81 Glastron SX-190 Transom and Engine- PICS Galore Update 11-8

Friscoboater

Captain
So it is time that i start my great project for the winter. I just got back from vacation in New York and just replaced the ailing water heater this morning. So I started my project this afternoon.

Let me give you a little history. I bought this boat in June of this year for a song and a dance knowing it needed a little work. I patched her up and she has given the family a wonderful fun filled summer... but now it is time to fix her up right.

So here is the list of things that I am shooting for to get done.

1. Remove the engine and repower with a slightly breathed on 350.
2. Replace the rotten transom
3. Remove the carpet and replace with some type of non skid paint.

Now there are a couple of things that I found when tearing out the carpet

1. The owner had the deck replaced last year, but I have come to find out (see pictures ) that they just patched it.
2. They did not remove all the old adhesive or carpet residue properly and the new Fiberglass did not stick properly and was peeling up (once again see the pictures.

I know tons about engines and wood working and I have been reading alot on this forum and I am ready for this project and cannot wait to really get started.

So here we go!!!!!!

Please guys give me advise as I go.

Last day on the Lake
DSC09415.jpg

DSC09417.jpg

DSC09420.jpg

My Little Helpers

DSC09423.jpg

DSC09424.jpg

DSC09425.jpg

Last edited:

Friscoboater

Captain
Re: My Big project for the winter. 81 Glastron SX-190 - Lots of pictures!

Re: My Big project for the winter. 81 Glastron SX-190 - Lots of pictures!

DSC09426.jpg

DSC09427.jpg

DSC09428.jpg

This is where the deck was curling up.

DSC09434.jpg

This just peeled up with little force

DSC09437.jpg

Friscoboater

Captain
Re: My Big project for the winter. 81 Glastron SX-190 - Lots of pictures! Follow alon

Re: My Big project for the winter. 81 Glastron SX-190 - Lots of pictures! Follow alon

You can actually still see alot of the old adhesive still under the layer.

DSC09438.jpg

DSC09440.jpg

Is this amount of epoxy par for the course?

DSC09441.jpg

So my big question now is how I can fix this. I got back to where is is actually sticking and will pull off a layer of wood. Should I just grind it smooth and put down more mat?

I am really exited to get this rolling guys and I look forward to hearing from you

thrillhouse700

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Sweet looking boat, Just replace all the wood you will have peace of mind. Also nice drive stand, now I know what to do with all of our left over 2x4's

jcsercsa

Captain

Cool another Glastron !! she looks like a sweet ride !! and just think when your done she will last as longer then the original !!!

Keep them picks comming !! John

83vert

Petty Officer 1st Class

It looks like you have been around long enough to know that if you pull up the floor, check the stringers and transom. Hopefully all checks out good and you will be laying new ply before you know it. It looks like you may be able to use the old deck for a template as well. Nice boat and good luck with the resto.

Friscoboater

Captain

I took some core samples and I do not think I am going to do the deck. Everything was dry, and the right color. This boat was garage kept until I bought it. I think the only reason the bottom on the transom is shot is because the transom plate gasket wore out. I really hate to take anything apart as the boat runs like a dream.

evildocrsx

Petty Officer 1st Class

I think you should replace the whole deck. Then you will have many more years you and your family can enjoy the boat before any other deck or transom repairs. And like posted above, peace of mind.

system-f

Senior Chief Petty Officer

This Glastron is new compared to mine :) Did you say something about the transom leaking? Glastron was really bad about not fiberglassing the inside of the transom and the older models like mine just have paint. I have found that the bottom part of my Glastron where the drive comes through the transom has started to get wet. Others like mine that have actually torn into the transom have found rot on the bottom half of the transom hole. Although your boat is newer by 10 years and it sounds like it was taken much better care of than mine, you still might want to check for rot on the transom.

Friscoboater

Captain

It is rotten around the transom hole. But you get about four inches up and it is fine. There is actually a sheet of fiberglass over my transom so i guess I am lucky.

It has rained non stop here is Dallas since the first Day and I cannot get outside to work on her. I will try and get the engine out this weekend and get some pics of the rot.

Friscoboater

Captain

Lets just say I decided to do the deck. How do you know how far to cut over without going through the hull?

evildocrsx

Petty Officer 1st Class

Lets just say I decided to do the deck. How do you know how far to cut over without going through the hull?

If the blade came out the other side, you went too far! :D

parrisw

Ensign

Nice looking boat, really nice lines!! Good luck with the project!

Friscoboater

Captain

If the blade came out the other side, you went too far! :D

LOL!!!!!! No thanks. The hull is perfect!

Friscoboater

Captain
Re: My Big project for the winter. 81 Glastron SX-190 - UPDATED 10-17

Re: My Big project for the winter. 81 Glastron SX-190 - UPDATED 10-17

Ok, so it finally stopped raining here and my son (Zachary) and I decided to pull the engine today. here are some things that we found as we where taking things apart.

1. This motor is in VERY good shape for almost being thirty.
2. Removing the motor in this boat is WAY harder than my Camaro!
3. Thank the lord for air tools!!!!!!
4. The engine mounts are solid as a rock with good dry wood.
5. The transom was not as bad as I thought. I am wondering if I can do a half replacement.

So I think I am going to throw the block and heads up on craigs list and see what I get for them.

Tomorrow my old Dad says he is going to come over and help me with the transom plate.

How hard is that to remove?

Remember you can click the link in my sig for ALL of the pictures. Some of them are for reference and will not make sense to anyone but me.

CIMG0334.jpg

CIMG0338.jpg

CIMG0340.jpg

CIMG0349.jpg

CIMG0351.jpg

CIMG0350.jpg

Last edited:

Friscoboater

Captain

CIMG0352.jpg

CIMG0355.jpg

The coupler really pissed me off. It just did not make sense how to get it off. How in the H#$@ do you torque the correctly?

CIMG0359.jpg

It has been a while sense I pulled an engine. Do all cranks have the bolts pressed in? If not will I need to get this done?

CIMG0360.jpg

This is why you winterize. there was at least a gallon in the block.

CIMG0361.jpg

Stripping the block down.

CIMG0362.jpg

Friscoboater

Captain

Zachary was just eating this up!!!

CIMG0363.jpg

This is what you call the look of terror. He had been using the impact all day, but now we had the HB puller on and he did not really know what to expect. Once he saw how it worked he was ok.

CIMG0364.jpg

I did not know that they came with double roller chains?

CIMG0366.jpg

All stripped and ready for sale.

CIMG0367.jpg

Covered up and ready for tomorrow. I hope to get the Transom plate pulled out tomorrow and see just how bad the transom is.

CIMG0368.jpg

captmello

Captain
Re: My Big project for the winter. 81 Glastron SX-190 -UPDATED 10-17

Very nice. You know you'll need to go to the 350 now, right?

Friscoboater

Captain

You bet. I am just having a little sticker shock from some of the prices for parts.