1959 Lake N' Sea Restoration

andgott

Master Chief Petty Officer
It's time to get started on my next restoration project! I've got a few other things going now, but in the downtime, I need something to keep me busy.

I have the luxury of having 2 workshops- So both projects will be completely separate from each other- One on the main floor, one in the basement.

I picked up the Lake N Sea a while back- I think it was almost 2 years ago. She's been patiently waiting for attention in a corner of my basement. Here's how she looked when I got it-

LkSea3.jpg

LkSea2.jpg

LkSea1.jpg

And THIS is the original brochure- Showing how she did (and soon WILL) look-

BrochPage1.jpg

Pretty rough, But mostly intact. I've always loved Lake N Seas- They are just wild looking boats... I went to school in Traverse City, MI, too- Where they were built. I saw one of them up there once, and fell in love with it. Imagine my surprise when I found one for sale by the side of the road only a few miles from where I live!

I have collected all the 'parts' over the past year or so- The only really big thing that I was missing was the cool cast metal nameplate from the center of the dash... Thanks to a fellow FiberGlassics member with a sharp eye, I was able to find one! Now, I've got everything I need.

I have also acquired a 1959 Tee Nee trailer (with teardrop fenders, of course!), and a PAIR of 1959 Evinrude Lark outbords to power it. It should be a pretty neat package when done. As for color- I think I am going to go all out. One of the original colors from the factory was PINK. This boat has some serious late 50's styling to it- And what says 50's more than pink??

Ok, So now it's time to dig in....

andgott

Re: 1959 Lake N' Sea Restoration

First- I need to get it off the trailer it's on. The trailer is in really bad shape, and is basically unusable... I want the boat to be much better supported. So, I built a stand for it. Another issue that I have is that I need to be able to move the boat easily, both inside AND outside my shop. So, I installed some wheels on the stand that will allow me to do just that. Getting it off the trailer was easy-

Sorry about the bad pics, I had my cell phone, and didn't want to take the time to get my real camera :)

ontostand1.jpg

ontostand2.jpg

I winched her off with my chainfall... Slid right off. I wasn't too worried about the bottom- No damage was done- But I'm going to have to redo it all anyway. I'd probably want carpet if I had a nice, freshly painted bottom!

Offtrlr.jpg

I was able to get it the last little bit by just shoving it off the trailer. You can see the trailer in this photo- And why I am taking the boat off should be pretty obvious. You've got to love those caster wheels on there!

Now, Its time to pop the deck off... Should be FUN.

andgott

The deck and hull joint is covered with an aluminum rub rail, and the joint itself is stapled about every 3 inches, as well as bonded with poly resin. Luckily, the resin is REALLY brittle, and isn't holding well. In addition, the staples are pretty much rusted away.

By CAREFULLY driving a flat screw driver into the joint, I was able to separate the hull and deck without too much problem... It actually went a lot smoother than I though it would! I didn't take photos, though- I was too busy, and didn't think to.

But- it's it two pieces now-

capoff.jpg

And, The fun can begin....

hull.jpg

deck.jpg

transom.jpg

That cool looking transom... I can tell it's going to create some real issues with the restoration. Oh well- I love a challenge!!

Next step is to do some exploratory drilling to find out exactly how much I need to do. The floor is solid fiberglass- And feels VERY solid- But I know that there are wood stringers under it. I am going to check them for rot- I would LOVE it if I didn't have to cut all the floor out, but I'm not going to hold my breath.

The transom is shot, for sure. There is some major damage to the outer skin, so I know water has gotten in there. I'm fairly certain it'll be a total replacement.

Let's just hope THIS one doesn't take 2 years ;)

-Andrew

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Man, when you get started, YOU REALLY GET STARTED!!!!!! How long did it take you to get her to this stage???? I'm gunna LOVE watchin this one.

andgott

Yeah- This should be a fun one :)

I've only got a few hours in- counting building the cradle. I've been working on other projects, too! The g-3 transom takes priority...

-Andrew

Cowboyup94

Petty Officer 2nd Class

wow atleast i caught the beginning of this one!!! Will keep looking for updates! Goodluck working on the transom, better you then me! How did you find all the trim pieces? Tell me your secret :D

BobsGlasstream

Commander

Hey,
What's wrong with taking 2 years? or 3 or........:p
What the heck is that big foam donut from???????
Looks like a good project.
Have fun
Bob

kfa4303

Banned

Super cool looking project. Can't wait to see how she turns out. Good luck!

zopperman

Lieutenant Commander

That's just an awesome boat. It's like edgy with a mix of classic glass. I I have such a soft spot for those old runabouts. I am confident you will do a great job. Hope the stringers are good!!!

sschefer

Rear Admiral

Oh currapp, I finally found the next boat I want to restore. I said I was never going to resto another boat but apparently I'm hooked again. This would be so cool with a Merc 250 Pro XS on it.. allright maybe that's a bit extreme but I do know who's got the FrankenMerc and I might be able to get it back... Stop... Stop.... Stop....... Don't make me do this... Where's my Prozak..

Seriously, this is a way too cool boat. I really am going to start looking around Ca. for one.

andgott

Goodluck working on the transom, better you then me!
How did you find all the trim pieces? Tell me your secret :D

Aww, I LOVE doing transoms! I'm doing another one at the same time - http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=518300

You have to do SOMETHING while the resin cures :)

As for finding parts, its a matter of patience, connections, and of course, CASH. I got really lucky on this one- I'll have to post a photo of the part that I was missing- It was TRUELY an irreplaceable, and VERY important piece... And I though I'd never find it. Or, If I DID find it, I thought I'd never be able to afford it. But, Not only did I find one, but it ended up being CHEAP. I'll post the full story some rainy day....

