Yamaha 9.9 lower unit help (shift shaft)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DevinM

Cadet
F9.9SJ
669 S 001497
Picked this up yesterday. Dude was sure to mention I need to drop lower unit.
When I removed the lower unit the shift shaft that goes into the foot popped out.
My main two questions about my situation is when putting it back in, do I have to pass the ‘forward’ position to get the foot in neutral and the shaft seated? Trying it a bit last night is seemed like it would not go past the first spot where I found a gear.
Next is about the little plastic piece (682-44176-00-00 )that was found just sitting on top of the shift rod boot. It looks like some sort of retainer that would keep the seal air tight. Has a slot and screw that it must slide into something. Only place it fits is resting on top(picture of where it fits attached). I wish I could be more clear.
When this is assembled, I should be able to pull the shift shaft up for forward and all the way down for reverse right? This is my first Yamaha after a good few 2 stroke Johnson’s.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 7
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 6
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 5
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 4
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 6

DevinM

Cadet
I got the shifting feeling okay with the shift rod in. I am wondering about that plastic piece though. Does that help hold the seal at the bottom of the shift rod boot? And help the rod stay in when removing the lower unit? It’s #8 on the picture

Attachments

• 1C926324-0138-4DCC-93CD-A22FD62D1CA6.png
    1C926324-0138-4DCC-93CD-A22FD62D1CA6.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 8

Rk13

Recruit
I know this thread is old but did you have to take the gears or propshaft out to get the shift cam back in? Mines out and when i push it down it feels like it never touches the push rod on the end of the prop shaft.

boscoe99

Lieutenant Commander
I know this thread is old but did you have to take the gears or propshaft out to get the shift cam back in? Mines out and when i push it down it feels like it never touches the push rod on the end of the prop shaft.
If the shift cam is removed without the lower unit having been dismantled a spring loaded pin normally moves forward preventing the cam from being reinstalled.

Status
Not open for further replies.