Styrene as a thinner?

littlehero

Cadet
Last year I was thumbing through posts and came across a thread that included someone using liquid Styrene as a thinning agent to spread on ACX as prep for a new beck. The logic being that it helps the wood soak in the polyester without kicking. Since then I have been looking for more information on doing this and using Styrene in general. The most I have found is this http://www.fiberglasssupply.com/Product_Catalog/Polyester_Resins/polyester_resins.html. Anyone have suggestions or an idea if this would work or literally blow up in my face? At the end of the day what I want to do is prep the ply before laying it out. My old factory-installed deck had minimal protection on the underside and massive rot when I removed it.

Thanks

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: Styrene as a thinner?

Welcome to iBoats!

Most of the Pros here on iBoats do NOT recommend thinning your resin before applying to your plywood. No REAL benefit is obtained. Not saying you Can't but just sayin most don't. Make sure your ply is DRY then coat it. For the bottom of your deck you only need to apply 1.5 oz CSM and another coat of resin. For the top, I like to use, another 1.5 oz layer of mat. Make sure to WRAP the edges and make SURE they get plenty of resin. Then finish off with a layer of 1708 Biaxal Cloth. Gives a nice finish and it's easy to apply. Do this and ALWAYS seal any/all holes that are drilled or screwed into the deck with sealant and your deck will last 20+ years

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral
Re: Styrene as a thinner?

Welcome to iBoats!

Most of the Pros here on iBoats do NOT recommend thinning your resin before applying to your plywood. No REAL benefit is obtained. Not saying you Can't but just sayin most don't. Make sure your ply is DRY then coat it. For the bottom of your deck you only need to apply 1.5 oz CSM and another coat of resin. For the top, I like to use, another 1.5 oz layer of mat. Make sure to WRAP the edges and make SURE they get plenty of resin. Then finish off with a layer of 1708 Biaxal Cloth. Gives a nice finish and it's easy to apply. Do this and ALWAYS seal any/all holes that are drilled or screwed into the deck with sealant and your deck will last 20+ years

This is sound advice. :)

YD.