Would like information on a 1995 Mariah

dhawk52

Cadet
I am buying a 1995 Mariah 192 Barchetta with a 180 I/O. I would like to know if anyone has knowledge about this particular model (i.e. any problems, concerns, estimate of max speed, cruising speed, pulling skier's or any other useful information). Thank you in advance for any help.

quantumleap

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: Would like information on a 1995 Mariah

That year was made before the company sold out. They were a very reputable brand then.

Swishguy

Seaman Apprentice

I had a 96 190 shabah with the 4.3 mercruiser. I could get 48 mph on gps. There is not another boat out there as well made as those year Mariahs!!!

Tufan

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have a 23 Mariah CC - 94 with 5.0 Merc I/O in it, with some modifications, SS prop and add-on trim tabs, I get appr. 50 knots with very good handling. Unless it's really rough - but than you dont want to speed on high seas anyway!<br /><br />We water ski with it, I pull a little banana raft sometimes to entertain the kids - no problem. My V8 engine of course a bit heavy on gas consumption but which boat is not?<br /><br />These are very reputable, sturdy boats. Mine is running great, I really like it. Company was sold out in 95 as Quantumleap says but they are back in business now with new partnership, you can check their web site for tech info :<br /> http://www.mariah-boats.com/ <br /><br />I found only one problem (design flow) with mine, on the side of the engine (where starter is located) there is no coverage/protection from water. (inside, floor-cleaning water that is) when you wash down the boat, water from the floor leaks on top of the starter between the floor and engine cover. So every couple of month I had to re-built or replace the starter. A few of them later I solved the prolem by just putting a little side panel (3" by 13 ", about 1/3 inch thick plexiglass piece) to the floor behind the engine cover...<br /> <br />Now maybe originally the piece was there and removed for some reason.. I never know!<br /><br />What would you like to know?

Peter1959628

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Very happy with my 94 z202 shabah 4.3l merc alpha 1<br />nice build and many extras as standard<br />put tabs on to straighten out chinewalk/steering problem.<br />Makes a nice boat even better.<br />no problem with skiers even before tabs.<br />I am certain that you will be very happy with your purchase if its been looked after.<br />Let us know!

tburkland

Recruit

I just bought a 1995 Mariah Z220 Talari this past summer and the more I read about the Mariah the more I am impressed. I am an aircraft mechanic an very critical and paticular on how things are built and I can honestly say this is a very well built boat. I have not done much research on the new Mariah boats , but I am told they are not near the quality of the early 90's boats. I was also told by a former dealer that Mariah used Gortex thread to sew the seats together, which would explain how beutiful the seats still look after thirteen years. Don't know to much about your particular model, but I can bet it is a fine machine. I do have all of the paper work with mine and I think I may have some literature on that model you are interested in.

180shabah

Rear Admiral

OK, a quick history here. Mariah Boats Inc. started manufacturing in 1990 and unlike most new companies they did not try to compete with the entry level manufacturers. They aimed at the high end builders like Cobalt. They used the best materials and thier fit and finish was very good, but not perfect(although still better than most). They struggled in this segment of the market, not having any reputation to back up thier quality and price. 11 years later in 2001(not 1995) Mariah Boats Inc. closed thier doors and sold hull molds etc to Sea Fox. There were no 2002 Mariah's. In 2003 the new Mariah Boat Co. started selling the new models. Park an '01 next to an '03 and the differences are quite obvious. Not trying to knock the new Mariah's, but they simply are not in the same class as the originals.

You will also find that the majority of complaints about the early Mariah's concern design issues and not quality or materials. Above it was mentioned that a shield was needed to protect the starter from water, on my 1996 180 Shabah, the bilge vents were installed under the trailing edge of the sunpad. Great for aesthetics, but if I am not careful when coming off plane they serve as funnels and dump 2-3 gallons of water ontop of the engine. I am adding trim tabs this winter, so next year it will probably not be an issue, but.....

Last, this is a 13 year old boat you are looking at, at this point, it's condition and thus value will be more dependent on the care and maintanence it recieved. A survey could be worth the money, or at least have it looked over really good by an impartial third party.

180shabah

Rear Admiral

One more thing.
I am buying a 1995 Mariah 192 Barchetta with a 180 I/O.

180 hp, I am assuming this is a 4.3(4bbl) in front of a Volvo Penta. Which drive?

MariahMan

Cadet

dhawk52, you won't be sorry in purchasing that Barchetta. While the original Mariah corporation is out of business, making it difficult to find specific OEM parts, you will have no issues finding parts for the engine as both MerCruiser and Volvo still support these motors. Everything else is pretty much cosmetic.

I agree with 180shabah, you should definitely have the boat surveyed to ensure there is no hull damage that could come back to get you. If there was significant damage to the hull at some point and the damage was not properly fixed, you could have spots of rotted fiberglass that have been covered up