87' Charger Mercruiser 200 restoration

dwolfenbarger

Seaman Apprentice
Hello all,
Well I decided to buy my first boat, and was hoping to have it in the water this summer.... I found that after putting the back end in the water and test running it that it has a cracked block and after further tear down resulted in finding cracked heads as well. This boat went from being usable to a project very quickly. Luckily I had a 305 motor to replace the 1996 350 rebuilt cracked Jasper motor. The original boat was only 200 Hp so I hope I won't be to agitated bout the power loss of using a 305 SBC. During the removal of the old engine I found that the motor mount bed was rotted out. I am the type of person where if I'm going to do something I'm going to do it right. So now I've torn out all the interior trim, seats, and carpet. I am skilled in wood working and am not afraid of a challenge but I don't have much experience with boat specific projects especially fiberglass. I plan to replace the whole floor and one or both motor beds. From what I can tell this far the stringers seem to be in good shape but I'm sure that could change as the project continues. I'm looking for any tips and tricks in proceeding from this point forward as this is a new field I've gotten into.:facepalm:
87_boa10.jpg

87_int10.jpg

Last edited:

dwolfenbarger

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 87' Charger Mercruiser 200 restoration

Thanks for link. Can you use PVC boards to replace the stringer to make it rot free? I'm planning on having this boat for a while and don't want to have to worry bout replacing the floor in 15 to 20 years.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Nope, cuz glass doesn't stick to them.

dwolfenbarger

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks, I was hoping there was a wood alternative to use, but it seems the best way is to do a good glassing job and take care of the boat :)

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Absolutely. As you've already seen, it doesn't take much to rebuild these WAY better than they were from the factory.

dwolfenbarger

Seaman Apprentice

I'm planning on using the same materials rickyryder used from what I see he used 1.5oz csm then 2 layers of 1708 biax to glass the stringers. He used the Nida bond mixture for the beds and US composites epoxy system (about $100 cheaper than the West System). The Nida bond mixture for the stringer beds was from ordering too much Nida. I guess my question from a quality and cost stand point what is the best way to go to make the beds?
On another note I have a rotted out motor bed directly under the motor mount. Would Nida bond be a better fix in the area or is solid wood better or another type of fix?
87_rot10.jpg

87_str10.jpg

Last edited:

Friscoboater

Captain

The epoxy is going to kill you on price. You always use more than you think, and you will have to paint your deck instead of gelcoat. Gelcoat will not stick to epoxy.

Use PL glue for the beds, 1708, 1.5 OZ mat , and a good quality poly. You will be fine.

dwolfenbarger

Seaman Apprentice

Cool thanks for the tip, didn't realize epoxy was that more expensive. After I get my shopping list together I will post it ... Hopefully you guys can tell me if what I'm getting is right and the amount is OK or if I need to plan on getting more. I can't wait to get started on fixing her but I have a dock to finish rebuilding first. :)

dwolfenbarger

Seaman Apprentice

OK I've done some rough estimates of the poly and glass. Just want to see if I'm in the right ball park.

46 yrds of 50" 1.5 oz CSM for $133.40 takes about 11 gal of poly
92 yrds of 50" 1708 Biax for $717.60 takes about 24 gal of poly
7 5 gal buckets of poly for + 1 extra gallon for $877.00
sums up to be a little over $1700

Does this sound about right for a replacement floor and stringers of about 15ft? If so :eek: costs a lot more than I thought (not as bad as my first calculation when I based the amount on the boat length versus rotted stringer length .. oh well) ... hehe and this doesn't include the filler, foam or pl glue and other odds and ends.

dwolfenbarger

Seaman Apprentice

I got my old floor ripped out and now its time to start grinding. Yippe :) Have one question I'm hoping you guys could give me your thoughts on. I have been looking into costs between using poly with 1 coat CSM and 2 coats 1708 versus using epoxy with only 2 coats 1708. Is 2 layers of 1708 enough strength to tab the stringers? When doing the math using a third layer of CSM along with the extra poly needed to lay it, it only costs about $200 less using poly because of the cost of the CSM and the extra 12 gallons of polly needed to do the layup.:confused:

rickryder

Commander

Sounds like your math is off..... I used about 12 gallons of resin on my rebuild....1 gallon of resin will wet out about 4 sq yds of csm or biax....My boat is 21'

I used the csm to tab the stringers in first..... It was strips of csm about 8" wide 4" on the hull 4'' up the stringer.
Biax from the top of the stringer to 6" on hull and next layer of biax was 8" on hull to top of stringer

dwolfenbarger

Seaman Apprentice

Ah ok, when I checked US Composites website it said 1 quart per yard of a 50" roll... so I just divided the number of yards from the roll by 4, but that is only 2 square feet not 4. I will just order half the resin I was planning on so it will be about 15 gallons. Works for me it will save a lot of money.:cool: By the way Ricky I read your restore project and your boat looks awesome especially considering the weather your were dealing with and being confined to a tent.

rickryder

Commander

Thanks! I could not have done it without the help of the great people on iboats! :D

Rick

dwolfenbarger

Seaman Apprentice

Rick, between reading your restore thread and friscoboaters I bout feel like and expert (although far from it lol). I have noticed most rebuilds are using plywood to replace the stringers and bulkheads. All of my stringer, bulkheads, and motor mounts were solid wood. This floor has already been replaced once so it is possible the previous restore was done wrong:confused:(maybe or maybe not?). So should I replace them with solid wood or use ply. My understanding was that ply is stronger...

rickryder

Commander

plywood is stronger but you sometimes need more than 8' for your stringers.... You can take 1/2" ply and lam them together to form longer pieces... I did use one piece of 1x12 pine for a stringer.... either will do....it's the glass that will make it strong.

dwolfenbarger

Seaman Apprentice

I think I will use the solid wood then because the 2 main stringers are 12' long and the previous ones were made from 2 x 6's. The ski locker and gas tank compartments were solid wood as well (maybe 3\4" thick). If it worked before it should work again and there are no fractures or stress cracks in the hull. I really like the idea of using the foam boards because from what I have read they will not absorb water and I'm going to put good drainage routes in all the compartments that I can cap off. How did you like using the foam boards instead of the pour in type? Any noticeable difference?

rickryder

Commander

Seems fine crashing waves in the ocean ;) It was easy to work with too!

dwolfenbarger

Seaman Apprentice

Good enough for me :D We are at Smith Mountain Lake which isn't near as rough as the ocean

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

If you are gunna use solid wood I would REALLY try and find Douglas Fir! It has good rot resistance and is used all the time in boat building. Quality Lumber yards should carry it. Try and find the Straightest grain and mos Knot free boards you can find. Especially no knots on the edges.