New build - See Our Sea Flea Fly!

Patfromny

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Last thing on this subject. My daughter is 13 also and a friend of mine who has a son the same age and I were having a similarIsh discussion the other day. He came up with something I hadn't heard in awhile that really hit home. He said, " I have a boy and all i have to do is worry about him, you have to worry about every boy. " :eek::facepalm::mad:

scoutabout

Lieutenant Commander
Last thing on this subject. My daughter is 13 also and a friend of mine who has a son the same age and I were having a similarIsh discussion the other day. He came up with something I hadn't heard in awhile that really hit home. He said, " I have a boy and all i have to do is worry about him, you have to worry about every boy. " :eek::facepalm::mad:

LOL - I've heard that one before...

A colleague of mine in the same boat as you says he's just going to make sure he's in the living room cleaning his hunting rifle in a pizza-stained undershirt when her first boyfriend comes home to meet the family for the first time...:laugh:

scoutabout

Lieutenant Commander
So...didn't get much done on the boat this weekend...although the consolation prize wasn't that bad. The boy and I headed up to my step-father's place in Georgian Bay, just under an hour's run out from Parry Sound.

Lots of RnR, including a quite cruise devoid of internal combustion...or assistance with the paddling!

image_24.jpeg

scoutabout

Lieutenant Commander
But tonight we were back at it, working at fitting up the ply for the outside of the transom.

Tracing and cutting to start...

image_16.jpeg

Note the ply does not get notched as the chines and stringers etc will butt up against the sheet.

image_17.jpeg

image_18.jpeg

Now...anyone see anything amiss.....aside from our possibly over-generous margin for cutting.....sigh....yes, dear iboaters, it's time for another Patented Scoutabout and Son :eek::facepalm::mad-new:...Goof up Alert!

(Actually the boy had nothing to do with it....It was all me and I'll save ya the treasure hunt....;))

You see, I think I have a touch of Dyslexia. My spouse will tell you I've got far bigger issues than that, but for now we'll discuss my latest numerically-challenged adventure. It seems that it presents itself most often during times of stress...like when I'm wandering a boat supply yard adding up all the dollars and cents my cart full of tree cuttins is going to cost me.

See, as I referenced before, I needed 1/4 ply for the decks and hull and 3/4 for the transom skin. Well, somewhere between the plans and the checkout that 3/4 transposed itself into 3/8s ply, which is what I bought....and what we cut out....

Anyway, the workaround here was to cut another skin identical to the first, which we will bond together to get us the requisite 3/4 inch thickness. Doh! Good thing the sheet was big enough for another go...

Hey....that ain't no 3/4 sheet!

image_20.jpeg

Here's the complete stack prior to bonding and fairing...

image_21.jpeg

So this is 1 3/4 total thickness here and once all is said and done the thickness at the motorboard will be a just over two inches due to the front plate of 3/8 too. Hopefully this is all going to be ok...

Some lessons in spatial efficiency might be in order too...not sure this was the best way to cut this expensive slab up...

image_22.jpeg

Modern art for the livingroom anyone!? Sheesh.

Last edited:

Willyclay

Captain
I read some of your previous posts and answered my question.

Last edited:

Patfromny

Lieutenant Junior Grade
LOL - I've heard that one before...

A colleague of mine in the same boat as you says he's just going to make sure he's in the living room cleaning his hunting rifle in a pizza-stained undershirt when her first boyfriend comes home to meet the family for the first time...:laugh:

Or sharpening a Bowie knife with the boys Snap chats or twitter/facebook/pinterest page on my Tablet. That could work too. Lol. I wI'll be wearing a tee shirt that says, "Guns don't kill people,I do!!!"

Sleeveless of course

Grandad

Lieutenant Commander
As I recall, in my MiniMost build, the bottom ply extended several inches beyond the transom as sort of a fixed trim tab, so I ran the chines through the transom skin to stiffen the tab. - Grandad

scoutabout

Lieutenant Commander
As I recall, in my MiniMost build, the bottom ply extended several inches beyond the transom as sort of a fixed trim tab, so I ran the chines through the transom skin to stiffen the tab. - Grandad

Brilliant suggestion. Think we'll do that too as the plans do still call for the extended bottom sheet.

pekstrom

Chief Petty Officer
Looking good! Y'all's cutting skills with that jigsaw are so much better than mine. I have quite a few goofs in my build but so far I have managed to fix them and move on. I like your solution for the transom thickness and can't imagine that it will cause any problems. I did something similar on mine to make it a bit thicker than the plans called for. I don't recall exactly how thick it ended up being but it is something like 1/2" more than the plans called for.

So how much do you have left on the transom and what comes after that?

scoutabout

Lieutenant Commander
Hey P - thanks for checking in and the compliments. Yep, after the fact patch-ups seem to be the name of the game. As for the jig saw the kid is certainly a pro.

