Which States/Provinces Enforce Registration Numbers Requirements

alldodge

Staff member
Just wondering which do
KY requirements states minimum 3 inch high, block letters and contracts color (fade colors ok so long as they contrast). Most what is seen is any but

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Standard requirements for FL and WI

alldodge

Staff member
Most likely standard for all, but in KY I could show pics of ones that could only be read up close, and no where near 3 high. Wondering if others have same issue.

Guessing, all along the IC its 3 high and clear or there are cops showing up

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
3" high is std. in NY. Plus spacing must be right. It IS enforced.

My son bought a brand new boat and the dealer put on custom numbers. He was stopped the first day out because the officer said the contrast wasn't right and it wasn't very visible. The dealer sent him new ones.

alldodge

Staff member
3" high is std. in NY. Plus spacing must be right. It IS enforced.

My son bought a brand new boat and the dealer put on custom numbers. He was stopped the first day out because the officer said the contrast wasn't right and it wasn't very visible. The dealer sent him new ones.
Sounds like if it was ok where your at, if you go boat some where else, that it may not be so good

At least where not in another country. Seen some across the pond that must be 5 inch high

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Could be enforced in any state.

Most likely to be enforced if you do something wrong or pizz off the man.

dwco5051

Commander
Without going to deep into weeds simply said for a state to have primacy in enforcing their own boat laws they must be as strict or stricter than USCG regs. 3" solid contrasting color block letters are USCG regs and thus the same in all states.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
3” = USCG

rallyart

Lieutenant Junior Grade
3" in Canada, contrasting, block lettering. National law. Enforcement is a local thing.

dwco5051

Commander
Not to long after 9/11 I remember seeing a letter from the USCG to all state boating law administrators to concentrate on enforcing numbering violations. This was when they were upping surveillance of dams, bridges, locks, Naval installations, and other infrastructures that could be subject to terrorist attacks. I think that stricter enforcement has waned since then in many areas.

alldodge

Staff member
Guess I should have phrased the question better, as in which states don't enforce the 3 inch block letters. All good just the same

dwco5051

Commander
It is the law in all 50 states and 6 territories. The priority of enforcement is probably unknown. I can say that if you would search citation records it would not help as a violation of numbering is often used as a probable cause to conduct a boarding that may result in more serious violations and the lesser numbering would be reduced to a warning.

Cortes100

Petty Officer 2nd Class
North of the border is a free federal registration. Here in Alberta, going back to 2008, my last 2 new boats had custom letters. They were 3" but not in block form. The last one had 2-tone colors with a shadow effect, matching the boat graphics. Also ran one boat without numbers for the first 2 years (didn't know). I've gone through several Highway check stops, Fish cops at the launch, and have never been questioned. It's always been "nice boat and carry on."

airshot

Rear Admiral
Guess I should have phrased the question better, as in which states don't enforce the 3 inch block letters. All good just the same
Accirding to our coast gard instructor, that is a federal law, states collect the fees for tax purposes but boating registrations, laws for public water ways etc all fall under federal law....so...yes all states will be the same.

alldodge

Staff member
Accirding to our coast gard instructor, that is a federal law, states collect the fees for tax purposes but boating registrations, laws for public water ways etc all fall under federal law....so...yes all states will be the same.
Good grief, now your quoting Fed Reg and laws

Post 1
). Most what is seen is any but
Soooo, not every place does enforce to the exact letter of the law

airshot

Rear Admiral
Good grief, now your quoting Fed Reg and laws

Post 1

Just repeating what the coast gard instructor told us during our boating class !!!

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
The bottom line is that it's not the state or the county or the place.

The regs are the regs. Follow them and there will no problem anywhere or ever.

It's the Officer. If his wife poed him that morning you might be in trouble.

alldodge

Staff member
Same as most LEO's will do nothing if your speed exceeds 5 MPH over, and very few will bother with 8 over.

My observation, if your on the great lakes or coast line, then do it according to the Reg's. If your inland not many will pay any attention unless your doing something stupid

Sorry I brought the subject up

airshot

Rear Admiral
Same as most LEO's will do nothing if your speed exceeds 5 MPH over, and very few will bother with 8 over.

My observation, if your on the great lakes or coast line, then do it according to the Reg's. If your inland not many will pay any attention unless your doing something stupid

Sorry I brought the subject up
The biggest reason that you dont get tickets for 5 mph over is...the mfgrs only garentee the speedometers accuracy to 10% of actual speed. Anyone can request an odometer/ speedometer accuracy statement from any vehicle manufacture and they all hold up in court !! In my younger days, I used that option a couple times in court....and yes the tickets were thrown out and the arresting officers reprimanded for wasting the courts time. With todays electric gages, they are more accurate, so it may not be as easy as it used to be, but officers wont take that chance anymore.
And yes, most of the time people get into trouble is because the are doing something stupid to get noticed !!

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
3" in Canada, contrasting, block lettering. National law. Enforcement is a local thing.
Most Numbers I have seen the past 30 years, are not Block, but Script. I haven't seen any LE officer, getting his Panties into a Knot over it