composites or the Iboats Store and look up epoxy for marine use...

coolguy147

Commander

If you are talking about adding a piece to the top of the transom that is already there...like an extension...

I don't think that would be such a good idea, but I could be wrong...

I would prefer to have one solid piece from the bottom to the top...

However, I am sure that there may be a way, but I don't know how to do it and make sure it is structurally sound...

As far as sealing up the wood, several coats of marine grade epoxy will do the trick...just use the search feature in the forum and look up epoxy, or coating wood with epoxy, or something like that...you could also look in US Composites or the Iboats Store and look up epoxy for marine use...

I plan on totaling redoing the transom mean i will use one solid piece from top to bottom or bottom to top lol. No "add-on's"

I heard composites have no structural strength?

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

I plan on totaling redoing the transom mean i will use one solid piece from top to bottom or bottom to top lol. No "add-on's"

I heard composites have no structural strength?

OK, cool...I also re-read your other post and missed the part about how to beef up the transom...

What I meant, and remember, I'm no expert...is to make sure when rebuilding the transom that the Knee braces or any other support structure attached to the transom is good and solid and if necessary, maybe add some or rebuild some of them to better support the new taller trans and engine set-up...

As far as composites, I just finished reading this post... http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=526658...#590...

coolguy147

Commander

OK, cool...I also re-read your other post and missed the part about how to beef up the transom...

What I meant, and remember, I'm no expert...is to make sure when rebuilding the transom that the Knee braces or any other support structure attached to the transom is good and solid and if necessary, maybe add some or rebuild some of them to better support the new taller trans and engine set-up...

As far as composites, I just finished reading this post... http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=526658...#590...

lol i remember reading that sorry..........

i know i should some support and knee braces would be good.

lol so after reading that thread it made me discouraged for how good his looked and how mine would never be....how his transom was bulging lol....and how he wants a tinny now :D

I kinda just want to make the transom out of all aluminum and stainless steel now lol.....

coolguy147

Commander

ok, went to a airboat fabrication shop to ask them if they could make me a 20inch long shaft transom capable of having a 90 HP (strength purposes). Waiting on a call back. I gave them some pictures so we'll see. I won't end up doing it because it will be too expensive but i could always come back to them for some aluminum reinforcement or something.

just throwing ideas out there.

coolguy147

Commander

Well, forget the idea of an aluminum transom because the guy never calls me back. He needs to actually the boat to even give me an idea of what he can do which i understand but idk....

borrowing a trailer tomorrow so i can bring it up with the atv from the backyard.

Ill get some pictures tomorrow. Maybe if someone would reply lol....I'm sorry if i don't have a starcraft and nobody has interest in an off brand boat lol.

m casey stock

Chief Petty Officer

I think the Clippers are great boats. Can't wait to see the pictures. I love all the old tinnies, but Starcraft is far from my favorite (although they are fine boats)

coolguy147

Commander

OK, got the boat on a tiny jet ski trailer lol......boat is hanging like 3-4 feet off the back end. Took the whole transom apart. It was really easy with this boat. It looks like it uses two 3/4 pieces of plywood. Should I use three pieces of 3/4 since i'm using a 60 HP? I would have to cut around the knee braces and might not be able to put the splash well in unless i cut the last pieces into two sections.

It looks like i only have to add about 3-4 inches of wood to the top to make it a long shaft

Because i'm adding wood to the transom i'm not quite sure on what i want to do with the boat's outer skin. Weld some new skin in?

i'm going to try to get some pictures tomorrow.

When i put the new pieces of wood in there. Do i glue them together? Can i just use stain or a water sealer instead of fiberglass?

coolguy147

Commander

Any ideas of cleaning and possibly getting some more life out of the windshield? It's still in really good shape but it needs some care.

Willyclay

Captain

It looks like it uses two 3/4 pieces of plywood. Should I use three pieces of 3/4 since i'm using a 60 HP?

I would stick with the TWO pieces of 3/4 ply and bond them together with a good glue like PL Premium or epoxy. If you have room under the spashwell, you could install a horizontal aluminum angle (2X2X3/16in.) across the full transom width at the lower motor mount bolt level as a little insurance for that "new" 60HP motor. My 1965 LoneStar had this feature and was rated for 110HP.

Last edited:

Willyclay

Captain

Because i'm adding wood to the transom i'm not quite sure on what i want to do with the boat's outer skin. Weld some new skin in?

In the first pictures, it looks like the guy with the 90 Yammy just overlapped a new piece of aluminum were he raised the transom and bolted it on. I think that is a great approach since you will need to protect the raw edge of the plywood and the extra piece of aluminum could be bent to form a "cap" for the full width of the transom. Read up on marine-grade aluminum before you buy it so you get the correct stuff. Also, instead of paying a commercial metal shop big money to do this simple work maybe you could get a local high school with a metal shop class to do it as a student project. Good luck!

Willyclay

Captain

Can i just use stain or a water sealer instead of fiberglass?

Fiberglass is not a requirement and a good quality exterior 100 percent acrylic latex paint will do just fine on the surface of the plywood for many years. However, the raw edges of the plywood is where you are going to absorb water. Therefore, some fiberglass tape on all edges wouldn't be a bad idea if you are going for longevity on this transom. You stated it came out easy so maybe you just cheap it out and do it again in a few years. Seal any and all transom penetrations with 3M 4200 for maximum protection!

Last edited:

coolguy147

Commander

http://www.loctiteproducts.com/p/pl...remium-Polyurethane-Construction-Adhesive.htm Glue the stuff together with this? The old pieces were glued together it looks like. They were still in really good shape! Perfect if you would ask me. How should i seal the angle braces that go to the bottom of the boat 5200? It's kinda weird but the 5200 i used on my new bolts didn't seem to hold the bolt in that well?

What do you mean about installing a horizontal aluminum angle? I do have an aluminum bar that i'm using for the top of the transom to reinforce it that i took off another boat.

Where can i get 100% exterior grade acrylic latex paint? lol.

What's fiberglass tape?