year and model

murphn8r

Seaman
looking at trading some stuff for this boat. the guy said its a winner marlin but i cant find that model at all. was hoping someone could tell me for sure also what year it may be and actual model? yes i know its not the best pic but the best i can do right now20220630_125746.jpg

Last edited:

southkogs

Staff member
Can't tell you the exact year: but Winner Marlin fits. Take a look HERE.

His paperwork should have the year on it, and anything prior to 1970 is reasonable. Looks like a late 60s model.

Welcome aboard.

murphn8r

Seaman
Can't tell you the exact year: but Winner Marlin fits. Take a look HERE.

His paperwork should have the year on it, and anything prior to 1970 is reasonable. Looks like a late 60s model.

Welcome aboard.
Unfortunately he doesn't have much paperwork at all. Just says it runs and floats and the trailer and tires are good. I'll definitely look through that. I did some searching at work and couldn't find much except for whatever is on this forum matching my searches. Thank you for the info.

southkogs

Staff member
Make sure he's got at least enough paperwork for you to transfer the ownership and register the boat. A surprising amount of people get caught in that kind of trap.

murphn8r

Seaman
Make sure he's got at least enough paperwork for you to transfer the ownership and register the boat. A surprising amount of people get caught in that kind of trap.
What kind of paper work should I look for or need?

southkogs

Staff member
What kind of paper work should I look for or need?
That depends on your state. In Tennessee, a valid bill of sale would suffice, but the bill of sale would have to identify the boat by year, make and HIN. I'm not sure what Utah requires. Where I grew up, you would have to have a title properly executed for the secretary of state (again, which would identify the year, make and HIN). - - Whatever paperwork the current owner has, that proves they are the owner and can legitimately sell the asset, should identify the year and make at least.

southkogs

Staff member
@southhow hard do you think this would be to fix?View attachment 364447
Depends more on what's going on on the inside. The fiberglass part of that looks pretty simple (but there are others that know LOTS more about it than I do). But there should be structure behind that which may need attention too. Dunno' how hard it is to access it in that boat.

From photos, that boat looks like it's in relatively nice shape. But with that bow eye like it is, it's also possible that the boat has taken on water quite a bit and the stringers are in trouble. You're going to want to look at that carefully.

murphn8r

Seaman
Depends more on what's going on on the inside. The fiberglass part of that looks pretty simple (but there are others that know LOTS more about it than I do). But there should be structure behind that which may need attention too. Dunno' how hard it is to access it in that boat.

From photos, that boat looks like it's in relatively nice shape. But with that bow eye like it is, it's also possible that the boat has taken on water quite a bit and the stringers are in trouble. You're going to want to look at that carefully.
Good point on the stringers. This is gonna be my first fixer uper. I have had boats before. i just dont want it to be a major project. I am pretty handy and mechanical inclined so small things arent to bad. The boat is a little bit of a drive from me so im trying to get as much info from the guy but he takes forever to respond.

murphn8r

Seaman
That depends on your state. In Tennessee, a valid bill of sale would suffice, but the bill of sale would have to identify the boat by year, make and HIN. I'm not sure what Utah requires. Where I grew up, you would have to have a title properly executed for the secretary of state (again, which would identify the year, make and HIN). - - Whatever paperwork the current owner has, that proves they are the owner and can legitimately sell the asset, should identify the year and make at least.
was looking it up and with how old it is i just need a bill of sale. but im going to call the dmv today to get more info. website kinda sucks lol