Wood floor covering options

Croge

Seaman Apprentice
Ok so I am at the point to cover the floors in my Islander. I have used 3/4 marine ply and am wondering if I should epoxy first then paint with epoxy paint or if that is overkill and just painting with epoxy paint would work? I know nothing will last forever but I am just looking to see if anyone has any experience with how long their floors have held up with either method. If painting I probably would not cover with vinyl or carpet so it would dry it out but if I used epoxy I would probably cover with something. Thoughts?
I also plan on coating the cabin walls with epoxy because I have some left over from my transom and I do not want to take those walls apart anytime soon.

Attachments

• 792F6A7D-FE25-48DD-9DA4-AB007DC46F90.jpeg
    792F6A7D-FE25-48DD-9DA4-AB007DC46F90.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 15

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
The key is proper care of the boat keeping the elements away from all your hard work and investment. No matter what you do to seal wood if left to the ravages of the elements nothing will stand up for long. SC didn't seal any of the wood at the factory and most times held up for decades. Anything you do to prolong the woods life is good.

Croge

Seaman Apprentice
The key is proper care of the boat keeping the elements away from all your hard work and investment. No matter what you do to seal wood if left to the ravages of the elements nothing will stand up for long. SC didn't seal any of the wood at the factory and most times held up for decades. Anything you do to prolong the woods life is good.
Thanks yeah I will have it under a cover when not in use so that should really help the life span.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
I sealed mine with spar varnish, then vinyl over the top.
Have some exposed wood on my boat, and that was just double coated with spar varnish.
Has held up very well for 8 years.