1986 Glasstream- Restoring the shine

skyman501

Recruit
Hello all, I recently purchased a 1986 Glasstream pro bass 1550. The boat is in great shape, with a nice mercury 50hp motor. I am about to begin installing new carpet and new seats, however before I do that I was wondering if there's any way I can restore the finish on my boat. I have tried 3M marine restorer and wax and a buffer, which took some of the roughness out of the finish but did little otherwise. So my question is, is there anything I can do to restore the finish, or is it just how it is going to be unless I repaint?

chevymaher

Commander
No Title

Depending on the level of oxidation and fade that is there. Start with as little as you need to do the job. You did just that.

I started with a 3000 sanding sponge then it made a faded shine. Then 1000 grit followed by 3000 grit then buff. I had ghost outlines of the registration numbers and stickers I could see but the shine was outstanding. Then I went over the whole color stripe with 600,1000 then 3000. Then used Meguires ultra cut 105 with a buffer looks like new now. Color needs more attention like that. The white does not since it oxidizes into a white anyway. So on the white just use the 1000 till it is slick to the touch. Then 3000 and it will already be shining.

Deal is the coarser paper takes off more Gel Coat and removes the oxidation. But it also makes it thinner so in the future you have fewer buffs left in maintaining it. But if you are willing to repaint that is of little consequence.

On a boat with big metallic you may even start removing the metallic it is normal. Buff and wax after sanding.

Gel coat fades immediately upon completion quickly. So a UV Protectant wax is needed. I used Ardex Ocean Polymer it is outstanding.

In the pics the white isnt done yet. I discovered I needed stringers and finishing got put on hold a while.

Attachments

• photo261537.jpg
    photo261537.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 0
  • photo261538.jpg
    photo261538.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 0

jbcurt00

Staff member
http://forums.iboats.com/forum/forum-rules-and-guidelines/9938375-photo-upload-tutorial
Pix help ^^^

You mentioned roughness, so you can feel the metal flakes when you run your hand across the boat?

If so, you might be able to sand and polish it back to some sort of shine, but it wont ever look like a nice metal flake job unless you vigorously sand it all and spray a new coat of metal flake. The exposed flakes have oxidized, faded and are no longer buried in clear. Once you start sanding on them to tru and make the hull smooth, the flakes will change shape and color.

Spraying a new layer of clear paint may improve it somewhat, but clear paint will tend to crack and peel over time. Clear gelcoat may last longer, but again, the underlying flake has changed since it was exposed and sanded.

Metal flake gelcoat is extremely difficult to redo once the flakes are exposed and the hull feels rough....

Pix will help...

Good luck w your project and welcome to iboats

skyman501

Recruit
Thank you guys for your replies! I will see what I can do, and try to post pics when finished.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Pics will for sure help us to guide you in the right direction. In 9-10 cases the only way to restore Flake Gelcoat is to sand it off and start over. Once it gets down to the Flake and has oxidized, there's just NO WAY to bring it back like New. I agree with both of the members comments.;)

gm280

Supreme Mariner
skyman501, I know what boat model you have and I like that boat a lot. I like the lines of that hull better then a lot of others. So I am interested in seeing pictures. I owned a Glasstream HydroBass boat myself and I really like it. But the Bass Pro 1550 was a model down from it and I equally liked that hull design as well.

With that said, if you are already into the metal flakes, there really isn't much you can do to make it look better. The only option is to sand it down to get it very smooth and then use a good quality high build two part primer and get it ready for top coat paint. It can be done and makes a great Bass Boat as well. JMHO

Inshoremac

Cadet
Cant wait for pics. I was gonna say wet sandingwas what worked for me in the past, actualy made what i thought was a tan hull.... yellow. But if your boat is in the shape like mine. Lots of gelcoat sanding is what probably needs to happen. Its a shame because it was a pretty cool original paint scheme. I used a 1/4 sheet sander and 40 grit paper and lots of elbo grease, but it does work.

gm280... the HydroBass is the trihull version and the Pro Bass is the v hull right. Im still confused about which on lol.