Funny - any straight line longer than three inches and we have an argument because I want to use the circular or table saw but he insists he can cut it arrow straight with the jig. Usually he's right!

scoutabout

Lieutenant Commander
As for remaining transom work - get the two sheets on the back, screw everything together, bolt the knee on, figure out that angle issue with the notches, then....um.....I forget. Been awhile since I consulted the plans....๐Ÿค”๐Ÿ˜€

I think probably build the mid frames so we can start running stringers n chines. (These were actually first on the official agenda but I was too chicken to start with them. ๐Ÿ”๐Ÿฃ๐Ÿ”

Last edited:

scoutabout

Lieutenant Commander
A quick update while scarfing some lunch at my desk on some recent evening work...

Getting the aforementioned two layers of 3/8 marine ply on the back of the transom frame seemed a likely next step. We knew from early on the top edge of our motor board was a wee bit wonky so step one was to set up the table saw and skim a little off. Need to smooth a couple blade marks but it's now much more square than it was.

image_32.jpeg

With that taken care of it was time to slap on some glue...

image_30.jpeg

Set the skin on, then clamps, clamps....clamps!

image_28.jpeg

and more clamps....

image_27.jpeg

...think I counted 35
including the work table...

Once cured, clamps came off and we started farting around with the angle issue again, trying to determine the best way to square up those notches...jury is still out on whether to whittle away on the stringers a bit or level the transom cutouts...still have to glue up the final outside panel...

And, you know...this chunk of boat structure is starting to get heavy...like it might actually be part of a real live boat someday! Holding up a motor n everything!

image_34.jpeg

And here's another little interesting side excursion. I wouldn't call it a mistake exactly but rather "unresolved indecision" LOL.

What happened was the first transom skin went only as high as the top of the rear gunwale. The motor board sticks up a couple more inches because the plans offer both a short and regular shaft version depending on the engine to be used. I wasn't sure which level was best and went with the shorter think we'd be using a metal cover anyway.

Of course Murphy declared we had the longer of the two shaft lengths on that 56 Johnson so it seemed in hind sight both skins should go to the highest edge.

This would leave a 3/8 gap at the top between the last skin and the motor board if left as is, so we decided to fill it before gluing up the last skin.

The problem was the first skin was only rough cut to shape on the jig in that area and got glued that way so the edge was not straight enough to measure propery.

Anyway, we came upon the brillinat solution to clamp some paper in the gap and trace the uneven edge. My son will then transfer this carefully recreated wonky line to a fresh sheet of ply then use his awesome jig skills to cut an identical uneven edge. The two edges should mirror each other and will allow the closest possible meet up of those pieces for gluing....

Aren't you glad you asked?...cuz that's 30 seconds of your lives you will never get back!....:sleeping:

image_35.jpeg

Last edited:

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
You can use epoxy thickened with Fine Wood powder to use as a filler. Get the Saw dust powder from your R/O sander collection bag and mix enuf to make it like Mayonaise. Sand the area to be filled and wash down with Acetone prior to filling.

scoutabout

Lieutenant Commander
You can use epoxy thickened with Fine Wood powder to use as a filler. Get the Saw dust powder from your R/O sander collection bag and mix enuf to make it like Mayonaise. Sand the area to be filled and wash down with Acetone prior to filling.

Thanks Wood! Hadn't thought of that approach. Did briefly consider SeaCast but probably overkill. Just wanna an excuse to try it! ๐Ÿ˜›

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Due to the nature of Seacast I don't think it would be a good candidate for a filler material.

scoutabout

Lieutenant Commander
Yeah - plus just way too little an area to becworth the purchase, set up, etc.

So....we ended up doing a combo of cutting a plug and squeezing in some Wood Dust Mayo.

And just cuz you haven't seen a glue n clamp pic on this build in the last twenty minutes...
image_36.jpeg

scoutabout

Lieutenant Commander
Ok - couple more inches forward. With the inner transom skin glued up and the filler slice dry, we rasped down the drippins n oozins to get a reasonably flat surface.

image_37.jpeg

Then a dollop (or two!) of glue...

image_38.jpeg

...and the inevitable clamp fest.

( I should note that all of these glued up structures will get stainless screws for good holding measure...)

image_39.jpeg

jkust

Rear Admiral
Wow...never saw this thread before. I build one of these with my dad in the mid 80's when I was an early teen. I had an 18 HP Evinrude on it that I bought myself. Had some great times on it along with some near death experiences with my friends. One time I turned too sharp and I fell out into the lake and it was left by itself turning circles around me....my dad had to come with his boat and time the circles, jump into the water and catch the boat without getting hit by the prop to kill the engine. Still have the engine but my folks didn't like the boat sitting around their lake place when I moved out and they used it as firewood. I actually recently found the original plans we had used in a box of old junk.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
This^^ is a very good safety point. ALL boats like this, should have an Auto Kill switch wired so if the operator falls off the motor stops!!!!:nod: