Windows license to expire?

64osby

Admiral
My Hp G56 has a screen that pops up stating that the windows license will expire soon. I went to settings and entered in the product key on the back but it was not accepted. Thinking this is due to an upgrade to windows 8.1 at some point prior to my ownership.

Is there a work around for this?

Will upgrading to 10 bypass this issue?

Will the computer stop working if the correct product key is not entered before the date listed?

It is moments like this where my technophobia gets the better of me.:faint2::facepalm:

jbcurt00

Staff member
Any chance that the computer has the enterprise version of Windows installed? Business or corporate license might expire if the product is not being used at or by business that owns corporate license.

I worked somewhere that used a corp licensed product key supplied by their IT guy. He worked in Florida, was related to our boss, and we werent in Florida. After a Win8 auto update, all computers using that product got a similar message.

IMO, Microsoft scanned our systems, determined they werent in 'network' w the licensee, as such blocked all future updates and reduced some functionality on our computers.

My computer dropped my screensaver and desktop background image. Beyond the no future updates and NOT licensed MS software messages, I dont remember any other problems continuing to use it.

southkogs

Staff member
Osby, is that popping up on your monitor like a window or is it showing up in the tray at the bottom right? I'm wondering if you may not be getting a spam / virus message.

NYBo

Admiral
The license number on the back of the computer won't be valid for a different version of Windows. In the system properties window, does it indicate that Windows is activated?

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
You can actually call Microsoft and figure out what is going on with it, they maintain a large division that is devoted to this type of stuff. They can figure out exactly what you have and offer a solution to make it a legal copy. You would not be able to upgrade to 10 as this copy is not a legally owned copy. The next best thing is to purchase a copy of Windows 8.1 and run the install to upgrade and update to a legal copy.

thumpar

Admiral
As long as you have a legit key you will be fine but you may have to reload the system.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
There are situations that even having a legit Key will not solve the situation, I have seen it happen to people I was working on their computer they have an enterprise set up outside of the enterprise, the key was legit, but not for the type of use they were doing because they were no longer under the umbrella of the enterprise.

thumpar

Admiral
There are situations that even having a legit Key will not solve the situation, I have seen it happen to people I was working on their computer they have an enterprise set up outside of the enterprise, the key was legit, but not for the type of use they were doing because they were no longer under the umbrella of the enterprise.
I meant the key that is on the computer. It may take a reload of the the correct version though.

oldjeep

Admiral
Could also be an MSDN copy, which expires when the original subscription expires.

thumpar

Admiral
I have an MSDN copy of Win 8 on a desktop. The subscription expired more than a year ago and there has never been a warning.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
If I remember right, there are close to a thousand different types of licenses that Microsoft issued, it could be any of those, which is why I suggested calling their support line concerning legal copies of Windows.

thumpar

Admiral
If I remember right, there are close to a thousand different types of licenses that Microsoft issued, it could be any of those, which is why I suggested calling their support line concerning legal copies of Windows.
Yea, they are all over the place. It is a pain when a customer needs a reload and there is no partition or media. I have most of them but not all.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Beyond the no future updates and NOT licensed MS software messages, I dont remember any other problems continuing to use it.
But doesn't that expose you to malware since updates are ended?

My Hp G56 has a screen that pops up stating that the windows license will expire soon. I went to settings and entered in the product key on the back but it was not accepted. Thinking this is due to an upgrade to windows 8.1 at some point prior to my ownership.

You may have a copy of Winders that will "die" soon, and you may have to BUY a legit copy to keep going.

If all you are using your computer for is EMAIL and internet browsing, ( AND, at the expense of being attacked for even suggesting it,) try downloading a copy of (FREE) Ubuntu Linux. http://www.ubuntu.com/desktop

You can install it and try it. You might find that it is adequate for what you want to use the computer for. (did I say it was free? "they" don't even ask for your email so they can spam you!!)

Just saying.........

Rick

jbcurt00

Staff member
Yes it does unless you take steps to prevent 'em ;)

I have significantly fewer virus/malware problems then pretty much anyone else I know. I run lots of addins and blockers. So nope, no malware for me thanks. Prior to Win10 anyway :facepalm:

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Like Windows updates help protect current supported versions. :facepalm:

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral

Not normally, as the hackers are not focused on XP any longer, if you pick something up, it will likely be an older code that has already had many fixes published for it

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Not normally, as the hackers are not focused on XP any longer, if you pick something up, it will likely be an older code that has already had many fixes published for it

I got the impression that the OP was asking about a special license of Win7 that going to "expire". I would think that using it without updates might be problematic even if it didn't "die" etc.