2 part foam application

Matrix1

Cadet
Great info and ideas guys, Thanks!! Here's what I am working on now, prepping my custom aluminum belly fuel tank. Using 5200 sealant to attach the rubber type material they supplied. Was told to cut the 2" W X 36" L strips in 4" lengths and space them every 10 to 12" along the bottom, V shaped side, and sides. When it's cured I will install the tank back in the boat and have a couple cross members rewelded back in over the tank which helps the strapping down portion. My question is then; The ground tab on the tank do I run a wire from there directly to the battery for proper ground. My fill cap is all plastic on the gunnel and is secured with four ss metal screws. Sorry for the long story.... But the help I get from the forum is super, again thanks and Happy New Year!!

Fiskpond

Cadet
This is a great topic I am glad I found. I am about to pull my Lund into the garage for its rebuild. I am 99.99% sure I will have to replace all of my floatation foam. I thought I read where someone put sheet foam,cut to fit down first. used duct tape to keep the pour foam in its cavity above the sheet foam.Or does a guy just use cut to fit sheet foam for all floatation in the floor? I am by far no expert on the subject, just looking for good idea's. I still am reading and learning. Thanks to all of the wisdom you all share.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
Do a thread on it Fiskpond -- will get a good headstart on the project.

Last edited by a moderator:

lckstckn2smknbrls

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Great info and ideas guys, Thanks!! Here's what I am working on now, prepping my custom aluminum belly fuel tank. Using 5200 sealant to attach the rubber type material they supplied. Was told to cut the 2" W X 36" L strips in 4" lengths and space them every 10 to 12" along the bottom, V shaped side, and sides. When it's cured I will install the tank back in the boat and have a couple cross members rewelded back in over the tank which helps the strapping down portion. My question is then; The ground tab on the tank do I run a wire from there directly to the battery for proper ground. My fill cap is all plastic on the gunnel and is secured with four ss metal screws. Sorry for the long story.... But the help I get from the forum is super, again thanks and Happy New Year!!

IIRC 3M 5200 in direct contact with aluminum can cause corrosion. You should paint with self etching primer or primer for aluminum before applying the 3M 5200.

jbcurt00

Staff member
IIRC 3M 5200 in direct contact with aluminum can cause corrosion. You should paint with self etching primer or primer for aluminum before applying the 3M 5200.
Never heard that before. Are you thinking of silicone not being safe for aluminum, because it isnt.

3M 5200 has been used on hundreds of aluminum boats posted here, no reports of corrosion to the best of my knowledge.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
Yeah, sure hope that's wrong, ickstck, or I'm in some trouble. I've used 5200 with aluminum for many years without any issues -- bedding compound, for example, to prevent corrosion between dissimilar metals. I would use the 5200 like Matrix is describing, and think I would probably use it to waterproof the screw holes for the fill cap as well.

Last edited:

lckstckn2smknbrls

Lieutenant Junior Grade
On another site some evidence is showing pitting where the 5200 has been in direct contact with the aluminum and a coating of primer helps.

alldodge

Staff member
Not from Missouri but would sure like to see some actual results

jbcurt00

Staff member
Matrix,
This started as a topic about 2part foam, can you start a new topic about an aluminum tank install, w or w out 5200, or swing back to the topic about your rebuild:
http://forums.iboats.com/forum/boat...nd-hull-repair/10068480-aluminum-boat-project

It was the holidays when you asked about 2part foam there, so not a surprise about 24hrs later when you started.this topic, you hadnt gotten a reply in your rebuild topic.

Thanks

This WAS a 2part foam topic, lets head back that way.