1980 Sportcraft 20' Walkaround (same as GW ON'er)

yamhoss86

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hello everyone,
So I'm trying to rebuild the transom and stringers on my Sportcraft.
My questions is about the stringers, can i just scoop out the stringer core and leave the skin and fill it with PB? Thanks in advance.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Uhmmm, I wouldn't!!! The stringers are the "BackBone" of the hull and require a lot more structural integrity than what you're proposing. I'd recommend more research on the proper restoration of a boat to gain a better understanding of the proper procedures. This might be a good start...Fabricating Decks, Stringers, and Transoms

Last edited:

yamhoss86

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Uhmmm, I wouldn't!!! The stringers are the "BackBone" of the hull and require a lot more structural integrity than what you're proposing. I'd recommend more research on the proper restoration of a boat to gain a better understanding of the proper procedures. This might be a good start...Fabricating Decks, Stringers, and Transoms

Thanks for the info. I would def reinforce the outer skin, if that's what you mean.
I did take a look at the diagram you have made, its really informative.
My question is that what does the "brown" (Core) material have to be?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
What was it originally? Most mfg's use wood since it's plentiful, easy to use and strong. Some have used foam, aluminum, Cardboard etc.. You can use just about anything but... depending on what you use, will determine what and how you build the glass enclosure. The glass IS what gives the strength and the structural integrity to the hull. The "Core Material" is basically just the Form for the glass. It can and does ad some structure to the mix but if enough resin and glass is applied the core material really becomes insignificant. If the existing "Skins" are very thick, really well attached to the hull and could be classified as self supporting then I suppose you could leave then hollow and just cap em off and be done with it, but I seriously doubt this is the case. Post up some pics of what you're working on and I'm certain, we'll be able to guide you to the proper solution.;)

yamhoss86

Petty Officer 2nd Class
What was it originally? Most mfg's use wood since it's plentiful, easy to use and strong. Some have used foam, aluminum, Cardboard etc.. You can use just about anything but... depending on what you use, will determine what and how you build the glass enclosure. The glass IS what gives the strength and the structural integrity to the hull. The "Core Material" is basically just the Form for the glass. It can and does ad some structure to the mix but if enough resin and glass is applied the core material really becomes insignificant. If the existing "Skins" are very thick, really well attached to the hull and could be classified as self supporting then I suppose you could leave then hollow and just cap em off and be done with it, but I seriously doubt this is the case. Post up some pics of what you're working on and I'm certain, we'll be able to guide you to the proper solution.;)

Ok, thanks for the update.
Will post pics as soon as i am able.

yamhoss86

Petty Officer 2nd Class
20' Walkaround Stringer Rebuild Question

Hello all, maybe this is a stupid question.
If i want to replace all the stringers on the boat, so i have to remove the cabin section of the walk around?
Am i able to replace the stringer just by removing the floor up to the cabin section?
Thanks all for any feedback.

jbcurt00

Staff member
I suspect you mean you HAVE/NEED to replace the stringers, for whatever reason (I suspect water damage). So depending on how your boat was built, how the stringers transition under the cabin, and whether they also NEED to be replaced will answer your question.

What year, make and model walkaround?

Found your original topic about this boat and stringers.

Merged the 2

No need to start a new topic about essentially the same subject.

Still need some pix of what your working on

Last edited:

yamhoss86

Petty Officer 2nd Class
No Title

Thanks for the reply.
They def need to be replaced.
I was replacing my gas tank and the side of the hatch that my gas tank goes in was flimsy, so i decided to take a look.
Found a bunch of "Soil" in a hold i drilled.
The year is 1980, make is Sportcraft and not sure about about the model, its identical yo a GW overnighter.

I dont have any pics of the original boat, but the pic that i provided is the identical layout. I wanted to grind grind out the edges, put in new stringer and cover it with the same floor.

I dont have any equipment to lift the cabin out, was wondering if i could grind out the edges of the floor all around until i reach the cabin and get to the stringers that way.
Thanks.

Attachments

• photo240164.jpg
    photo240164.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 0

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
The other half is rotted too....take my word for it. Mine is a 83' Sportcraft 222 cuddy walkaround.
Kinda like this;

Time for you to start posting some pics.
KC

Last edited:

yamhoss86

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The other half is rotted too....take my word for it. Mine is a 83' Sportcraft 222 cuddy walkaround.
Kinda like this;

Time for you to start posting some pics.
KC

Thanks for the feedback.
My preference is to cut out the floor, similar to how you have it.
I will start the project in another week, so no pics until then.

My question is, will i be able to replace the stringers without removing the cabin?

Last edited:

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Yes you can but be prepared to learn YOGA! lol. I did it that way and the aches ohhh the aches.

To remove my cap I think was not approriate at the time. But would have made life and rehab a whole lot faster.

yamhoss86

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Everything's going well, just found a place to start the project. Started removing all outboard. Will post pics as soon as I can.

yamhoss86

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Update: Nothing major, just went to the boat again today and took a few pics. I just recently got a 95' Proline 211 walkaround. It had a Merc 4.3 an I/O. I've been busy trying to find an engine for it. Went to get some stuff from the Sportcraft, please see the pics below. I plan to cut where the blue lines are marked to get access to the transom and the green lines to get access to the stringers. Hopefully I'll be able to start on the Sportcraft as soon as i drop the Proline in the water, Which should be in a few weeks. Please do let me know if i should start cutting differently. Thanks.

Attachments

• rsz_img_5369.jpg
    rsz_img_5369.jpg
    187.2 KB · Views: 0

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
That is a perfect cut out. It will allow you to basically pull straight up. There will be other hinderances like what other areas the cap and how it is secured/glued to the underside. If you make any additional cuts SAVE all the glass/decking to puzzle back in at the end.

That top is heavy just so you know. Have fun!! Looking forward to your progress.
KC