1975 Checkmate V-Mate II Restore

chrishayes

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1975 Checkmate V-Mate II Restore

HAve you got your transom figured out yet? If not, I will run you through what I did or you can just check my thread for the documentary. We are running the same motor so what I have done to mine would work for you as well. ANd I promise you it WILL be strong enough when done!

bigredinohio

Chief Petty Officer

I've haven't been on very much lately but I've made some progress withthe boat. I've done some grinding which hasn't been too bad since the boat is fairly small and I'm grinding in sections at a time. I also have removed and replaced some core. Here are some pictures.

IMG_2725.jpg

IMG_2727.jpg

IMG_2733.jpg

IMG_2734.jpg

Last edited:

chrishayes

I've haven't been on very much lately but I've made some progress withthe boat. I've done some grinding which hasn't been too bad since the boat is fairly small and I'm grinding in sections at a time. I also have removed and replaced some core. Here are some pictures.

IMG_2725.jpg

IMG_2727.jpg

IMG_2733.jpg

IMG_2734.jpg

Ahhhhhhhhh the dust pan and hand broom stage! We all know it so well. Better things are to come, keep telling yourself that as you sweat in your little blue suit!

dontask

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I had the same model Checkmate & same exact motor in the 70s. When I gutted mine I left that over sized windshield off, never re installed it and made it look more current when done. Secondly I installed a bench seat across the back, increasing seat capacity. Using a marine grade plywood it ran from side to side and had a matching back rest which blocked out the equipment area behind. The bench seat was supported not just at the ends but also with a fitted piece that ran from the bottom of the upholstered seat to the floor side to side for added support. I only had 2 single seat wrap around buckets up front. I also had a 12 gallon bow tank. The engine would turn a 23" pitch prop with the engine jacked to the highest level mount holes. I normally ran a 19" and 21" depending on skiing or sporting around with the cavitation plate even with the bottom of the boat. I always liked the sound of that Merc running at 5800 rpms and skimming down Sarasota Bay.
Have you thought about separating the top deck from the bottom hull to do your needed work?
I tried to upload the picture of my Checkmate when finished but iboat's attachment process said "file too large". If your interested in a picture of that design boat without the large windshield let me know.

Jim Haswell

Cadet

That boat looks BAD! I mean that in a good way. Cant wait to to see it when your done. I always wanted one of those but it was never practical for me.

bigredinohio

Chief Petty Officer

Ahhhhhhhhh the dust pan and hand broom stage! We all know it so well. Better things are to come, keep telling yourself that as you sweat in your little blue suit!

That's what I keep telling myself, especially when I wake up during the night itching like a darn dog.

bigredinohio

Chief Petty Officer

I had the same model Checkmate & same exact motor in the 70s. When I gutted mine I left that over sized windshield off, never re installed it and made it look more current when done. Secondly I installed a bench seat across the back, increasing seat capacity. Using a marine grade plywood it ran from side to side and had a matching back rest which blocked out the equipment area behind. The bench seat was supported not just at the ends but also with a fitted piece that ran from the bottom of the upholstered seat to the floor side to side for added support. I only had 2 single seat wrap around buckets up front. I also had a 12 gallon bow tank. The engine would turn a 23" pitch prop with the engine jacked to the highest level mount holes. I normally ran a 19" and 21" depending on skiing or sporting around with the cavitation plate even with the bottom of the boat. I always liked the sound of that Merc running at 5800 rpms and skimming down Sarasota Bay.
Have you thought about separating the top deck from the bottom hull to do your needed work?
I tried to upload the picture of my Checkmate when finished but iboat's attachment process said "file too large". If your interested in a picture of that design boat without the large windshield let me know.

I really appreciate the information. I'm about to separte the deck from the bottom to work on the transom and the last of my balso repair. I would love to see any pictures of that boat. It sounds pretty cool and inline with what I'm wanting to do.

bigredinohio

Chief Petty Officer

That boat looks BAD! I mean that in a good way. Cant wait to to see it when your done. I always wanted one of those but it was never practical for me.

