Why is a ship called she?

puddle jumper

Captain
A ship is called a"she" because there is always a great deal of bustle around her; there is usually a gang of men about, she has a waist and stays; it takes a lot of paint to keep her good looking;its not the initial expence that breaks you, it is the upkeep;she can be all decked out;it takes an experienced man to handle her correctly; and without a man at the helm,she is absolutely uncontrollable.She shows her topside, hides her bottom and,when comming into port,always heads for the buoys.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Why is a ship called she?

:) :) :)

POINTER94

Vice Admiral

Well they are both expensive, unpredictable, and can cause death when not treated properly or given enough attention. :)

LadyFish

Admiral

Yellow ships are dumb!:rolleyes:

52vwd9f.gif

Link

Rear Admiral

A ship is called a"she" because there is always a great deal of bustle around her; there is usually a gang of men about, she has a waist and stays; it takes a lot of paint to keep her good looking;its not the initial expence that breaks you, it is the upkeep;she can be all decked out;it takes an experienced man to handle her correctly; and without a man at the helm,she is absolutely uncontrollable.She shows her topside, hides her bottom and,when comming into port,always heads for the buoys.

See I always learn something when reading here.

All the time I ?thought? is was
Because their big awkward and hard to handle. :)

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

I always thought it had something to do with the saying about the Hole in the water in which you throw money? aaaah never mind......

OldMercsRule

Captain

I always thought it had something to do with the saying about the Hole in the water in which you throw money? aaaah never mind......

Carefull SS!! Kinda funny, (I did not say that), but real risky JR

cwlandefeld

Seaman Apprentice

They'll also never get lost. He's don't ask for directions!