I need advice from the smartest boat Guru out there

Insideouts

Cadet
I have a 1984 Monark 14'0" aluminum boat I bought. Upon bringing it home I noticed The transom had plywood on the inside and it was completely rotten and full of termites. I removed the old wood and had to cut the old bolts out. Now I'm trying to find out the best way to replace whatever I need to on the transom to have this boat meet it's spec's.
1) My first question is how do I replace plywood on transom when the transom has a lip all the way around the entire thing
2) there's some sort of triangle support brace that connects to the floor and the center of the transom at the bottom. Where it meets the transom it 90's so the triangle can be bolted to the back but about 50% of the 90 lip fell off when I was cleaning boat obviously from previous owner.
3) along the top of my transom lip in the middle it has a crack. How do I repair this so it's sturdy enough to hold a motor
4) what material, bolts, sealing solution, transom support or anything else u can think I need please help me by letting me know. This is my first boat and first time repairing a boat

Thank you so much in advance,
Another boat guy

Patfromny

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Pics help. Yours didn't post. The lip usually comes off whether by unscrewing it or drilling out the rivets. Or a combo of both. Without pics I can only offer this advice. The transom wasn't born in the boat. Someone put it in there. It is entirely possible to replace it. You just have to figure out how it was done the first time. Post some pics of this Crack so the experts can tell you if it's even worth fixing. (Pics bring everyone out of there gopher holes. Lol

Insideouts

Cadet
Hey

Attachments

• IMG_1767.JPG
    IMG_1767.JPG
    205.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1770.JPG
    IMG_1770.JPG
    243.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1771.JPG
    IMG_1771.JPG
    219.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1772.JPG
    IMG_1772.JPG
    217 KB · Views: 0

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Welcome aboard.

Back up about 10 feet and take the pics again. We can't see what you see when the pics are so close.

tpenfield

Staff member
:welcome:

OK, you are not the best photographer, but I think a mid-level Guru and particularly one that specializes in aluminum boats, will do. There are plenty of threads here on iBoats that you can review and see what others have done in situations like yours.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
your camera resolution is not the greatest

suggest option 3 for posting pictures http://forums.iboats.com/forum/forum-rules-and-guidelines/9938375-photo-upload-tutorial

and 10 feet is about 5 x further away than where you were taking the pictures.

regarding the crack - you take your boat to a welder and have the crack welded. while he/she is welding the one crack, have them look at the section of aluminum that "fell off"

you may need to remove the knee brace to get the transom in, then replace it.

Patfromny

Lieutenant Junior Grade
What we're saying is that yes, we see the Crack. But we have no idea where it is on the boat. It's a super tight crop of the Crack. Take a pic from further back so we can get a sense of where everything is.

bansil

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Here are a couple quick pics of last weekend, I just used regular plywood and sealed the mess out of it (wanted to get on water quick and I didnt have an AC Tig to repair the angle brace where the last owner cut it off.
Note--> DO NOT use treated plywood WITH OUT isolating it from the aluminum, paint the alum. transom with a good thick paint or the chemicals will corrode the alum.

I drilled out the rivets that attached the corner bracing so I could remove the wood, It only had a pc of wood vertical under brace and a separate pc of wood horizontal, you could grab the transom and move it about 3/4 of an inch

When I took off the original wood there was about 40 holes in the transom as they used wood screws from opposite sides to attach the wood

I made a lot bigger inner pc and used a pc of aluminum to strengthen it more and had to drill 4 more holes.

It looks like a porcupine inside (haven't cut off the bolts yet) it DOES NOT flex at all now so stress cracks like you have will not happen

You need to remove corner braces and have that crack welded up before replacing the wood

The wood replaced

20170620_145905_zpsfcevblwl.jpg

20170620_145928_zpsn28jcaza.jpg

Notice gap between wood and how cut brace doesn't connect them together? That is not good to much flex

20170620_153523_zpsc3wgf8kg.jpg

Stripped down

20170620_153519_zpsmwnfnfao.jpg

A bigillion holes

20170620_173519_zpst1u0arjr.jpg

Test fit

20170620_155315_zpseoaidfc2.jpg

Aluminum brace to keep bolts from pulling into wood, and will be used as mounting point for future projects

20170620_161010_zps9z3t3ksv.jpg

Test fit

20170620_161534_zpsbvuwsatn.jpg

4th coat of poly (should of used resin, didnt have any though)

20170620_173625_zpswh2z0lx5.jpg

Gluing outside pc together

20170620_163201_zps8wu0zl2o.jpg

Ready to drill holes

20170620_161549_zpssulx17at.jpg

DISCLAIMER...I am not an expert guru, just wanted to get on the water, I plan to replace the aluminum this winter after boating and fishing season

DeepCMark58A

Commander
Spend the money on marine grade, some paint on treated plywood is not going to protect or prevent the treated plywood from interacting with the aluminum.

GA_Boater

bansil

Did you post in the wrong thread? We can't see what the OP is working with, so your blow by blow is nice but not helpful at this point. Except for;

Insideouts - Post some pics like bansil's so we can see what you're dealing with.

bansil

Petty Officer 2nd Class
GA_Boater, Nope correct thread (still need to start my own thread ;)), his problem from removing top corner caps to reinforcing/new wood is exactly what I went through last weekend so I thought he may like to see one way to do it, what it intails

(if it is not helpful it can be removed by a mod)

deepcMark58a, I mentioned painting the aluminum not treated wood? For me using a heavy and $$ wood was not an option for my location and the 12'7" light boat

GA_Boater

GA_Boater, Nope correct thread (still need to start my own thread ;)), his problem from removing top corner caps to reinforcing/new wood is exactly what I went through last weekend so I thought he may like to see one way to do it, what it intails

(if it is not helpful it can be removed by a mod)

deepcMark58a, I mentioned painting the aluminum not treated wood? For me using a heavy and $$ wood was not an option for my location and the 12'7" light boat

We don't know how his boat is constructed so until he adds some useful pics, we're stuck.

You should start a thread.

bansil

Petty Officer 2nd Class
They are crappy, but very similar in design as mine

Im sorry I thought these were his pictures

tran4_zps0iegvkrg.jpg

tran3_zpscodk8zej.jpg

tran3_zpscodk8zej.jpg

tran2_zpszzsmvrol.jpg

GA_Boater

You're a better observer that I, bansil. Can't tell a thing from those pics except a cracked something.

We are hijacking this thread. Let's wait for Insideouts to show some better pics.

Insideouts

Cadet
Thank you so much you completely answered any and all questions I had. Your boat is just like mine.
U are a Guru in my book
They are crappy, but very similar in design as mine

Im sorry I thought these were his pictures

tran4_zps0iegvkrg.jpg

tran3_zpscodk8zej.jpg

tran3_zpscodk8zej.jpg

tran2_zpszzsmvrol.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Patfromny

Lieutenant Junior Grade
OK then. Just wow. Hey bansil, I'm thinking of a number between 1 and 500......lol. I'm glad your question was answered inside out. Good luck

bansil

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Insideouts your welcome,
Im glad the pictures helped you, good luck!

Patfromny....437?

Last edited: