Lund S14 DLX In-progress

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
So here it is finally in-progress. This is a 1984 Lund S14 DLX that I aquired last summer from graigs list for $375.00 including the trailer. This boat had been sitting for about 8 yrs unused and parked outside. This is what it looked like when I got it home.

84LundLXL002-2.jpg

84LundLXL001.jpg

After a thorough cleaning we ran it for a short time with a 18hp Evinrude tiller while I looked for a 35hp. There was a soft spot in the floor behind the console bench that we knew would need replacing and the plywood on the bench tops and stern deck would also need replacing. Towards the end of last summer I located a nice 1978 35hp Evinrude and replace the 18hp and redid the plywood seats and stern deck. Much better! Also redid the trailer.

Last weekend we finally tore out the carpet and deck. The deck in this model Lund seems to have been put in before the center split bench is assembled and riveted in. Ended up having to cut the ply into 3 pcs. in order to remove it from under the center benches. Also the decking was fastened down with rivets.

Lunddeck003.jpg

Lunddeck002.jpg

Lunddeck001.jpg

The deck ply was 1/2" with alot of footballs and voids in the underside layer. I replaced this with 1/2" ply which I stained both sides first with some leftover stain, then applied 3 coats of marine varnish. The deck ply again had to be cut into 3 pcs in order to slide it under the center split benches. Sorry to say but yes it is being covered again in marine carpet. Best way to hide the 3 seams in the plywood!

Hope to have the carpet down this afternoon and will post pic's when I've finished that.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
Re: Lund S14 DLX In-progress

Yeup! Followed that one very closely. Same basic hull as mine with the difference being the laid in factory deck. Those split bench seats made it much more difficult than it should have been as the pans are a functional part of the side support. What suprised me most was that all the foam was in excellant condition for it's age.

Will add that Mantis did a top notch job on his. Don't think this one will be that extensive of a rehab.

Would like to know what brand and color of paint he used though.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

Well this is how it looks today! Will say that the wife and I had a heck of a time getting the carpet to slide under those 2 center seat pans. But all-in-all we both think it turned out pretty good for a couple amateurs.

Lunddeck004.jpg

Lunddeck005.jpg

Lunddeck006.jpg

The next project will be a bow casting deck with removable mount but unfortunately this will have to wait as we are leaving on vacation Saturday for a week of fishing.

cloning11

Cadet

Looks great, I kinda wish I would have gone with the red carpet myself. Good luck with the casting deck.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

Thanks! Amazingly the wife has really gotten into this as well and has helped with much of the work. She even picked out the lettering for the numbers and put them on herself.

The front deck is going to be a little trickier. Where the 1st bow seat is the bracketing for it is at an upward angle, so to still use it as support I think I will make it into 2 pcs with added support from the bow seat to the second seat. At least that is the plan for now.

Lunddeck007.jpg

Boomerangtool

Recruit
I couldn't reply to your message but thank you for sending it. I am restoring my new 1982 Lund which is a 16 footer. I over paid, but I am loving the project. When I wrote to you, I was debating the restoration of the floor and foam removal. Naturally, I ended up tearing it all out. I even had the boat blasted. No paint anymore. I am going to have a great overpriced Lund :)

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
I was wondering what happened when I didn't hear back from you. Did the pictures of mine help any with your deck replacement? They are nice boats. my lil brother now has this one.