Wheel Bearing Inspection Interval

Chris51280

Ensign
General question. How often do you take the wheel hub off and inspect bearings and refill with new grease? I assume it depends on salt water, distance towed, how often it goes in the water, bearing buddies/ez-lube system?

Sprig

Chief Petty Officer
Depending on usage I inspect, replace bearings if required and repack every other year. Every trip I inspect inside and outside wheels for grease leakage. A couple times a year I jack up each side of the trailer , spin the tires and check they are not too tight or loose and that there is no unusual noise coming from the hubs and bearings. I also have an infrared digital laser thermometer and check the temperatures of the hubs somewhere along my trip, often when I stop for fuel. Finally I carry a spare set of bearings, seals and grease.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
How often do you take the wheel hub off and inspect bearings
As required….
Flush grease cavity (Ez Lube) and check bearing end play as be part of winterization.

Only remove bearings for further inspection if a bearing is noisy, has excessive end play or if the grease is contaminated with water.

Brake axle averages 2-3 years. Trailing axle bearings has not been out since I replaced the axle in 2017

airshot

Rear Admiral
Depending on usage I inspect, replace bearings if required and repack every other year. Every trip I inspect inside and outside wheels for grease leakage. A couple times a year I jack up each side of the trailer , spin the tires and check they are not too tight or loose and that there is no unusual noise coming from the hubs and bearings. I also have an infrared digital laser thermometer and check the temperatures of the hubs somewhere along my trip, often when I stop for fuel. Finally I carry a spare set of bearings, seals and grease.
This sounds about right for me as well.......

jlh3rd

Chief Petty Officer
my karavan trailer has the sure lube axles. At the end of the season, each wheel is checked for play and , if needed, it is pre-loaded again and then finger tightened. If it can't be set properly, then new bearings would be the next step...
After checking/adjusting, new grease is pumped in until it begins to show up at the hub end......
And I use timken bearings...the ones I bought 5 years ago were USA stamped......yeah, they cost more than the chinese ones.....

Chris51280

Ensign
my karavan trailer has the sure lube axles. At the end of the season, each wheel is checked for play and , if needed, it is pre-loaded again and then finger tightened. If it can't be set properly, then new bearings would be the next step...
After checking/adjusting, new grease is pumped in until it begins to show up at the hub end......
And I use timken bearings...the ones I bought 5 years ago were USA stamped......yeah, they cost more than the chinese ones.....
I'd agree on the bearing quality. I would be afraid they explode at 60mph. Anything other than a china stamp. I had them apart about 4 years ago and they looked good. running quicksilver grease in them which helps with water intrusion/mixing. I think the seal is about due to be replaced since the trailer is now 20 years old. not sure if the bearings are that old

jlh3rd

Chief Petty Officer
if your seals are 20 years old and still working....I'd like the name of that brand for sure....if they're still around....
nothing wrong with preventive maintenance. I don't tow much....Do you?....everyone has their particular circumstances.......seals are inexpensive.
"If it aint broke...."
My book?....proper maintenance trumps overall.....

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Annually. This is especially true if you have drum brakes as you need to inspect them. I never use the LAZ-Lube "feature" as there are many people who end up pushing grease past the rear seal.

Here is a picture of someone using it on a travel trailer. Picture was from a forum I am on.

20180401_121459.jpg

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
First thing I do when i buy a new trailer is pull the junk chinese bearings and put in USA made Timkens. Rockauto has the best price.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
The easiest inspection is grabbing the hubs everytime you stop for gas, groceries etc. Cool to a little warm they're good. Very warm to hot, they need changing. If you keep track of them they won't just fail. I swear by bearing buddies, just don't over fill. Don't add grease every time you go out... I've run bearings for, many, many years w/o replacing or repacking...

Last edited:

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
The best inspection is grabbing the hubs everytime you stop for gas, groceries etc. Cool to a little warm they're good. Very warm to hot, they need changing. If you keep track of them they won't just fail. I swear by bearing buddies, just don't over fill. Don't add grease every time you go out... I've run bearings for, many, many years w/o replacing or repacking...
I have had the same experience, I greased the spindle lube axle I used for 17 years once a year and the only thing I ever did was replace the drum backing plates a few times, (but I could have just replaced the wheel cylinder & adjuster) and replaced the seals at the same time, the bearings were still fine.
When I replaced that old axle with a new higher weight capacity axle, I sold the old one for only $30 less than I paid for it 17 years earlier!
Old 3500 lb axle:
3500 lb 2x2 axle.jpg
new 6000 lb axle:
lowered cross members done.jpg

both made for me by Champion Trailers

WIMUSKY

Staff member
I have had the same experience, I greased the spindle lube axle I used for 17 years once a year and the only thing I ever did was replace the drum backing plates a few times, (but I could have just replaced the wheel cylinder & adjuster) and replaced the seals at the same time, the bearings were still fine.
When I replaced that old axle with a new higher weight capacity axle, I sold the old one for only $30 less than I paid for it 17 years earlier!

Last year I decided to pull my hubs to check on the bearings. They were originals on a 2007 trailer. Replaced them since I had it apart but the original bearings looked fine...

airshot

Rear Admiral
The best inspection is grabbing the hubs everytime you stop for gas, groceries etc. Cool to a little warm they're good. Very warm to hot, they need changing. If you keep track of them they won't just fail. I swear by bearing buddies, just don't over fill. Don't add grease every time you go out... I've run bearings for, many, many years w/o replacing or repacking...
I agree with checking at each outing, only takes a few seconds to touch each hub. However, every other year I do pull the wheels to check and repack the bearings. At the beginning of each season I do jack up each side to grease, check for play and see they spin freely with no play. Correct on the bearing buddies, when I see the plunger has moved, I give them a small shot just enough to see the plunger move out. Mine have a weep hole, if you put to much in, the excess is supposed to come out, but I try not to put that much in...

airshot

Rear Admiral
Last year I decided to pull my hubs to check on the bearings. They were originals on a 2007 trailer. Replaced them since I had it apart but the original bearings looked fine...
If properly maintained, they should be good !!! Good bearings are made to last a looong time, but they must be maintained !!

Drcoffee

Petty Officer 1st Class
First thing I do when i buy a new trailer is pull the junk chinese bearings and put in USA made Timkens. Rockauto has the best price.
I stopped using Timken because they are made in Chyna. Check a brand called BCA. I found that they repackage Japanese bearings like NSK under their name, but the bearing is etched NSK at half the price. I use them on my 4Runner.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Even with made in China bearings I have not had problems, with salt water launches, 2x a year, because it is a moored boat with bottom paint.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I stopped using Timken because they are made in Chyna. Check a brand called BCA. I found that they repackage Japanese bearings like NSK under their name, but the bearing is etched NSK at half the price. I use them on my 4Runner.
LOL...they are not made in China.

Been buying them for both boat trailers and my travel trailer. In fact just bought a complete set for my travel traieler a couple months ago.

All made in the USA

Capture.JPG

airshot

Rear Admiral
Unfortunately made in USA could mean assembled in usa only. Sad state of affairs we have gotten ourselves into !! Many top quality manufacturers are getting there oroducts done overseas....