Yamaha 704 binnacle remote question

maineiac5586

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Anyone know why the 704 remote doesn't have a safety lockout like the 703 where you have to squeeze the button to shift out of neutral? Not talking about throttle only just regular shift and go. Seems dangerous in that if the motor is running and you accidentally bump into the shift lever the boat takes off. Kinda weird to me

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
stop drinking while on the boat, maybe that will keep you from bumping into it

boscoe99

Lieutenant Commander
The 704 can be had with the lock button for those that need it.

boscoe99

Lieutenant Commander
But just bumping a conventional 704 control box into gear is not going to make the boat take off. It will slowly start moving.

maineiac5586

I'm just being safety conscious. It's never happened. I was just wondering why there is no lock on it.

dubs283

Vice Admiral
I was just wondering why there is no lock on it.

Would imagine cost difference between the two and manufacturers design/layout concerning safety features may not warrant a release on the control. They have less chance of accidental engagement as compared to side/panel mount controls

Yamaha isn't the only manufacturer to produce a single lever dual action binnacle mount control either. Quite common these days considering dts and jpo becoming standard on bigger boats

boscoe99

Lieutenant Commander
My guess would be that the majority of users don't want to have to engage a button before the motor can be shifted into gear.

In a panic situation (say the boat is about to be run over) where the boat needs to be shifted and throttled up quickly, I can see someone forgetting to press the unlock button. They will be pushing on the throttle/shift handle wondering why nothing is happening.

Cars and trucks today have too many safety functions today for my taste.

maineiac5586

My guess would be that the majority of users don't want to have to engage a button before the motor can be shifted into gear.

In a panic situation (say the boat is about to be run over) where the boat needs to be shifted and throttled up quickly, I can see someone forgetting to press the unlock button. They will be pushing on the throttle/shift handle wondering why nothing is happening.

Cars and trucks today have too many safety functions today for my taste.
Ok. Just very important to shut the engine off anytime you move away from the captains seat to minimize someone bumping the control.