1973 fabuglas trident 160 transom stinger and floor

bone1050

Recruit
I have a general idea of what is evolved watching friscoboater's videos had brought me over here watching them over 2 years ago made me think man that sucks hope dads boat isnt like that .

looking through the bilge area today i see a bunch what looks like a bunch of wood chips :grumpy: and where what looks like a 2x4 would go .

what type of wood should i look for the stringers and transom , where is a good place to buy it ? whats the difference between marine grade and the stuff i can get at a big box store ?

what is an acceptable stringer bedding compound ?

what is the best bang for the buck mat weight to buy ?

where is the cheapest place to buy said products ?

anybody ever complete a transom , stringers and floor in a month ?

gm280

Supreme Mariner
:welcome: bone1050 to iboats. Nice to have you aboard...

Okay, seem you've come to the best place to refurbish your boat. There are tons of folks on here that has done the exact same things to their boats. So first thing to do is take tons of pictures from every angle both inside and outside the hull. Then post some on here for us to see what you are dealing with. Also take tons of measurements and plot them down on paper or even a computer programs of a sketch of your boat. Reason? Because both the pictures and measurement will absolutely come in handle later on with the refurbishing efforts for certain.

And for the record, I don't see you refurbishing your boat in one month. We all seem to have that idea and then face reality and know that is never going to happen. It is just the way life goes. So post up some pictures and we can offer answers to all your questions throughout the process.

Most fiberglass boaters use 435 Polyester Laminating Resins with CSM (Chopped Strand Mat) and 1708 fiberglass. But it all depends on which way you decide to go. Some use Epoxy and some use Vinyl Polyester Resins. There are pros and cons with each.

So start out with posting those pictures and let's get going. :thumb:

bone1050

Recruit
Gutted the floor out with a circular saw i wanted to leave at least one stringer in for support but all of them are rotted ,

Did some shopping found a fiberglass supplies an hour away 125 for 5 gallons of resin ,

Search menards and found ab marine grade plywood that is made of fir . For 67 $ a sheet . .75 thick Think its good enough for a transom laminated with pl glue and water proofed with 2 oz chopped mat ?

Seen othere people use pine board for stringers im thinking of doing the same .

Whats the preferred way of glassing 3x1.5 stringers for the sides and 7x1.5 for the center .

Iv seen 1708 in 15 inch wide rolls . Wondering if it be best to do it in the biggest pieces i can for strength.

For some reason i cant add pictures via mobile device . If i have time ill upload them to the laptop and post them up