• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

We're excited to announce the launch of our NEW Fiberglass & Epoxy Boat Repair & Building section on iboats.com! See more details!

This new area was created specifically to meet the needs of those of you who participate in the iboats Boat Restoration, Building, and Hull Repair forum. To kick off the launch, we are giving away free product in every order over $100 as follows:

Spend $100-149: Get a free paint suit (Large only)
Spend $150-199: Get a free sandpaper finish pack & paint suit (Large only)
Spend $200-249: Get a free catalyst dispenser
Spend $250-299: Get a free Sufasolve hand wipes
Spend $300-349: Get a free Aqua Blue buffing compound (quart)
Spend $350-399: Get a free small tint kit
Spend $400+: Get a free Preval sprayer

To qualify for the free products, select any Fiberlay, Spectrum Fiberglass, System Three, or Gibco product.

Also, we have discounted our already low prices by another 5-15%. Stay tuned as we will be giving away 3 $100 iboats gift certificates from May to June to be used on the new fiberglass and epoxy products.

To view the new Fiberglass & Epoxy Boat Repair & Building, go to http://www.iboats.com/Boat-Paint-Repair-Maintenance-Gel-Coat-Cleaners-Carpet-Epoxy/dm/view_id.11
See more
See less

Elmers Fiberglass Resin

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Elmers Fiberglass Resin

I seen a can of Elmers Fiberglass Resin in a store today. It is the same logo as you see on Elmers glue. Has anyone here ever tried this or can you guys give some information on it?
    Thanks!

Re: Elmers Fiberglass Resin

Generic polyester resin with an Elmer's label slapped on the can. It is unwaxed, so you will need to do one of three things for it to cure properly:

1. Vacuum bag.

2. Seal the part in plastic.

3. Add surfacing wax to the mix during the final layer of laminate (easiest).

You will not find surfacing wax at a box store. You will need to either source it through a composites shop or online.
    1987 Blue Fin S170 Fish & Ski
    Fiberglass questions? Click here!
    The Holy Grail of glue knowledge

Comment

There is no need to do anything to seal the surface, most of the time wax is pretty much a waste of time and money with resin.

Comment

Non-waxed polyester resin will not typically fully cure in the presence of air at normal temperatures. The finished surface will be tacky and difficult to sand/fair.

The need for wax depends on the application of the product.

Comment

The surface will stay tacky for short period of time, but this will go away soon.

If you plan to sand and fair it, it isn't all that common to use a fine paper, you normally start with something coarse enough that clogging the paper isn't much of an issue.

Waxed resin is rarely used for anything and covering it with something to have the surface cure tack free is done even less often.

Comment

Originally posted by ondarvr View Post
            The surface will stay tacky for short period of time, but this will go away soon.

If you plan to sand and fair it, it isn't all that common to use a fine paper, you normally start with something coarse enough that clogging the paper isn't much of an issue.

Waxed resin is rarely used for anything and covering it with something to have the surface cure tack free is done even less often.
            Polyester laminating resin (unwaxed) and polyester finishing resing (waxed) are two different things with different purposes and reasons for use. I'm not trying to argue, just educate.

Comment

Originally posted by Shife View Post
              Polyester laminating resin (unwaxed) and polyester finishing resing (waxed) are two different things with different purposes and reasons for use. I'm not trying to argue, just educate.

ondarvr's knows what he is saying and says what is practical and works. i tend to take heed to what the man writes as it is spot on truth and educated enough.

RC

Comment

This is surprising. I was expecting to hear that this product would not work. So this would be OK to use for small repairs? I have read on this forum that other resins such as bondo or other department store type resins would absorb water. Thanks for the input!

Comment

All resins will sort of absorb water, even epoxy.

There are only a few companies that make resin, small companies and ones that only sell small amounts of resin buy it from the these manufacturers and slap their label on it. So what comes in the Elmers can is most likely used to make boats in some plant also.

The problem is that some of these resins may have a very fast gel time, or may be the "no drip" (just very thick) type, both of these can be hard to use in some applications.

Comment

Originally posted by 86RajunCajun View Post
                    ondarvr's knows what he is saying and says what is practical and works. i tend to take heed to what the man writes as it is spot on truth and educated enough.

RC
                    I'm sure that ondarvr is very knowledgeable. However, I'm not a fan of broad generic advice.

Comment

Any of the generic labled resins I've seen at box stors have been waxed.
                      I saw the Elmers but haven't tried it.

I had one gal of waxed that I was mixing with unwaxed resin just to get rid of it, darn if there wasn't enough wax in that one gal to convert a case of unwaxed. I got it from home depot. Its kinda thick too.
                      sigpic
                      See FAQ Files.
                      http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=299680

Get the genuine factory service manual.
                      www.outboardbooks.com
                      www.*****************

Comment

In my experience, the box store resins are harder to work with and less predictable then a good quality resin from a specialty supplier. I bought the poly resin for my boat a real fiberglass shop and the difference is night and day with both flow and working time.
                        My Resto Thread: http://forums.iboats.com/showthread....34#post2311534

Experience- what you got when you didn't get what you wanted.

Comment

Many of the resins I have seen in stores are not marked "finishing or laminated" or "waxed and unwaxed". How do you know what you are getting. I have also noticed this same problem with markings on websites.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Gibson View Post
                            Many of the resins I have seen in stores are not marked "finishing or laminated" or "waxed and unwaxed". How do you know what you are getting. I have also noticed this same problem with markings on websites.
                            Without tracking down a data sheet for the product you will have a hard time getting a straight answer.

US Composites sells only unwaxed resin. They also sell fresh MEKP and surfacing wax at very reasonable prices.

Comment

Everyone has their own opinion on waxed vs. unwaxed. I use unwaxed laminating resin, and add surfacing agent as necessary if I know that I want to get right into sanding it. Just out of curiosity, what type of small repair are you using it for? That might make a bit of difference, because as ondarvr mentioned, these resins are sometimes designed to perform in different ways. You can adjust shrink, flex, thixotropy etc.
                              Here is an article titled, "Elmers fiberglass resin sucks." Could be worth a read, but I don't have any experience with it one way or another.

Comment

Working...
                              X