Will dealers still deal on new boats?

roncar12

Recruit
Hi all I'm looking at a couple of new boats and curious to know if dealers are still willing to deal on new boats - particularly those they have in stock - even in the current environment? Has the sky rocketing gas prices had any impact on a dealers willingness to discount from list price?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
We were hoping you would make some low offers to the dealer and tell us the outcome. LOL

Really no way to know other than check with your local dealers.
It is still spring, and prime boating is still ahead.

You'd have better luck in 4 months.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
I think if gas prices continue to rise as expected and there is no change in energy policy as expected I bet that the boating market will really start to slow down, despite the ramp up in it during the pandemic. When it's over 200 bucks to fill a 40 gallon tank on a small boat it will really start to affect people's decisions. I'd be quite surprised if there weren't a lot of boats for sale at the end of this season.

briangcc

Commander
BUT....there has to be inventory to begin with. At my marina, there really isn't unless you want a 25'+ boat. The smaller (more economical) 19' class are non-existent in any of the makes they carry.

So the caveat to that would be....location, location, and stock.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
with the lots filling up, dealers will be willing to deal soon if they are not already. RV dealers have been making deals for 6 months.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
By the time I get my boat in the water gas at the gas dock will be approaching $6.00 a gallon. That’s $264 to fill the tank, of a 20’ boat. That’s gotta affect sales!

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
By the time I get my boat in the water gas at the gas dock will be approaching $6.00 a gallon. That’s $264 to fill the tank, of a 20’ boat. That’s gotta affect sales!
I have an 80 gallon tank and will need close to 50 gallons to top it off. already have the tube of KY ready

matt167

Captain
My boat has a 6 gallon tank. Will cost under $40 and that will run me for a few outings.. I could have spent $8k on a bigger boat, but I don't regret restoring a tin 14'. Especially now

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
My Whaler uses about 4 gallons for each fishing trip, or lets say 20 bucks.

My Searay family boat uses about 7 gallons for our typical Sunday, or about 35 bucks. Add beer and pop to that, plus a pizza delivered to the dock and we're at about 60 bucks.

A family dinner (just the 2 of us) at our favorite steakhouse restaurant costs 98 bucks, plus tax plus drinks.

We went to a theater for a presentation last Saturday. Tickets, popcorn and drinks cost 70 bucks.

Our boats are value added recreation, even at twice the price of gas.

shrew

Lieutenant
2 x 150 gallon tanks with diesel at $6.59/gallon at the gas dock when i passed it this past weekend. $1,977.00 to fill the tanks from empty. I expect to burn around 500 gallons this summer.

shrew

Lieutenant
As to the OP. New boats are being laid up to order. I commissioned a new Boston Whaler last fall and took possession late this spring. They are not making deals. I bought it at list price with list price for all options. No deals, no free options.

Making deals has to, in part, come from incentives from the factory. That will only occur when the orders slow down dramatically. Otherwise, the dealer would have to have capital tied up in inventory sitting on the lot. The days of a dealer having a lot full of new boats are long gone.

Blorton

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Really glad to have an inexpensive station with long pump aisles on the way to the local ramp and that fillups are running less than $100 for now.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
As to the OP. New boats are being laid up to order. I commissioned a new Boston Whaler last fall and took possession late this spring. They are not making deals. I bought it at list price with list price for all options. No deals, no free options.

Making deals has to, in part, come from incentives from the factory. That will only occur when the orders slow down dramatically. Otherwise, the dealer would have to have capital tied up in inventory sitting on the lot. The days of a dealer having a lot full of new boats are long gone.
For years Boston Whaler had mandated that dealers be quite far apart regionally so there is no price competition. As such, sticker price is expected. If you want a premium boat, don't expect to get a "deal".

Also, don't expect to pay ONLY the sticker price. Dealer prep is an add-on. The only negotiating is on the trade-in.

We ordered ours in 1/2017 and she was delivered 6/2017. They make runs of certain models on certain months, so wait time depends on what you buy.

They gave us a "credit" of $1000 for accessories (anchor, PFDs etc.), but added a $1000 prep fee. Since we had all the old stuff, we paid exactly sticker price. Our trade price was above blue book, so we were happy with the deal.

All in all, the best boat purchase we ever made. And the performance, fuel economy, etc. is simply awesome.

Yous all gets what yous all pays for......

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
I think the Dealers are still experiencing low Inventory levels and since they have the Supply, they can make the Demands regarding price

Blorton

Petty Officer 3rd Class
My local lake was covered with boats today. I don’t see demand slowing down quite as much as some say.