12' Sears Gamefisher resto

Status
Not open for further replies.

57chris

Petty Officer 2nd Class
My project is a 12' Sears Gamefisher. I picked up this little boat thinking it would be a quick patch job, however like so many other old boats it was worse than it looked. There were a couple of layers of old fiberglass patch repair on the bottom side of the boat, being the kind of guy I am, I couldn't leave it alone so I started peeling. The bottom was broken in so many places I didn't trust a bunch of patches, so i'm working on coating the entire bottom with a new layer of glass. It's more work than it's worth, but the boat has alot of character, and may take the chop here in the south Texas bay better than a flat bottom jon boat as a bonus. If anyone else has one of these i'd like to know what year it is, and seeing pics of others would inspire. Here's a few of mine progressing.

Sitting on the ground where I bought it, doesn't look bad at a glance..."I'll take it!"
sportfisher1.jpg

Bottom side after beggining stripdown
gamefisherA.jpg

One side of bottom glassed and block sanded
boatpj007.jpg

Last edited:

57chris

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 12' Sears Gamefisher resto

Starting to glass other side of bottom
boatpj006.jpg

Block sanding it all back flat will pay off when painted
boatpj019.jpg

GlastronJohn

Seaman Apprentice

My brother had one and fixed it up. Wish I had pix. Looks like you're off to a good start.

57chris

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Sanding, sanding, glassing, more sanding and here's where i'm at...I have glass covering the entire bottom now, and wrapped up the sides about 2". Still a lot of block sanding left to do, shoulda glassed it from the inside and just left it rough, gelled the outside. Hind-sight is 20/20. :rolleyes: Getting closer all the time though, at least if I get tired of sanding on it it'll float now, purely cosmetic from here on out. The boat is still not very heavy to pick up, but you can feel the difference handling it now... much stronger than it was. I have no worries now about riding over rough chop or scraping on oyster beds in the flats. Some progress pics:

Glassed corners all the way around...
PROGRESS001.jpg

glass on the last bottom sections...
PROGRESSO002.jpg

sanding, sanding, and more sanding...
ALLMOST003.jpg

blending the glass into the sides...
ALLMOST006.jpg

57chris

Petty Officer 2nd Class

What I didn't show here was all the work patching the damaged areas in the first couple of photos, I didn't just start glassing over the holes...I fixed everything first. Really I could have gel coated it at that point and called it done, but I didn't like how thin the hull was. My dad thinks i'm nuts putting all of this extra work into the boat, but I know it will make a difference in the way it feels on the water, and a lot more peace of mind. I don't think I could do it though if it weren't for the inspiration this site provides. When I get discouraged, and feel like it's too much work, I just read the boat project threads...Oops' 25 footer does it for me every time. :cool:

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Wow you are doing a nice job there........ one comment

Your motor is too big for that boat and it will fly. You are overpowering that 12' hull.

jah1317

Cadet

Is the foam under your seats saturated? Mine was and honestly each section weighed 20+ lbs your seats seem fine mine had one missing so that made my choice easy, yank the seats and build decks. Good luck, your about 1 step ahead of me so I will keep a close eye on your project.

Good luck,

Jacob

57chris

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I actually removed the seats and ground all the old glue off, and re-glued them in with heavy duty liquid nail. I'm still working on the interior, plans are to glass the seats in and fill with expanding foam, I have a small compartment going in the front seat, keeping the original middle seat ice box too. The boat is rated for a 14 horsepower, so I don't think 18 will be too bad :D...just how I like them, just a little too fast. Besides, it'll only go as fast as you twist the handle. I couldn't stand it anymore though folks, I live right on the water...and this thing will float now...time to check for leaks! :)

We have been calling her the "Mighty Mullet", lol
MAIDENVOYAGE001.jpg

I christen thee the Mighty Mullet
MAIDENVOYAGE003.jpg

Paddling around, feels good, no leaks, easy to paddle
MAIDENVOYAGE010.jpg

57chris

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I had to get out and get a shot of my brother poling the little boat around
MAIDENVOYAGE006.jpg

Not so bad to stand up in
MAIDENVOYAGE005.jpg

I still have lots of work to do, she's not done by far, but she floats. It sure felt good to be out on the water today. :)

Landscaping Wiz 808

Chief Petty Officer

I'm not sure how I missed this thread until now or your other on the 18hp seahorse, but I'm on board now! Subscription assured!:D Keep up the good work!