BobsGlasstream said:
Hey,
What's wrong with taking 2 years? or 3 or........

NOTHING, except I've got my next project lined up already!!

The last one isn't 100% complete yet, either... Some trim, electrical, and details to sort out. But- It's in the water, and usable.. And the little stuff can wait 'till its cold out ;)

That foam was up in the bow for floatation. There were also two big chunks of it in the stern. Floatation was a rarity in these older boats, too- But this one appears to have been exceptionally well made.

sschefer said:
Seriously, this is a way too cool boat. I really am going to start looking around Ca. for one.[/img]

Yeah, You can see why I fell in love with it. Even the wife thinks it looks pretty cool:)

They come up for sale from time to time, occasionally on E-bay. The challenge is finding one that's intact. The first year(s) of production they were built in Florida by Chris Craft, and were dismal failures. It was the company's first attempt at fiberglass construction, and they didn't know what they were doing. During this time, they acquired the rather unfortunate moniker 'Leak N Sink', because they did just that!

In '58, they sold to Parsons corp, in Traverse City, MI. They built them up there for 2-3 years, but lost money on each one. They were then made by another company in Michigan for 1-2 more years- and then they ceased to exist.

There were not a lot made, and there are not a lot of survivors. One of the reasons is the 'extreme' styling- It is actually what makes them appealing today, but by the late '60s they were terribly outdated, and no one wanted them! Much like the cars of this era- MANY saw an untimely end since they just looked 'old'. I suspect the reason I've never actually seen a pink on 'in the flesh' is because that would have been a VERY dated color- And who would want a pink boat??

-Andrew

andgott

Goodluck working on the transom, better you then me!
How did you find all the trim pieces? Tell me your secret :D

Aww, I LOVE doing transoms! I'm doing another one at the same time - http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=518300

You have to do SOMETHING while the resin cures :)

As for finding parts, its a matter of patience, connections, and of course, CASH. I got really lucky on this one- I'll have to post a photo of the part that I was missing- It was TRUELY an irreplaceable, and VERY important piece... And I though I'd never find it. Or, If I DID find it, I thought I'd never be able to afford it. But, Not only did I find one, but it ended up being CHEAP. I'll post the full story some rainy day....

BobsGlasstream said:
Hey,
What's wrong with taking 2 years? or 3 or........

NOTHING, except I've got my next project lined up already!!

The last one isn't 100% complete yet, either... Some trim, electrical, and details to sort out. But- It's in the water, and usable.. And the little stuff can wait 'till its cold out ;)

That foam was up in the bow for floatation. There were also two big chunks of it in the stern. Floatation was a rarity in these older boats, too- But this one appears to have been exceptionally well made.

sschefer said:
Seriously, this is a way too cool boat. I really am going to start looking around Ca. for one.

Yeah, You can see why I fell in love with it. Even the wife thinks it looks pretty cool:)

They come up for sale from time to time, occasionally on E-bay. The challenge is finding one that's intact. The first year(s) of production they were built in Florida by Chris Craft, and were dismal failures. It was the company's first attempt at fiberglass construction, and they didn't know what they were doing. During this time, they acquired the rather unfortunate moniker 'Leak N Sink', because they did just that!

In '58, they sold to Parsons corp, in Traverse City, MI. They built them up there for 2-3 years, but lost money on each one. They were then made by another company in Michigan for 1-2 more years- and then they ceased to exist.

There were not a lot made, and there are not a lot of survivors. One of the reasons is the 'extreme' styling- It is actually what makes them appealing today, but by the late '60s they were terribly outdated, and no one wanted them! Much like the cars of this era- MANY saw an untimely end since they just looked 'old'. I suspect the reason I've never actually seen a pink on 'in the flesh' is because that would have been a VERY dated color- And who would want a pink boat??

-Andrew

andgott

No work on the actual boat today, since I was working on the other project, but I DID get the stand ready for the deck-

DeckStand.jpg

It allows me to roll it out of the way so I can work on the hull- Or just wheel it outside so I can sand it without getting dust all over the workshop... Notice those nice, big "off road' tires on there ;)

The hull is on a similar stand, which also has wheels, allowing me to move it as I need to.

I flipped the deck on to it-

DeckOn.jpg

No small feat when you're working alone!!

-Andrew

BobsGlasstream

Commander

Nice stands, I really like the wheels. Mobility is always a good thing.
I can see a lot of potential with different color schemes on that cap.
Really cool project
Bob

andgott

Thanks.... I have the hull on a different stand, Also on wheels-

OnCradle.jpg

It's nice to be able to move them as needed...

bbodin

Petty Officer 2nd Class

That boat is just awesome! Too bad that they don't make boats like that anymore. Now-a-days all boats pretty much look alike. No artistic style involved.

sschefer

Rear Admiral

That boat is just awesome! Too bad that they don't make boats like that anymore. Now-a-days all boats pretty much look alike. No artistic style involved.

Actually, in this case we should be glad they don't make boats like this anymore. Where would the coolness go if we all had one. From what I understand, these are extremley rare. The last manufacturer finally gave up (went broke) trying to keep them afloat and destroyed the whole lot of them and the forms. Sad but true because with todays technology andgott won't have any problem making this a safe and fun head turner.

Can't you just imagine yourself behind this on the highway trying to figure out where the tires pop out at. Is it a boat or is it a car.. nah it's just cool.

Cowboyup94

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have to ask how do you move in that shop? :confused: Looks like its time to build a pole barn... haha

andgott

I have to ask how do you move in that shop? :confused: Looks like its time to build a pole barn... haha

It's a LITTLE tight, but not too bad... I move whichever part I'm not working on out of the area while I'm working on- Which is why I have the wheels! I'd love a pole barn, but I'm in a deed restricted neighborhood :(