1986 Lund Baron

Fiskpond

Cadet
Hello Guys, I am new to this forum. I have been reading a ton about different projects going on. I am about to purchase a 1986 Lund Baron that needs some serious attention. The boat has been sitting for at least 10 years uncovered.

To Duke;
I was wondering how your Baron turned out? Any new pics?
I like the Nautolex but I think I am going to back with carpet. Have you found any big pitfalls on your restoration that I should watch out for?

Thank you guys for all of the info you share on this forum.

I hope to get the boat home soon and start the clean up to see how bad it really is.

Good luck!

Fisk

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Welcome, Fisk. Moved this to a new thread out of the older thread you posted to originally. It's better off in a separate thread.

Tnstratofam

Commander
:welcome: Looking forward to seeing your project. You've come to the right place for boat restoration, and general boating info. This forum is full of great advice, and full of people who are happy to help you get your boat back on the water.

Fiskpond

Cadet
Thank you for the welcome! I will be bringing her home on Thursday! I am excited, but nervous about what I am getting into.

The last boat I had was a glass deck boat with an I/O. So this is my first tin boat and outboard. I have always wanted a Lund for their fishability. I hope I am making a wise investment. I am not scared of the work just the time and money it will take.

I also hope my son will be interested in helping me work out in the garage. Granted he is only 3, but you can't start them too young!

Thanks again, and I will post some pics this weekend.

Fiskpond

Cadet
Ok I am back, I decided to hold off on the resto until this winter. I was able to get the boat running and fishing. I have been having a lot of engine problems with the 200hp Mariner. I stopped pulling my hair out and put it away for a while and I am going to get back after the project. I have looked at the new Lund boats and I like the theme of the vinyl with removable carpet. Here are some pics of the starting canvas.

View attachment Boat .pdf
View attachment Boat 2.pdf

I will be bringing the boat in the garage after the holidays and I will send some more pics.

This is my first resto project and will rely a lot on the resto veterans on here for some guidance.

Thanks,

Fiskpond

jbcurt00

Staff member
You'll get more traffic if you post the pix IN your posts rather then as attachments. I like to use Photobucket pix
00O0O_7F1ewQJ3g61_600x450_zpse86102df.jpg

Good luck w the project, looks like it's about time for some rehab.

There is an outboard repair forum. Post your problems and questions about the poor running Mariner there:
http://forums.iboats.com/forum/engine-repair-and-maintenance/mercury-mariner-outboards

Fiskpond

Cadet
Thank you for the help, I am still trying to figure this forum out. I will try to get the picture situation changed. I am a bit computer challenged.

I will work on the resto this winter and next spring I will get back after the motor when I have time to take the boat to the lake for test hits.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
Fiskpond, it's hard to go wrong with any Lund hull. I'll follow along.

Fiskpond

Cadet
Boat%201_zpscik0dd9h.jpgBoat2_zpsb3d08f63.jpg

This is the starting canvas after it has been cleaned.
boat3_zps402b075b.jpg

I will put up some more pics later in the Resto.

Thanks for the help figuring out how to post pics.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Welcome back Fisk

If you want to just continue here, you can document the rebuild here. If you want to change the title, just let a Mod know, and we can change the title for you.

If you'd rather start a new topic, you can do that too, but it isnt really necessary.

Thanks

Have a good tear down and rebuild.

Good luck w your project

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
Yes, welcome back. Looks like a fine specimen you have there. Just take you time with the disassembly and watch how it's all put together. Save what you can for templates.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I agree with bonz_d. And take tons of picture now before you rip it apart. Pictures and measurements recorded, are going to be your best friend later on. JMHO!

Fiskpond

Cadet
Thanks, I have been taking a ton of pictures and a bunch of measurements. My next move is to remove all of the flotation foam. Any suggestions on whether to go with the higher density/ weight 2 part foam versus the standard 2 lb pour in foam? What is a good place to find the foam and epoxy resin? I will upload a few more pics in a couple of days. Thanks again.

Fiskpond

Cadet
Welcome back Fisk

If you want to just continue here, you can document the rebuild here. If you want to change the title, just let a Mod know, and we can change the title for you.

If you'd rather start a new topic, you can do that too, but it isnt really necessary.

Thanks

Have a good tear down and rebuild.

Good luck w your project

Jbcurt00; I am not sure how to start a new topic. I am still a newbie here and I am good with whatever. Thanks again.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
Starting a new topic would be just as easy as when you started this one. Just go to the forum page and hit the New Topic button. You can title it anything you want.

For the foam there is really no advantage of going to a heavier density foam in this because none of it would be used for structural support. The best price I've found for pour foam would be from a place named Mertons.com

Fiskpond

Cadet
P1300513_zpspwqlfyaj.jpg

The floor was in pretty bad shape.

Floor%201_zps3egavazh.jpgP1300514_zpsvumbntre.jpg

Lund poured the foam and then cut it down to lay the down the floor. They only used 7/16" plywood for the floor. I am not sure whether to go with 5/8" MG plywood or 3/4" for the new floor. Again any suggestions?

P1300515_zpszbfq8diw.jpg

There is definitely water in the foam.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
IMHO ext.Grade 1/2" plywood that's been Sealed really well is more than adequate for your decking material. Will you be using the 2-part foam again or cutting and fitting the slab foam??

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
What was the dimension of the original ply? The one I'd done a few years ago was 5/8" and that is what I replaced it with. Also is there a reason to be removing all the foam? Is it all wet? If not I would leave it alone.

Fiskpond

Cadet
What was the dimension of the original ply? The one I'd done a few years ago was 5/8" and that is what I replaced it with. Also is there a reason to be removing all the foam? Is it all wet? If not I would leave it alone.

The original wood was 7/16" - 1/2". The foam was wet in a couple of area's. And the boat had a significant amount of water in the bottom from being left out uncovered for many years. When I purchased the boat, the tongue jack of the trailer was sunk into the ground. When I lifted the tongue up, water drained out of the transom drain for a good 30 minutes. With that being said, I am guessing that the foam is not in good shape. Then again this is my first boat restoration and am looking for advice.

Thanks.