Wine drinkers?

sangerwaker

Commander
jtexas made a comment regarding wine in the Aussie thread. Got me thinking. Any other wine drinkers out there? Please list some of your favorites. Maybe we all can have some new varieties to try. I'm always leary to try new wines. I've had a couple of nasty experiences.<br /><br />Here are mine.<br /><br />For normal drinking we really like the Ravenswood Vinters Blends, and the Blackstone brand. Both around $10 bucks here. The Ravenswood Cabernet and the Blackstone merlot are both excellent IMO.<br /><br />For special occasions, I really like the Robert Mondavi or Frei Brothers brands. Kinda spendy, but VERY tasty.<br /><br />I also like Aussie wines. The Yellow Tail brand is a great value, IMO, as is Hanwood brand. All varieties of both are quite good. For a higher end I like Wolf Blass.<br /><br />Anyone else care to put up some stuff to try?

bootle

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Wine drinkers?

I like Kendall Jackson cabernet, Clos Dubois merlot, and Black opal merlot :)

sangerwaker

Commander

I really think the KJ is over-priced for what you get. JMHO. If you like it, try the Mondavi cabernet, only a couple more bucks a bottle, but WAAAAAY better IMO. The Black Opal isn't bad for the $$ either. Been a while since I've had some of that. Thanks for the reminder.

Kiwi Phil

Commander

Nope, not me.<br />The good wife buys her "good" Chardoney by the case (because she can get a 20c per litre discount of petrol, 150L max per time) so I am not complaining.<br />Cheers<br />Phillip

sangerwaker

Commander

Of course it does, Kenneth. Everyone's opinion can be different. That's what makes this country great!

rolmops

Vice Admiral

OK so here is mr. spoiled rotten.<br />For semi dry I love a good Australian or French Semillon blanc. For a light white, few things beat a good Burgundy chablis.Chilean cabernet blanc and rouge are cheap and good.Chilean merlot is very nice.In my opinion almost every chilean wine deserves honors.You can start with a santa Rita. Sauvignon blush or blanc can be Australian,South African or french.The New York State Fingerlakes wines have vastly improved in the last decade and I love fishing in Keuka lake, going to the winery dock, buy a nice bottle and take it to the middle of the lake to enjoy the sunset.A nice dessert wine is Muscatel.It is a very different taste from most other wines.Just be careful to buy a recent vintage.It does not age well and older than 3 years is no good.<br />Californian wines?? My palate was shaped in Northern Europe, not Italy.

bootle

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Yea, i like some of the Aussie wines like Lindemans cabernet Bin 40 and Jacobs creek shiraz.<br />BTW, Clos dubois also makes a good pinot noir.

brother chris

Commander

I like red, much better than white.<br />My fav is a Cabernet/Merlot, from B.C. wineries. Although, California produces some good wines too. <br />My fav white, is White Zinfendal. <br /><br />Overseas....that is different. Many a country makes a good wine.

QC

Supreme Mariner

Agree on Australian and Chilean. Had an outstanding Shiraz the other day, Cookoothama. I don't think it was too expensive, but I got it by the glass. In honor of Dunaruna I tried some Yarra Burn Chardonnay from the Yarra Valley and it was very nice. Don't have any South African experience.<br /><br />Frei Brothers has a lower cost sibling called Redwood Creek, the Merlot, Cab and Chardonnay are very good. Agree on the Blackstone.<br /><br />Some Mondavi Cab's are outstanding. For a special occasion if your lady friend likes Chardonnays go with a Cakebread. Has made believers out of even non-wine drinkers.<br /><br />You guys can KMA as far as California is concerned . . . ;) (edit: after rereading, the only swipe was by rolmops. Rock on. I am used to a Brit friend calling it "barbecue wine".)

magster65

Commander

I guess I have 'cheap' taste. I really like the taste of 'Wine Kitz' traditional vintage Piesporter. Yes, it's a home-brew. I let it bulk age for a few months before it gets bottled (that's the key). There are better wines, and lots of them, but they don't warrant the price in my opinion.

Pony

Rear Admiral

my favorite is homemade grape; apple-grape; cranberry grape........all from the grapevine in my backyard.<br /><br />
fallfishin0253ge.jpg

treedancer

Commander

we have several local wineries in the area I think this one is the best. www.PeacefulBend.com<br /> <br /><br />Bottle O' Barrel Fermented Chardonel <br /><br />$11.89/ bottle<br />Case Price<br /> 2002 Barrel Fermented Chardonel<br />Ultra Premium Dry White $13

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Not a very sophisticated wino here.<br /><br />Most any California or NY burgundy with simple beef meals, Aussie merlot when I am in a more festive mood and a Medoc red with celebrations.<br /><br />Blue Nun with fish or fowl. Also goes well with sashimi.<br /><br />About any Chianti with pizza or pasta.

LadyFish

Admiral

I agree with Vlad on the Kendall Jackson cabernet wholeheartedly.

Skiuseme

Chief Petty Officer

I prefer to have a good fullbodied Cabernetand my favorite is. 14 Hands<br /><br />My wifes Favortie is a reisling From columbia Winerie

SwampNut

Petty Officer 1st Class

J. Lohr reds are very impressive. We don't like Cabernet at all, but the Merlot is fantastic.<br /><br />Sangre De Toro is a great Spanish red.

Pony

Rear Admiral

For those of you near Wisconsin......there is a decent vineyard out towards Madison. My favorite from there is something they call "Big Red".