Did I buy enough resin?

SkaterRace

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I bought a 1L can of resin and a .2l can of hardener as well as 1.5 oz 50" CSM two of which to be exact. Can I expect this to be enough resin or should have bought more? I also would like to coat a board for the transom. [h=1][/h]

slimdaddy45

Seaman Apprentice
I just used 2 1/2 gal and 6 yrds of glass on my transom how big is the board

SkaterRace

I just used 2 1/2 gal and 6 yrds of glass on my transom how big is the board
72x30 ish it is the transom I will be coating the board I am using and then I will be using a small strip of fiberglass around the edge.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I used 15 gallons of resin for a transom, stringers, motor mounts, two coolers and the foam floatation boxes.

1 liter isn't enough for what you are doing. 3 liters maybe

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
lShort answer NOPE. Typical transom of that size will need 3 litres of resin and 5L of cabosil just to make the PB. It will take another 3L to do the tabbing and the glass work to finish it off. I'd highly recommend a minimum of two layers of 1708 fabric to cover the transom and that would mean you need 3 yards of it.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
What kind of Resin are you Buying? What kind of Glass Fabric are you using.

SkaterRace

What kind of Resin are you Buying? What kind of Glass Fabric are you using.
I am using 1.5 oz CSM and it is west system 105 resin with the slow hardener. I am cutting off the glass on the transom so I will just be needing resign for the the edge where I am putting the old glass back on. I will also be fixing 2 4 inch cracks in the transom before putting it back on and painting it.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Yup CSM is NOT used with epoxy. Only fabric. two layers of 17oz is my recommendation. Got any pics of what you're working on???

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Your transom will not be adequately attached to the boat if you use CSM for tabbing. It has not strength. IMHO you need to Bite the bullet and purchase the correct fabric.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
I think you need to explain exactly what your plan is, I'm not sure we completely understand. The CSM is of no value in this repair, you'll need to get some other types of glass to do it right.

SkaterRace

Your transom will not be adequately attached to the boat if you use CSM for tabbing. It has not strength. IMHO you need to Bite the bullet and purchase the correct fabric.
This is the first place I have seen someone go against CSM and 105, I have seen it on boatworkstoday, when I talked to my cousin who does it professionally and the guy at the shop. So I am pretty confident that it will work and be safe. I did have to order in CSM since there is a slightly different one for use with 105

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Can CSM be used...yes...is it the correct product...NO. The strength of the repair will be significantly less using CSM than when compaired to the correct fabrics.

Cloth or something like 1700 would yield much better results.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
FYI Skater, ondarvr IS the guy who sells epoxyand poly to hundreds of distributors and he's been doing so for 4 decades. He is also called to testify in many cases involving fiberglass failure. He IS the consumate reference for what's right and what is not...

I'd HEED his advice. He KNOWS!!!!

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
FYI Skater, ondarvr IS the guy who sells epoxyand poly to hundreds of distributors and he's been doing so for 4 decades. He is also called to testify in many cases involving fiberglass failure. He IS the consumate reference for what's right and what is not...

I'd HEED his advice. He KNOWS!!!!

Dang! I always hate when you leave out that I was at the West System facility for a week to take their training course to learn their products and methods, plus that the rep is a good friend of mine, I've known him for a very long time.

Back to the subject,

OP, you will get good solid info on this site from many people that have been there and done that, most documented the journey very well, the good and the bad. They look for good affordable methods that yield reliable results, there are hundreds of examples here on just how to get it done. They also love to help others bypass the pitfalls of what they went through on the learning curve.