Wood fillers for pontoon decking

1960 Starflite

Petty Officer 1st Class
I've removed the very worn carpet from my pontoon boat. I'd like to fill some voids in the 3/4 plywood before replacing with vinyl flooring. Can anyone point me to a product and/or article that would be helpful? Thanks

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
you can use anything to fill the voids.

a fairing compound (or if you really want, bondo)
sawdust and glue (I would use tite-bond III)

1960 Starflite

Petty Officer 1st Class
I've removed the very worn carpet from my pontoon boat. I'd like to fill some voids in the 3/4 plywood before replacing with vinyl flooring. Can anyone point me to a product and/or article that would be helpful? Thanks
I posted also in "Pontoon" forum, feel free to remove one

alldodge

Staff member
Suggest Marine-Tex or JB Weld, either will work
As with all patching and painting, prep is the most critical part

Could also use epoxy resin

1960 Starflite

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks for replies. I'll get started if the rains in central Ohio would let up a few days, working outside šŸ˜Ÿ

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
ACE Hardware carries a less expensive (but very good) product similar to MarineTex. It's called PC-11 and it's a thick, two part epoxy. It would be ideal for what you describe.

Lectro88

Petty Officer 1st Class
I posted also in "Pontoon" forum, feel free to remove one

Hello Brother...

PC-11 is good stuff, Been years since I used any. its pretty much like JB weld.

Another thing That I'm doing right now and have done in the past for other areas, with good results.
I use my collected saw dust and sandings and mix with epoxy. some call this wood flour.
(Some approve of it others don't)
It strengthens or gives the epoxy some body and reinforcement, also makes it go further when filling in voids.
I don't mix so much flour in that its "dry" I like for there to be plenty of resin to saturate the wood particles, that way water "shouldn't" be able to rot the wood you just added.
But you will notice flour "wood" tends to thicken the resin too. so you can skip the fumed silica if you so desire.
You can throw some scrap fiberglass leftovers if you keep scraps and chop them up fine or add milled fibers and that REALLY strengthens things up.

Some good advise I got from here is if its rained,,, like it has with me lately...
Give the plywood some time to bake in the sun.
I set aside 3 days to be sure everything was dried real good.

Last edited:

1960 Starflite

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hello Brother...

PC-11 is good stuff, Been years since I used any. its pretty much like JB weld.

Another thing That I'm doing right now and have done in the past for other areas, with good results.
I use my collected saw dust and sandings and mix with epoxy. some call this wood flour.
(Some approve of it others don't)
It strengthens or gives the epoxy some body and reinforcement, also makes it go further when filling in voids.
I don't mix so much flour in that its "dry" I like for there to be plenty of resin to saturate the wood particles, that way water "shouldn't" be able to rot the wood you just added.
But you will notice flour "wood" tends to thicken the resin too. so you can skip the fumed silica if you so desire.
You can throw some scrap fiberglass leftovers if you keep scraps and chop them up fine or add milled fibers and that REALLY strengthens things up.

Some good advise I got from here is if its rained,,, like it has with me lately...
Give the plywood some time to bake in the sun.
I set aside 3 days to be sure everything was dried real good.
Thank you Brother, #76 Ohio