I can't wait either. I have been looking for something different and haven't seen anything like it for the most part so I took the plunge. I'll keep posting pictures of the progress. Hopefully it starts going much faster now that most of the balsa core is done.

bigredinohio

Chief Petty Officer

Epoxy warning:
IMG_2737.jpg

This is the result of mixing too much epoxy with thickener. It got REALLY hot and set up in a matter of SECONDS. That's about a 1 1/2 pints of wasted epoxy.

For those thinking of using epoxy, mix no more then 9 ounces total at a time. It seems to be the magic number for me as a beginner with 2:1 epoxy - 6 resin/3 hardener.

Last edited:

bigredinohio

Chief Petty Officer

I finally have most of my end grain balsa core replaced.

IMG_2820.jpg

IMG_2821.jpg

IMG_2822.jpg

I did it in two foot sections. After removal, I sanded the inside of the fiberglass and cleaned with acetone. Then I coated the balsa wood with resin, mixed up some epoxy paste then spread inside using a v-notch trowel. Once it was nice and even, I set the balsa in. After all the pieces were set, I went back and filled in the edges with my epoxy paste. Then I glassed in 10oz. cloth just over the new balsa. I plan on glassing a strip of 6" cloth along the edge then will glass 38" wide 1708 over the entire replacement when the balsa is completely replaced.

I think it's time for top deck removal to finish the balsa repair and to start the transom.

Last edited:

jcsercsa

Captain

Looks good there BigRed !!! are you doing your transom ??epoxy is some great stuff, just be carefull, When I over mixed mine it melted the bicket, and was smoking !! just think when you get done you will never have to worrie about it again !! I have allways loved chechmates , they are sweet boats !! cant wait to see this one finished !! keep up the good work !! John

bigredinohio

Chief Petty Officer

Looks good there BigRed !!! are you doing your transom ??epoxy is some great stuff, just be carefull, When I over mixed mine it melted the bicket, and was smoking !! just think when you get done you will never have to worrie about it again !! I have allways loved chechmates , they are sweet boats !! cant wait to see this one finished !! keep up the good work !! John

Thanks. I plan on doing the transom next. It shouldn't be too bad, that is if I can get the top deck off fairly easy. Will probably be tomorrows project after I get some housework done.

dontask

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I really appreciate the information. I'm about to separte the deck from the bottom to work on the transom and the last of my balso repair. I would love to see any pictures of that boat. It sounds pretty cool and inline with what I'm wanting to do.

here's the picture, its 30 plus years ago. This was not the original color and you can see it without the windshield when I was done (and the way I kept it). Good luck on your project, it looks like your doing a first class job.

Attachments

• Checkmate   picture resized.jpg
    Checkmate picture resized.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 0

bigredinohio

Chief Petty Officer

Well, I skipped the housework and went straight to the boat. I managed to drill out all the rivits and had to cut a little to remove the top section of the boat from the bottom hull. After shifting it forward a little so I can access the transom area, I realized that there is mortar/concrete that someone filled in the transom! Maybe it's some sort of transom repair material like seacast or whatever but it looks, feels and breaks just like concrete.

IMG_2829.jpg

Where I did some cutting

IMG_2830.jpg

IMG_2832.jpg

This is part of the piece that I cut out with the concrete whatever stuck to it

IMG_2833.jpg

IMG_2834.jpg

IMG_2836.jpg

You can see a glob of that concrete stuff

Last edited:

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Holy sh!t I think that IS concrete!

chrishayes

HILLBILLY BOAT CONSTRUCTION = T-111 flooring and concrete transom! Whoever did this should really be put to rest!

Hell no, its SOLID. I know a concrete company looking for help if you find the initials of the craftsman who did that, somewhere in the big pour!

Rickairmedic

Commander

Mortar is much easier to mix and doesnt go off nearly as quick as resin ROFLMAO.

Rick

bigredinohio

Chief Petty Officer

Hell no, its SOLID. I know a concrete company looking for help if you find the initials of the craftsman who did that, somewhere in the big pour!

No initials, only a hand print with a missing finger :) The really sad part was most of it was busted up into little chunks!