Wiring a 1999 Mariah 4.3 V6 Mercruiser

borz170

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have recently purchased a 1999 Mariah with a 4.3 V6. The boat was sunk in salt water and I am in the process of rewiring the whole boat. It would be great if someone could direct me to a wiring schematic that is specific to this boat. It is an 18' boat. I have been looking on ebay for new wiring harnesses, and there are so many different ones to chose from. There seems to be a harness that goes from the engine to the control panel, then the wires turn around ang go back to the engine. There is a seperate wiring harness for the engine and engine components. I am very confused as to what harness I should buy. Any help from someone who has been where I am right now would be great.

Mike

180shabah

Rear Admiral
Re: Wiring a 1999 Mariah 4.3 V6 Mercruiser

Wiring harnesses are fairly generic from boat ot boat(even from one manufacturer to another) You are correct about there being two primary harnesses, the boat harness and the engine harness. They join together at an engine mounted 10-pin cannon plug that is also universal accross manufacturers.

For schematics, get a Factory service manual(not seloc or clymers) off of ebay. As for which harness you need, I don't know.

The engine harness is just that, all engine components(alternator, starter, ignition, sending units, etc..) run to the 10-pin plug.

The boat harness starts at the 10-pin plug and runs to dash gauges and key switch. This harness also includes the rest of the boat systems, lights, blower, bilge pump, trim/tilt, stereo, etc...

180shabah

Rear Admiral

One more thing, you should probably post in the restoration forum, there are guys over there who have done this sort of thing several times over the years.

borz170

Petty Officer 2nd Class

thanks, good advise.