14' SC Rebuild

frazoo

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Been away for too long, been waiting for paperwork to come back from dgif. I was somewhat worried when I could not find an ID plate anywhere (even though I had a good title and expired registration paperwork). Didn't want to throw $$ down a rabbit hole just in case.
But yesterday evening I finally found it, right where it should have been, and it clears up another mystery; this is the Falcon model!

Now I can proceed with some comfort of mind since everything matches the old paperwork. Since I already have it cleaned out I guess it's time to take it off the trailer and flip it to get down to getting all the old paint off and inspect all rivets (speaking of rivets, that's how I found the manufacturers plate, I noticed two rivets along the inwale that looked out of place compared to the rivet patterns elsewhere).
Be back in a few days with some progress to report.
P.S. I hate autocorrect, as it hardly is ever correct.

frazoo

Petty Officer 2nd Class
No Title

Been a long summer, finally got it stripped, this is an earlier pic during the process.
Layout will be a raised deck at the stern with a swivel seat, bench seat midway, and small bow seat forward. Trying to keep it simple, yet still functional. The mahogany ply was so pretty I set it aside for different build and ordered regular marine ply for this one.

Attachments

• photo277376.jpg
    photo277376.jpg
    210.8 KB · Views: 7

frazoo

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Referring back to the image in post #13 of the inside transom area, there is a scupper hole to the right of the knee brace. I noticed when I tore out the old decking, there was much rot to the left of the knee brace, where water can pool.
Do they make an Aluminum scupper hole insert so I can install another scupper hole in that area, or what would y'all suggest?
Thanks,

jbcurt00

Staff member
Yes they sell aluminum drain tubes, be sure to get 1 intended for an aluminum boat. They are made specifically for aluminum boats and are a little different then those for a fiberglass boat

frazoo

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks, ordered the four-piece drain tube and the flaring tool. On a spending spree now for bits and pieces, starting to look for a 35 hp ob (the Falcon is rated for 35, but wonder if 25 would get it up on plane easily). Waiting for new rollers for trailer to arrive also.
Ordered gluvit and a enough sani-tred to seal the decking. I'm new to gluvit, but used the Sani-tred on a fiberglass/wood composite boat years ago with very good results. I'm going to try the Sani-tred on a test area on the aluminum to see if it works as well on that as it did on other materials.

frazoo

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Read through some Falcon rebuilds last night, looks like it is rated for 40 hp, not 35 as I disremembered yesterday. But, I doubt I need that much hp, but won't really know until I give it a try.
The PO really liked silicon caulk, I'm cleaning it off with airplane stripper, MEK, a brass brush and then an acetone wash. Does that sound sufficient?
Thanks

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Where was the silicone used at? What ever it takes to get it off is fine just be careful how long the stripper sits on any of the seams, you don't want to have it eat away at the sealer between the sections of the boat.

frazoo

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Mostly used on a dozen or so rivets and along the keel edge in various places. I don't see that any rivets are loose and the manufacturer-applied sealer in the seams appears to be intact. There were three layers of solid, albeit rotted decking so I don't know how the PO came up with the areas he thought needed sealing with silicon.
Next step (I guess), should be another power wash of the inside and add a few inches of water and look for leaks, then mark and address?

A lot of information was lost in that photo hosting thing!

frazoo

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Reference image in post #22, looks like someone jacknifed into the boat near the bow. Thinking a 2x6 about a foot long on the outside and a "gentle" hammer on the inside to take that out?

frazoo

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Could I get this moved to the StarCraft owners forum?
Thanks

Watermann

Welcome to channel TIN, all tin, all the time :lol:

frazoo

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks!
Channel tin, I like that :).
Got out the power washer and cleaned the exterior, flipped it again and soaked and then power washed the interior again. Plugged the drain hole, put a few inches of water in hull and started looking for leaks. To my surprise, I only found two; one rivet and a small leak where the transom meets the side near the bottom of the boat.
Got it drained and flipped again, will start sanding to give a keyway for adhesion, tape it off and start sealing everything on the exterior, hopefully tomorrow.
Question, would it be best to wait until boat is back on trailer to do transom replacement and deck install, or braced on the ground?
Thanks

Watermann

Sure would be a whole lot easier to work on the boat low to the ground when it comes to getting inside. I don't know if it would get too heavy being a 14'r that a few guys couldn't muscle it back onto the trailer.

frazoo

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Sure would be a whole lot easier to work on the boat low to the ground when it comes to getting inside. I don't know if it would get too heavy being a 14'r that a few guys couldn't muscle it back onto the trailer.

That sounds about right, thanks! Should be in the 300 lb neighborhood by then. If I have to, I can install new transom and cut the decking to fit, but install after on trailer also (just a few old guys like me for the lifting).

frazoo

Petty Officer 2nd Class
No Title

Decided to use the Sani-tred on the bottom up to the spray rail. Time will tell whether it does as well as it does on plywood. Will use a good paint on the sides. I really wanted something substantial for the seams, and this stuff has UV protection also.

Attachments

• photo277770.jpg
    photo277770.jpg
    168.5 KB · Views: 2

frazoo

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Another dumb question if I may?
Transom is 16". I think ob shafts are 15 and 20"? If so , how does that work out on this boat?