BOB

57chris

Petty Officer 2nd Class

When I got up this morning I felt like a kid on Christmas morning, the boat was in the water waiting as I carried the Johnson Seahorse down to the bank. I felt like a test pilot about to take off in an experimental craft while I was tightening the clamps on the outboard and situating the fuel tank and battery. Life Jacket...check, plug in...check, batten down the hatches and here we go. You guys had me worried, lol...this boat and motor is the perfect combination. The Gamefisher jumped up onto plane quickly and smoothly and felt sooo nice, natural, and not scary or squirely at all. I would estimate with two of us; my brother and I both at about 160, 6 gallon tank of gas, and full size 12v battery we were running about 20 mph. I also did a solo test later with only myself aboard, no battery, and closer to a half tank or 3 gallons of fuel and it was a different animal. With the weight down and no passenger in the middle or front the craft would point the bow nearly straight up in the air and would not plane...on that trim or tilt notch. With two of us I had it on the 3rd from lowest notch, with only one person I had to run it on the 1st or trimmed all the way down. Trimmed like this it did fine, but ran much faster and is sooo much fun! Overall it handles the 18hp very well, especially full of gear and a passenger. The good videos are on my brother's camera, but here's a couple of pics from the day.

loaded up and ready to test
MAIDENPOWEREDVOYAGE001.jpg

does this look scary to drive? lol :p my brother at the helm
MAIDENPOWEREDVOYAGE004.jpg

of course we brought fishing rods :D
MAIDENPOWEREDVOYAGE006.jpg

57chris

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well it was fun, but it's time to pull her back out of the water and go back in the shop...this was only a test. I learned alot...wieght isn't effecting the boat's performance with the 18, only making it more stable. It could use come wieght in the front for sure. The liquid nail is not enough to hold the seats, it has allready come loose from the side in one place...so i'll have to glass them in, but I am re-thinking some seating ideas. My butt hurts pretty bad after riding in it yesterday and this morning, with hardly any chop on the water compared to what it is most of the time here...cushions or padded seats with backs are on my mind. I burned nearly 6 gallons of fuel, today on the last run it started to stumble and die...gas leaking from the cowling, yup, still need that plastic float, lol. Ordered it just a few minutes ago. When she goes back in the water she'll be painted white with a red stripe to match the white stripe on the Johnson Seahorse, and hopefully ready to make it out to the bay.

57chris

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I found some missing pics today. These are of the inside after removing the seats and getting it cleaned up and ready for new glue...(which is not holding very well), so it will likely look like this again later this week.

100_1001.jpg

100_1008.jpg

100_1026.jpg

Nico2112

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'm in for the ride too:D

Nice boat mate!

57chris

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks Nico! Here's a couple shots of her in the water with me at the helm...time to go fast! :cool:

chrisboat1.jpg

chrisboat2.jpg

Nico2112

Petty Officer 1st Class

Wow, she runs nicely!

There's nothing better than a small all purpose boat. I have a 10" runabout, which I'm about to pimp (I'll leave that for when my thread starts:) )

Landscaping Wiz 808

Chief Petty Officer

Man, that thing flies!!:D

I was reading your other thread and if your overpowered on that boat it's only by a couple of horsepower. I could be wrong, but I think I read here (iboats) that O.B. motors horsepower used to be measured at the power head instead of the propeller like they are now. If I got that right it means your motor is more like a 15-16hp which is closer to your max hp rating (depending on when the boat was built :rolleyes:).

On the seats, is it possible to fiberglass them in or are they a different material?

Can't wait to see her finished.

BOB

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Hey chris..

Something I learned from a true seaman..

When you christen the boat..Drink the bottle..break it..and pee on the bow :D

YD.

Status
Not open for further replies.