Part out or repair

SkaterRace

Senior Chief Petty Officer
So my boat got damaged by a local shop and they are not paying for the damages. So that leaves me with a 3k bill for fiberglass work and 1.2k for motor work or parting out the boat and selling it all then taking the hull to the dump.

Boat without motor and fiberglass issues is worth 6.5k but with 4.2k in repairs needed and I have 2.5k into it (got an amazing deal on it) I really don't want to put more into it than it is worth. Should I fix it all or part it out? Been playing with the idea for about a week now and can't decide.

jbcurt00

Staff member
How does that matter? Answer: It doesn't. The reason or type of damage doesn't matter, the costs on the other hand do matter.

If you want opinions about your options, you might consider answering a few questions about what happened since you created a new topic about parting it out and left all the details and pix in a different topic.

Where ever you got your #s might not be the same #s someone else would come up w, so the part out or fix 'answer' might be different.

Be arguementative and you may not get any replies to help you decide how to proceed.

4200 in damages sounds like a lot of money to walk away from. If you part it out or fix it, either way hampers your efforts to collect money from the shop that damaged your boat, IMO.

Good luck, however you proceed......

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
^^^ Yeah I agree and that's what civil courts are for... exactly this sort of thing... what ever it is :confused:

SkaterRace

I have talked to a lawyer and was told I have no case since I can't prove it that they damaged it. So the options I put forward and asked about are the only ones on the table short of doing the repair myself which would not go well since I have no good experience with fiberglass repair or motors.

shrew

Lieutenant
You left your boat at a repair facility and it got damaged. You need to prove the boat wasn't damaged before you dropped it off? Does the work order notate there was significant damage on the boat? Maybe another lawyer is the next move.

oldjeep

Admiral
Pretty much no money in parting out boats, especially if the engine is bad.

Maclin

Admiral
Civil courts are all about this type of thing. In that arena you do not need 100% proof but do need something for a judge to consider. For that amount of monetary damages I think I would let a judge hear it, all you have to do is sway the judge in your direction. Who knows, the other guy may get tripped up and do it for you.

Maclin

Admiral
Meant Small Claims civil court, usually claims limited to $5k, your case fits I think.

SkaterRace

You left your boat at a repair facility and it got damaged. You need to prove the boat wasn't damaged before you dropped it off? Does the work order notate there was significant damage on the boat? Maybe another lawyer is the next move.
I have talked to a lawyer and was told that it is not worth suing. That is why I started to consider parting out.

lckstckn2smknbrls

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Talk to several lawyers. Just because it's not worth the time to one lawyer doesn't mean it's not an actionable case.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
Maybe telling the make/model/year of the boat may help other determine if parting out is a good option. You basically asked "I have a damaged car is it worth parting it out?" Ferrari or Ford Fiesta?

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Yeah OP already popped on a guy for asking those questions and refused to fill in the blanks. Time to move on...

jkust

Rear Admiral
Keep in mind we are truly trying to help you and share knowledge or experiences when we ask you questions. For example, I had an eerily similar experience with my own boat and the shop completely denied their part in the damage over and over and ovr, and so I turned to my own insurance company who denied the claim several times because it wouldn't be covered under my own policy but ultimately I prevailed because I didn't give up though I lost a lot of sleep over it. I receive my full agreed-value which was the full purchase price for the boat eight years prior and the insurance company subrogated against the shop. The numbers are maybe larger than what you are dealing with but again, just an experience from someone who knows the frustration first hand.

shrew

Lieutenant
I have talked to a lawyer and was told that it is not worth suing. That is why I started to consider parting out.
[/QUOTE]

That is why I was suggesting ANOTHER lawyer. Is it not worth suing for YOU or for the lawyer you spoke with? I'd also consider exploring small-claims court.

roffey

Commander
yup, this thread makes no sense and has no information, I suspect someone is trolling here....

SkaterRace

Maybe telling the make/model/year of the boat may help other determine if parting out is a good option. You basically asked "I have a damaged car is it worth parting it out?" Ferrari or Ford Fiesta?
It is the one in my signature. 1977 Crestliner Cursader 550