Votes: 19 41.3%
  • Interlux Brightsides

Votes: 16 34.8%
  • Pettit Easypoxy

Votes: 11 23.9%

• Total voters

lakelover

Rear Admiral
EDIT 2/17/15: With the new forum format, the index is not accurate. It's based on the old forum default of 25 posts per page. :(

Here's something I just figured out: If you are using the forum default of 15 posts per page....You can get within a page or two of what you might be looking for if you divide the page number in the index by 6/10 (...that's .6).

For example: "vinyl lettering application tips" - p. 53. So get out your calculator and divide 53 by .6 and you come out with 88.33. That subject is actually on p. 87, so it comes out pretty close.

Hope that helps!

Edit 8/10/11:

I've added this index to help locate specific subjects so you won't have to wade through all the pages looking for something if you don't want to. If you have your setting at the default of 25 posts per page, the page numbers should be accurate. The index is rough and incomplete but should be helpful. I'll add to it as pages are added.

Subject followed by pages:

Aluminum supply source 33
Before & After pictures 44
Bow cap 6, 7, 20
Brochure identifying model 2
Capacity plate 4, 25
Chastised for not posting pictures :+) 24
Clean-up 5, 14
Controls 10, 27, 31, 35, 36, 37, 38
Cover 53
Dashboard 5, 13, 14, 28
Deck hardware 4, 18, 30
Epoxy resin 10
Floor 9, 12, 16
Flotation 8, 12, 30
Johnson/Evinrude steering arm chart 39
Lift (Hewitt) 51, 52, 55
Motor 1, 17, 18, 20, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43
New boat 1
Original ad on craigslist 35
Painting 8, 9, 11, 12, 13, 17, 18, 19, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26
Propeller 35, 47
Repairing deck holes 5
Rub rail 14, 18, 31, (including Starcraft Part # and dimensions for insert) 45, 49
Seats 4, 5, 6, 10, 12, 13, 32, 55
Specs for Jet and Jet Star 50
SPLASH! 46, 47
Splashwell 31
Stainless Steel fastener supply source for small quantities 28
Steering 5, 29, 33, 34, 35
Stripping paint 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 18, 19, 20, 21
Tilt/trim 33, 47
Topside 4
Trailer (including straightening) 7, 15, 16, 17, 26
Transom 3, 4, 5, 7, 9, 18, 27, 29, 3, 31, 33,34, 38
Trim 14, 42
Video, on the water 54
Vinyl 11
Vinyl lettering source 42
Vinyl lettering application tips 53
Windshield 18, 28, 30
Wiring accessories 27, 30, 39, 47, 48

A condensed version of this thread can be found in the "Completed Boat Projects" forum at:

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=524033

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I finally took the plunge and got a boat like I've been looking for in the last year or so. I stumbled across it locally on Craigslist, the price seemed right at $750 (got it for $700) and basically the hull and transom are in good solid condition. So here are some starting out photos. I plan to work on it as time and $$$ permit, so progress will most likely be sporadic. The outboard I'm not too thrilled about and will most likely be looking for something else around 40-45hp, stated max is 45. I'm looking forward to diving in! I'm sure I'll be back asking lots of questions along the way.

As she came home with me...Classic Ugly:
w-DSC_1631-1.jpg

Port & starboard (the speckling is mud splatters):
w-DSC_1657.jpg

w-DSC_1655.jpg

Front deck is real dirty, more so than the rest of it as it has been exposed to the elements because of a short tarp. It's been repainted along the line and would look nice if I can get it cleaned up. It's a nice sort of metal flake burgundy.
w-DSC_1654.jpg

Stern with 50hp 1964 West Bend power. I know it runs but I haven't started it myself yet.
w-DSC_1641-1.jpg

Helm: I envision a new wood dashboard & plan to ditch the compass (points south!), speedometer & depth finder. New controls and steering when I change the outboard. Current steering is pulley & cable.
w-DSC_1649.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

lakelover

Rear Admiral
Re: 1964 15' Starcraft Aluminum Runabout Project more pics

Re: 1964 15' Starcraft Aluminum Runabout Project more pics

The entire interior needs to be gutted. The floor is so rotten I can break it out by hand, and don't know if I'll be able to save it in pieces big enough to use for templates.
w-DSC_1651.jpg

w-DSC_1647.jpg

I'll probably go with classic back-to-back lounge seats:
w-DSC_1650.jpg

w-DSC_1637.jpg

w-DSC_1633.jpg

w-DSC_1634.jpg

lakelover

Rear Admiral
Re: 1964 15' Starcraft Aluminum Runabout Project & more pics

Re: 1964 15' Starcraft Aluminum Runabout Project & more pics

A couple more:
w-DSC_1636.jpg

w-DSC_1644.jpg

Boss Hawg

Lieutenant
Re: 1964 15' Starcraft Aluminum Runabout Project

She'll be a very cool boat when you've finished!
Welcome to the Starcraft family :D

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Looks like a nice project. Very similar to mine but a little smaller. I'd gut the interior, put in a new floor and some lounge seats. See if the old West Bend will start, put an impellar in it and take it for a spin. Good luck with it! They are definitely solid boats.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Ding ding ding three knee braces. :D

Bob_VT

Staff member

Use brown paper to trace the complex spots on the deck BEFORE you rip it out. Like up by the bow ....hint hint.

Rickairmedic

Commander

Ding ding ding three knee braces. :D

Bob this seems to make you quite happy :D:D;).

Lakelover welcome to iboats and the Starcraft club :D. I am suposed to have a folder with my 70 jupiter 16' that includes all the dimensions for the deck hopefully I will get the rest of my boat picked up this weekend including said folder :D.

Rick

Bob_VT

Staff member

BTW I do not think that is a compass.... it appears to be a depth flasher.

Yes three knee braces..... I have three in my boat (one in the closet but that's another story ;)) which has caused me to once again requestion what model I have :confused: This actually started this morning.

Of course all of us with 60 something starcraft must realize that the worker's who built them are all either dead or near death :eek:

That reminds me I need to drag up that thread and have Lakeover and others post to it ;)

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=298301&highlight=starcraft

lakelover

Rear Admiral

Yup, that's a depth finder on the right; the south-pointing compass is seen on the dashboard near the center. It would be nice to have a depth finder, but I want to minimize holes in the hull. Besides, after 50 years, I know every rock, stump and shallow area in my lake!

Rickairmedic

Commander

Lakelover hope your weather is better for boat work today than mine . I think I may go get the rest of my vinyl paint and work on the interior some since I can get to it in the garage :D.

Rick

lakelover

Rear Admiral

Lakelover hope your weather is better for boat work today than mine . I think I may go get the rest of my vinyl paint and work on the interior some since I can get to it in the garage :D.

Rick

I hope to get something done today, the sun's shining and the temperature's reasonable. But....I ended up trimming branches & limbs in the front yard yesterday and that turned into an all day project and then some. Still gotta clean up. Part of it's routine but part's still remnants of our December ice storm. Gotta get working on that boat!

lakelover

Rear Admiral

Yes three knee braces..... I have three in my boat (one in the closet but that's another story ;)) which has caused me to once again requestion what model I have :confused: This actually started this morning.

Soon I?ll be at the stage of replacing the plywood but I can?t decide whether to replace it with the wood just riveted to the aluminum ribs, like original, or put in a floor that runs level across so I won?t have to mess around leveling the new reclining seats. However, I?m not sure if I want to raise the whole floor those precious few inches up off the hull. Mine won?t be a fishing boat, so no pedestal seats for me.

At any rate, I'm thinking of sealing the wood all sides with Marine grade Rustoleum, following their priming instructions & adding the no-slip to the tops.

....Tell me about knee braces.

Rickairmedic

Commander

I understand the Ice storm cleanup . I still have a PILE of debris out back from the Ice storm we had this year ended up taking out 7 pine trees so far still have one pine and a blue spruce to take down but they can wait till after the Jupiter is done :D.

Rick

lakelover

Rear Admiral

Here's the new companion for the craft. I've been trying to sell the 50 West Bend on craigslist, ebay and another website, with some interest, but have a prospect now that looks like it might fly. The "new" Johnson is a 2003 that's waiting it's turn in the shed. It has oil injection, and I'd prefer to convert it to pre-mix if it's not too difficult. I've just always mixed that way and prefer it. So as soon as I get the West Bend off, I feel that I can really get going on things.

w-DSC_1934ab.jpg

Last edited:

Rickairmedic

Commander

Lakelover the Whole Kneebrace thing had Bob up in arms for a while in trying to figure out which model his Starcraft actually was . he first thought it was a Jupiter like my 70 however most of us with Jupiters only have one knee brace and Bob's had three like yours they help tie the transom into the hull at the bottom of the transom . With help from Northbeach Bob has determined his Boat is a Nassau which I would guess is also what you have.

Rick

starcrafter65

Chief Petty Officer

I have a Nassau with 3 braces - the thread about mine with pics is kicking around...whatever you don't bugger up the piece of wood that is the dash...I tried to get mine out - (it does not have to come out to put new covering on it) and when I did that I butchered it. It has nice cuts to wedge it in between the hull sides - and was put it before the top deck was installed - so just leave it in!!

Boss Hawg

Lieutenant

Here's the new companion for the craft. I've been trying to sell the 50 West Bend on craigslist, ebay and another website, with some interest, but have a prospect now that looks like it might fly. The "new" Johnson is a 2003 that's waiting it's turn in the shed. It has oil injection, and I'd prefer to convert it to pre-mix if it's not too difficult. I've just always mixed that way and prefer it. So as soon as I get the West Bend off, I feel that I can really get going on things.

w-DSC_1934a.jpg

Starcraft & Johnson - perfect match :D

lakelover

Rear Admiral

I have a Nassau with 3 braces - the thread about mine with pics is kicking around...whatever you don't bugger up the piece of wood that is the dash...I tried to get mine out - (it does not have to come out to put new covering on it) and when I did that I butchered it. It has nice cuts to wedge it in between the hull sides - and was put it before the top deck was installed - so just leave it in!!

Thanks, I saw that when I was looking it over in the exploration stage. After seeing that it was tied in very early on, I decided to do some fixing up rather than replacing. That's beyond my ambition & capabilities.

lakelover

Rear Admiral

Lakelover the Whole Kneebrace thing had Bob up in arms for a while in trying to figure out which model his Starcraft actually was . he first thought it was a Jupiter like my 70 however most of us with Jupiters only have one knee brace and Bob's had three like yours they help tie the transom into the hull at the bottom of the transom . With help from Northbeach Bob has determined his Boat is a Nassau which I would guess is also what you have.

Rick

Thanks, Rick ( & starcrafter65); now I know what a knee brace is! ;)
I'll see if I can do some research on the Nassau model, I didn't even have a clue of the model before.